Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls to bid for 2011 Women's NCAA first round

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...27/1002/sports

Sioux Falls Sports Authority is planning to bid for the first two rounds of the 2011 Women's NCAA Tournament.

They see the Jacks and the Summit League Tournament as two big pluses for the bid.

Re: Sioux Falls to bid for 2011 Women's NCAA first round

That would be a huge "get" for the city.Should have a bigger facility for it, maybe this would help push the idea of a bigger events center through.

Comment

I'm all for getting a newer and larger arena for Sioux Falls, but if you read the article I'm not sure 7100 is too small.

Comment

wow...average attendence for all 32 games ,4,110.Doesn't say much for building a 15,000 seat + Arena.Thirteen had less than 3,000.Must not need a larger arena unless you get a regional or final four....we don't have the population base for that.

Comment

the only way this would help the push for a new arena would be if it worked well enough people thought they should bid for the mens.....

Comment

I really don't know how much consideration SF can expect for this. I think that the success of the Summit League Tournament will be a factor, but I don't know if its enough to put early round regional game here.

If they land it though, that would be a great step and I'll be there, man.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

At least from the article, one conclusion I drew was that SF was fortunate to have some one like Mike Sullivan who has been involved with the NCAA biding before coming to SF. Having him makes the bid a realistic move that may come to fruitation. I think he has the wisdom to go for the women's rather than the men. Makes a great deal of sense to me.

Comment

Yes, I think it is a great and realistic starting point. My brain is going going through a transition trying to think of Sioux Falls as a realistic host for any NCAA tournament basketball event. I see some of the attendance figures for these events in past years and I know that Sioux Falls could draw to exceed those numbers. But then something in my brain wants to downplay the possibility of hosting such an event.

I am thinking though that winning this bid could actually be a reality. A bid to host a men's basketball early round bid would not be possible in the Sioux Falls Arena however.
                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

The Sioux Falls Sports Authority and Mike Sullivan are really an asset to the region as they can ramp up a bid and sponsorship very quickly and efficiently. Many communities have to reivent the wheel every time a potential opportunity arises.

Comment

As Mechelle Voepel has observed, WBB is in an odd no-man's land.... It is neither a true revenue sport (at least not at most schools), nor is it one of the 'charity' sports that the NCAA pays for with MBB tournament money.

As such, the NCAA can't justify first and second round games exclusively at the home-courts of top seeded programs (viz: SDSU VB @ Nebraska, SDSU soccer @ Minn.), nor can they justify putting the events at large venues (as in MBB).

Thus a city like Sioux Falls can, with appropriate financial greasing, put together a good bid for NCAA WBB games.... It too is in an odd transition from too small to matter to a legitimate alternative to Des Moines/Omaha as a regional convention/event city (note, please, that I didn't say that SF is already there, but they are moving in that direction).

In some ways, SF is perfectly matched to the WBB tournament. It -would- be a big deal here. It would draw well--especially if SDSU was invited. It would, in short, work out much better than (IMO) many of the alternatives in the upper midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      As Mechelle Voepel has observed, WBB is in an odd no-man's land.... It is neither a true revenue sport (at least not at most schools), nor is it one of the 'charity' sports that the NCAA pays for with MBB tournament money.

As such, the NCAA can't justify first and second round games exclusively at the home-courts of top seeded programs (viz: SDSU VB @ Nebraska, SDSU soccer @ Minn.), nor can they justify putting the events at large venues (as in MBB).

Thus a city like Sioux Falls can, with appropriate financial greasing, put together a good bid for NCAA WBB games.... It too is in an odd transition from too small to matter to a legitimate alternative to Des Moines/Omaha as a regional convention/event city (note, please, that I didn't say that SF is already there, but they are moving in that direction).

In some ways, SF is perfectly matched to the WBB tournament. It -would- be a big deal here. It would draw well--especially if SDSU was invited. It would, in short, work out much better than (IMO) many of the alternatives in the upper midwest.
                      Sioux Falls could work extremely well as a 1st round site for WBB. About 2 weeks earlier, SF would host the Summit League, then turn around and have the next level, and probably including SDSU. Unless there is a tremendous drop in talent, SDSU will STILL be dominating the Summit in 2011. That is only 2 years away. Kristin, Jill, Vanessa, Leah are all likely to be playing still. Yes, this '10-'11 team won't have Ketty, Jen W., and the earlier stars, but unlikely to not continue to dominate the Summit.

Even if it isn't the Jacks, very possible that the Summit League champ may be returned to the Arena, as they were just here and won that right just 2 weeks earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        Sioux Falls could work extremely well as a 1st round site for WBB. About 2 weeks earlier, SF would host the Summit League, then turn around and have the next level, and probably including SDSU. Unless there is a tremendous drop in talent, SDSU will STILL be dominating the Summit in 2011. That is only 2 years away. Kristin, Jill, Vanessa, Leah are all likely to be playing still. Yes, this '10-'11 team won't have Ketty, Jen W., and the earlier stars, but unlikely to not continue to dominate the Summit.

Even if it isn't the Jacks, very possible that the Summit League champ may be returned to the Arena, as they were just here and won that right just 2 weeks earlier.
                        And there's a not insignificant chance that two Summit teams could make the field of 64. I'm not saying the NCAA will look at things this way, but I could see a future with both SDSU & NDSU* playing in each of the first round games in SF and at least one of them moving on to the second round game. That would be great for tourney revenue.

*Now don't take this to mean that I think NDSU is a sure thing for a Summit crown in 2011, or that we're going to kick your ass next year or something. I'm just saying that two years is long enough to build a program(especially after last year's surprising performance) and that recruiting has been going pretty well. Couple that with a new coach that's been making quite an impact, and we might have a chance in 2011.

Comment

Sioux Falls is certainly as good a bet as Lubbock was. Since Texas Tech didn't make the tournament, the crowd from Lubbock was very small (and it is a lot harder place to get teams to). The only thing that kept the attendance up at all was the great following by the Jack fans and pretty good attendance by the Baylor crowd. Obviously SF doesn't need a bigger event center than it has now for the women's tournament, but if they get some first and/or second round games, it will help light the fire for a larger center to host a men's first rounder.

Comment

WBB tournament? if SDSU or even a Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska or Creighton was there it would be alright.... SDSU it would probably sell out for there games.... but at the same point if its TCU, BYU, OSU and UNLV.... I don't think too many people would show up....

as far as the bid.... I think its just the money....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              if its TCU, BYU, OSU and UNLV.... I don't think too many people would show up....
                              The NCAA does tend to keep a fairly regional profile to the pairings (three Texas teams at Lubbock, etc.) which helps.

Also, attendance for the IUPUI/IPFW & Oakland/UMKC games were certainly respectable and definitely better than attendance at some of the NCAA first (and SECOND!!) round games.

Comment

Working...
                              X