Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Tourney From USD Perspective

Back for More,

I went to the Sunday session of the Summit tourney for the games between IUPUI vs S Utah and IPFW vs Oakland.

Met Filbert and JackJD and both were tolerable considering my reputation here and nice people. I didn't catch too much flack for wearing my USD garb from anyone, at least not directly. It was pretty funny that the big screen had to catch a shot of me sitting with primarily SDSU fans. I went with an old work friend that also happens to be a passionate SDSU fan.

Now to the competitiveness. The teams are good but they aren't out of this world good. I noticed that fundamental basketball is still very important at the Summit Level. There were some very bone headed turnovers. IUPUI was a team I felt did not play up to their talent level. They had some very athletic guys, moreso than S Utah but didn't take advantage of it and ended up losing the game. Oakland was the most impressive team that I saw. I think NDSU was a bit lucky to beat them in the final as I felt Oakland was the better team through most of the game, but that was from my television perspective. In the games I saw in person there wasn't quite the level of urgency being displayed that I thought considering it was play for your lives basketball. I think the stale arena atmosphere might have contributed. I have noticed in NCC post season tourneys the same sort of ho hum basketball gets played because of an somewhat empty gym atmosphere. It was probably much different in the NDSU and SDSU sessions because the buzz level would have been different.

As far as USD, I personally think they would finish somewhere between 4th and 9th. I don't think they would win the conference but don't think they would finish last either. Where they would finish I think is up to interpretation but it's probably somewhere in the middle. Tyler Cain IMO would be a top 5-10 player in the Summit after that the falloff happens a bit but that is natural since he is a very good player. USD would probably be a bit on the slow side but their size would fit in well. They would be ok in a half court game but if a team up tempoed the game USD would probably not be able to keep up athletically or depthwise. I didn't really see a team that really ran up and down the court. It appears the Summit is mostly a half court conference. I kind of thought by past comments about Oakland that they were an up and down the court team but I really didn't see it a whole lot. They are just big and athletic everywhere. Generally what I saw from the tourney is exactly what I expected to see a nice brand of basketball at a low/mid major level but at a place where people cared about the tournament. It is nice to see the Summit lifted up in Sioux Falls

I liked the decor displayed at the Arena with the school logos on the floor and pillars in the arena entryway. It would be nice to have a better arena in Sioux Falls but I think peoples ire towards the arena is a bit overblow. I thought it was a respectable event. The Big screen sandwiching the top of the scoreboard helped the look inside. Hopefully the Summit will come back to Sioux Falls in a few years after USD's hopefull inclusion happens. I would like to see how well the Coyote fans could draw. Based on the 2,500 of them down in Kearney last year for the Womens title game I would think at minimum 4-5K would show up for a conference tourney game for the Men in Sioux Falls.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: Summit League Tourney From USD Perspective

I know people like to compare the old NCC to the Summit in terms of how tough the two conferences were, but I really don't think people factor in the travel that D-1 and the Summit League requires of teams. The NCC had all of the conference games and most, if not all of the non-conference games within driving distance. In the Summit League there are very few games in conference that you can drive to.

Collectively, all of the Summit League teams only won 29% of the road games they played this year. That is an extremely low number of wins for a conference. Only two teams had a winning record on the road of the 10 Summit League teams. Conversely, all of the Summit League teams won 56% of their home games. Seven of the Ten teams had winning records at home.

SDSU is probably the best example in the difference in playing at home and playing on the road against D-1 competion. At home SDSU was 10-3. On the road 1-15. If USD is accepted into the Summit, it will take some time to adjust to the travel and it will adversely effect their record.

I'm not trying to debate on weather USD or any other former NCC team would have success in the Summit, I'm just wondering if people actually factor the travel into their projections on how much success former NCC teams would have in the Summit. I cringed when Stu makes comments about former NCC teams and how much success they would have in the Summit League tourney, because I'm not sure he understands the travel issue either. The last Summit Tourney was in Sioux Falls and NDSU men and SDSU women both won the tourney. The SDSU men exceeded my expectation and won the opening round game against Oral Roberts. The NDSU women won the opening round dispite being short handed. But neither of these two teams had to travel very far to get to the games. The outcome of these game would have been completely different if the tourney was held in Tulsa. Just look at how much success Oral Roberts has had in men's and women's BB during the tourney when held in Tulsa. But when they had to go on the road, both teams lost in the first round. I'm not sure that had ever happened to that school before.

