Coyotes Women Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyotes Women Basketball

USD just knocked off UNI in the Dome 76-67.

Informational purposes only.

Re: Coyotes Women Basketball

Just because Yotes succeed doesn't mean it's bound for smack, hence move to College Athletics.

Nice win! Home victory over a mid-MoValley team. How's the new coach handling the transition?

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      Just because Yotes succeed doesn't mean it's bound for smack, hence move to College Athletics.

Nice win! Home victory over a mid-MoValley team. How's the new coach handling the transition?
      Didn't know where to put it. never intended it to be smack, but didn't want to post in your womens section either.

I am not sure about Coach Williams. Seems like a nice guy. Had a good track record at Wayne State, but how that ranslates into D-I wins I don't know.

Comment

Per heading at College Athletics - We're interested in how other programs do, and game scores, changes in coaches, success in recruiting, etc fit here.

Capital improvements, setting up med outreach centers in SD - Around SD section.

Smack should only be good hearted ribbing that should complete within a week of the event.

Comment

Colton's big sister Kara had a career high 17 pts. in that game.

Comment

I have a question about Amber Hegge. So those of you who know how the scholarship/elgibility thing works, please answer.

Amber (arguably USD's best basketball player on their roster) is redshirting this year in basketball, but she is currently competing on their Track Team. How does competing on their Track Team not affect the number of elgible semesters she has to compete? I understand she isn't on scholarship for Track, but doesn't it still affect the number of elgible semesters she has to compete (8 semesters)?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I have a question about Amber Hegge. So those of you who know how the scholarship/elgibility thing works, please answer.

Amber (arguably USD's best basketball player on their roster) is redshirting this year in basketball, but she is currently competing on their Track Team. How does competing on their Track Team not affect the number of elgible semesters she has to compete? I understand she isn't on scholarship for Track, but doesn't it still affect the number of elgible semesters she has to compete (8 semesters)?
              Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have 5 years of eligibility to compete in any number of college athletics. Someone is going to have to confirm this though because I'm just going by word of mouth. That number may be 6 years, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have 5 years of eligibility to compete in any number of college athletics. Someone is going to have to confirm this though because I'm just going by word of mouth. That number may be 6 years, too.
                You are correct. You can participate in more than one sport during a given year and it doesn't take away from your overall eligibility. Technically you have 10 semesters to complete 4 years of athletic eligibility once you start playing sports. It doesn't matter if you play one sport or three.

Comment

I risk being smacky here, but Mr. Garry's head line or was it the sports editors, said the win over UNI was huge. I sure its great to get the first D1 win and well UNI has not been the toughest opponent that SDSU faced in the last 5 year so I fail to recognize the hugeness here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I risk being smacky here, but Mr. Garry's head line or was it the sports editors, said the win over UNI was huge. I sure its great to get the first D1 win and well UNI has not been the toughest opponent that SDSU faced in the last 5 year so I fail to recognize the hugeness here.
                    This is what I thought about the headline as well....nice to have that first DI win...but huge? Probably not.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I think the same headline will be used when the SDSU Men's BBall team gets its first conference win on the road (it won't matter which team they beat).
                      Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 02-11-2009, 03:44 PM.

Comment

???

I don't get what you are saying. You're trying to say that because SDSU has faced much tougher competition than UNI, USD's win isn't huge?

I completely disagree, and I'll tell you why. The Coyote women have been struggling this year. There is a locked thread in the Smack section about how they lost to a D3 school. So I'd say them beating UNI is a big step for the program.

Also completely unrelated: I had no idea that Amber Hegge wasn't playing this year. That girl was a stud last year. She is a phenomenal athlete, her not playing explains quite a lot about the women's struggles.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I think the first win against a Division I opponent is important news for any program. Congratulations to the women of USD.

Comment

I guess you could say its huge because its there first D-I win and its like getting over the hill.... there is many of them.... first D-I win, first D-I road win, first big time win... first conference win... first conference away win... and so on...... but as far as beating UNI being a big win? well no.... there womens team is pretty bad..... As far as USD, they've had some pretty bad luck, Hegge is redshriting, Brown tore her ACL, they have some transfers who aren't eligible yet..... I think that there womens program will be fine when they get everything taken care of.... They are probably the 3rd or 4th best womens team in the state this year...

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I guess you could say its huge because its there first D-I win and its like getting over the hill.... there is many of them.... first D-I win, first D-I road win, first big time win... first conference win... first conference away win... and so on...... but as far as beating UNI being a big win? well no.... there womens team is pretty bad..... As far as USD, they've had some pretty bad luck, Hegge is redshriting, Brown tore her ACL, they have some transfers who aren't eligible yet..... I think that there womens program will be fine when they get everything taken care of.... They are probably the 3rd or 4th best womens team in the state this year...
                              I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to SD college women's basketball other than SDSU . . . who else do you think is better than USD, and why?
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X