Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton 'upsets' West Virginia

Anyone watch that game?

All I can say is it did NOT look like an upset. Dayton was the better team and led almost the entire game. Frankly, it looked like the seeds were reversed.

IMO, this game is a perfect indictment of BCS or even, dare I say it, Big East bias.

I defy ANYONE who saw that game to say that WVU deserved its seed.

Re: Dayton 'upsets' West Virginia

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Anyone watch that game?

All I can say is it did NOT look like an upset. Dayton was the better team and led almost the entire game. Frankly, it looked like the seeds were reversed.

IMO, this game is a perfect indictment of BCS or even, dare I say it, Big East bias.

No argument here. I am so sick of the ACC/Big East bias. Granted they always have good teams, but we have some good basketball east of the Ohio River.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      No argument here. I am so sick of the ACC/Big East bias. Granted they always have good teams, but we have some good basketball east of the Ohio River.
      I think giving three #1s to the Big East is going to result in a major flame-out this year. Especially since at least the number one number one (Louisville) seemed to be more by default than anything else...

I would almost, but not quite, bet that a Big East team is =not= going to win this year....

I mean you're looking at an entire conference that, IMO, deserves the 'over-rated' chant.

BTW: Check out the non-conf schedules of Pitt, UConn and Lousiville:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/team/pi...hedule-results
      http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/team/co...hedule-results
      http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/team/lo...hedule-results

Can you come up with even a half-dozen good non-conf WINS between those three teams? Louisville lost by fourteen to Western Kentucky, for cryin' out loud.

These teams' status as #1 seeds depends solely on the selection committee believing the Big East hype.

Comment

Anyone watch that game?

Agree, Dayton had them the whole game. KU/Dayton is going to be an interesting matchup.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This morning on Mike & Mike they played Huggins comments that it is easier to win the NCAA tournament than the Big East because no easy first round game basically. M&M both said he had a good point and that big East is like starting in sweet 16 (or something to that effect). Wonder what they will say now.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            This morning on Mike & Mike they played Huggins comments that it is easier to win the NCAA tournament than the Big East because no easy first round game basically. M&M both said he had a good point and that big East is like starting in sweet 16 (or something to that effect). Wonder what they will say now.
            And there you go. Classic "We're bigger than the tournament" remark.

Pretty danged snide remark when you look at NCAA championships over the last 20 years:

Big East - 3 (UConn x 2, Syracuse)
            SEC - 5 (Arkansas, Kentucky x 2, Florida x 2)
            PAC 10 - 2 (UCLA, Arizona)
            Big 10 - 2 (Michigan, Michigan State)
            ACC - 6 (Duke x 3, North Carolina x 2, Maryland)
            Big 12 - 1 (Kansas)
            Big West - 1 (UNLV)

And the Big East has produced only 1 BCS champion--Miami, a school which is now in the ACC.

Big East = overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
              That makes me ill. Mike Greenberg might be the biggest east coast homer out of anyone at ESPN. Moreso than Dickie V. and his weird man crush on UNC and Duke.

Comment

The Big East is 9-1 right now in the tournament, with three teams in the Sweet Sixteen already and chances to add another three this afternoon.

West Virginia had a bad loss, but it's hard to call the rest of the conference overrated based on their performance thus far.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Dayton lost today to Kansas.

I was hoping they could beat the Jayhawks but.....

A close friend of mine from my childhood in Casper, Wyoming is a professor at University of Dayton. She's a Flyers fan. Several of the players were students of hers prior to this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    The Big East is 9-1 right now in the tournament, with three teams in the Sweet Sixteen already and chances to add another three this afternoon.

West Virginia had a bad loss, but it's hard to call the rest of the conference overrated based on their performance thus far.
                    Yeah, 9-1 with favorable seeding.

Pitt pushed to the limit by #16 East Tennessee State & #8 Oklahoma State.

Louisville struggling against #9 Siena.

UConn & Villanova have impressed me, none of the other teams have.

You can't be impressed with ANYTHING that Pitt & Louisville have done on the court, and they're number one seeds.... Syracuse hasn't been bad, but that's faint praise for a #3 seed.

You give the best three teams from the Pac-10, Big 10, SEC, ACC or Big 12 number one seeds and they'll all be in the Sweet 16 too. Heck, I think the top 3 teams from the A-10 would've acquitted themselves as well as the Big East's top three teams have thus far, if they got the peach matchups a #1 seed gets (okay, perhaps I exaggerate).

So but me no buts about how the Big East has FIVE teams in the Sweet 16. They have FIVE in the sweet 16 because THREE teams were dang near guaranteed spots in the sweet 16, and TWO of those teams had a hard time getting there.

In 20 years, the Big East has won 3 national championships. They are NOT the premier basketball conference in Division 1. They're just the most assiduous self-promoters in D-1. Go look at the non-conf schedule for the best teams in the Big East.

Gee, it's nice to know you can get a #1 seed by virtue of beating such schools as Vermont and Maryland-Baltimore County.

Comment

In 20 years, the Big East has won 3 national championships. They are NOT the premier basketball conference in Division 1. They're just the most assiduous self-promoters in D-1. Go look at the non-conf schedule for the best teams in the Big East.

Gee, it's nice to know you can get a #1 seed by virtue of beating such schools as Vermont and Maryland-Baltimore County.
                      I don't doubt you about the OOC schedules one bit. Who do you think is the premier league for Mens Basketball?

Any possible arguments would be entertained here. I really don't know who I would pick.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        I don't doubt you about the OOC schedules one bit. Who do you think is the premier league for Mens Basketball?

Any possible arguments would be entertained here. I really don't know who I would pick.
                        Right now? I'd have to go with the Big 12. Hate to say it, as I don't like to see one conference do that well in basketball and football, but so it goes....

The Big 12 has 3 teams in the Sweet 16 with 2 #3 seeds. That's more impressive, IMO that the Big East getting 5 teams in, with three of them being #1 seeds.

The selection committee anointed the Big East as the best conference in the country. The Big 12 schools, IMO, have proven that to be a questionable conclusion.

-----

After that, I suppose it's a toss-up between the Big East & the Big Ten. The SEC and Pac-10 aren't that impressive and the ACC is just showing--once again--that two teams do not make a conference....

Comment

You give the best three teams from the Pac-10, Big 10, SEC, ACC or Big 12 number one seeds and they'll all be in the Sweet 16 too.
                          UCLA was the number 2 team in the Pac 10 and they got destroyed by Villanova. ASU was the number 3 team. They got beat by Cuse.

The SEC was even worse. LSU should have had a higher seed than 8 though.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                            UCLA was the number 2 team in the Pac 10 and they got destroyed by Villanova. ASU was the number 3 team. They got beat by Cuse.

The SEC was even worse. LSU should have had a higher seed than 8 though.
                            That was really more of a comment about the easy path that a #1 seed has, than an assertion that the SEC & Pac-10 are as good as the Big East this year (clearly, they're not).

Comment

7 teams in the tournament. 3 number one seeds. 2 schools in the final 4. 0 teams in the championship game for the 5th year in a row. I'm still calling the Big East overrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X