Sorry for rambling on, but the biggest difference between the old NCC and the Summit League is not talent, but travel. The Summit League has better overall talent and the travel is a hard thing for players to adjust to.

Go State!!!
    Go Jacks!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I had not thought that much about the travel aspect, but it is a valid fact of consideration. I think too, that at least what I have seen of the Summit, in transition coming off a defense rebound, the guards have to move or take very good care of the ball. There is theft of the ball, that you never saw in the NCC IMO. Also after pulling down rebounds, the defensive big guys will attempt to steal the ball. The NCC was kind of lacksadaisel in ball handling, and maybe it was the various offenses schemes that made it that way. A Point guard could bring the ball up court and not hardly be pressed, but it happens all the time in Summit, and I noticed in the many of the Big Dance games there were more people pressing during transition. In mind it no doubt better basketball. I think the Coyotes would find the Summit a big surprise and they would quickly have to make adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
        I know people like to compare the old NCC to the Summit in terms of how tough the two conferences were, but I really don't think people factor in the travel that D-1 and the Summit League requires of teams. The NCC had all of the conference games and most, if not all of the non-conference games within driving distance. In the Summit League there are very few games in conference that you can drive to.

Collectively, all of the Summit League teams only won 29% of the road games they played this year. That is an extremely low number of wins for a conference. Only two teams had a winning record on the road of the 10 Summit League teams. Conversely, all of the Summit League teams won 56% of their home games. Seven of the Ten teams had winning records at home.

SDSU is probably the best example in the difference in playing at home and playing on the road against D-1 competion. At home SDSU was 10-3. On the road 1-15. If USD is accepted into the Summit, it will take some time to adjust to the travel and it will adversely effect their record.

I'm not trying to debate on weather USD or any other former NCC team would have success in the Summit, I'm just wondering if people actually factor the travel into their projections on how much success former NCC teams would have in the Summit. I cringed when Stu makes comments about former NCC teams and how much success they would have in the Summit League tourney, because I'm not sure he understands the travel issue either. The last Summit Tourney was in Sioux Falls and NDSU men and SDSU women both won the tourney. The SDSU men exceeded my expectation and won the opening round game against Oral Roberts. The NDSU women won the opening round dispite being short handed. But neither of these two teams had to travel very far to get to the games. The outcome of these game would have been completely different if the tourney was held in Tulsa. Just look at how much success Oral Roberts has had in men's and women's BB during the tourney when held in Tulsa. But when they had to go on the road, both teams lost in the first round. I'm not sure that had ever happened to that school before.

Sorry for rambling on, but the biggest difference between the old NCC and the Summit League is not talent, but travel. The Summit League has better overall talent and the travel is a hard thing for players to adjust to.

Go State!!!
        Go Jacks!!!
        I think travel has something to do with it and SDSU's Men's team is the best example but I won't go quite as far as you do. The SDSU Women and NDSU Men were the #1 seeds. If the games were played in Oakland, would they be sending 2 teams the the NCAA tourney's? Maybe! But other than at Oakland SDSU's Women would have probably won regardless of where the tourney was played. SDSU and Oakland were head and shoulders better than anybody else in the conference. The NDSU Women were the #3 seed. They were favored to win the game they won. They were short handed all year and still had the 3rd best conference record. Next year, SDSU's and NDSU's Women's teams will win their first games again. They are 2 of the top 3 teams in the league.
        It just happened that this year was NDSU's Men's year to be stacked. I might be wrong but I don't know if NDSU's and SDSU's Men's teams will win their first games next year(assuming they aren't the #4/#5 or #3/#6 seeds and play each other). I think SDSU's Men will be better and win but I'll have to wait on NDSU. They lose about 75% of their minutes played against SDSU. They may have talent but with so little experience, I'll wait until I see them play to judge that.
        Was Oakland considered the 3rd home team because they had the 3rd most fans, dance team and cheerleaders? Other than SDSU's Men, the teams that were the top seeds won(for the most part). Home court had something to do with it but the top seeds, were from SDSU, NDSU and Oakland. Oral Roberts and SDSU's Men's game was a great example for you but other than that game, the top seeds normally held their own. How much different would it have been playing somewhere else, I don't know. I think the Women's game's would have been about the same.

Comment

Working...
        X