UND's new mascot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND's new mascot

I think it'd take a couple years to patch things up with the ND Sioux tribes enough to get their okay to continued use of the Sioux nickname and consensus is they suddenly don't have that much time, so here's a poll or (perhaps a pool) for a new nickname. It's half serious and based on things that might be relevant to North Dakota....

So keep your responses half serious and based on things that might be relevant to North Dakota
    Rough Riders (as in Teddy Roosevelt--get your mind out of the gutter)
    11.76%
    Explorers (as in Lewis & Clark)
    5.88%
    Beet Farmers
    14.71%
    Cougars
    0.00%
    Eagles
    0.00%
    Potato Bugs
    17.65%
    Almost Canadians
    26.47%
    Something else (post)
    23.53%

Re: UND's new mascot

You haven't been lurking on Bisonville long enough. You're missing the two most important choices: Flickertails* and Firetrucks**.

*nickname prior to Sioux
    **Bisonville slang for UND. Comes from a thread a few years back when a poster joked that UND will always follow NDSU; if NDSU changed their name to the Blaze, UND would change theirs to the Firetrucks. It stuck. It's also funny because UND only changed their name from Flickertails to Sioux because NDSU changed theirs from Farmers(?) to Bison. The reason: because the Sioux hunted Bison. <sigh> Always a follower, never a leader. <grin>

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
      You haven't been lurking on Bisonville long enough. You're missing the two most important choices: Flickertails* and Firetrucks**.

*nickname prior to Sioux
      **Bisonville slang for UND. Comes from a thread a few years back when a poster joked that UND will always follow NDSU; if NDSU changed their name to the Blaze, UND would change theirs to the Firetrucks. It stuck. It's also funny because UND only changed their name from Flickertails to Sioux because NDSU changed theirs from Farmers(?) to Bison. The reason: because the Sioux hunted Bison. <sigh> Always a follower, never a leader. <grin>
      I tried to find an explanation for "Firetrucks" without having to register and post on Bisonville, but no soap. I think it's a hilarious nickname.

Flickertail is funny because you'd have a huge debate over what exactly a flickertail is. Some call squirrels flickertails, others call gophers flickertails, then you have those who refer to gophers as 'ground squirrels', and those who refer to all squirrels as ground squirrels. I remember violence nearly erupting during an argument over this in a linguistics class in the basement of Scobey (should be -Scabby-) Hall--home of the annual sewage backup.

Comment

Whatever a Flickertail is, I like it since it has some history connected to it. Whatever they choose, I hope it's not one of those singular names like "Thunder" or "Fire" or whatever. Those are just stupid.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Too many cougars, eagles, Lions (who would want that name especially after the Detroit Lions) and other common animal names. In Michigan we had a controversy with some church wanting the Wyandotte Chiefs nicknamed banned for the inaugural, its a marching high school band, the chief of the Wyandotte Nation called and said he was proud that the school had the nickname Chiefs and said it was an honor to the tribe and for them to keep using it.
          If they change the Sioux change it to something that will get attention nationwide like the Slugs from Cal Northridge or whatever Cal school uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
            Too many cougars, eagles, Lions (who would want that name especially after the Detroit Lions) and other common animal names. In Michigan we had a controversy with some church wanting the Wyandotte Chiefs nicknamed banned for the inaugural, its a marching high school band, the chief of the Wyandotte Nation called and said he was proud that the school had the nickname Chiefs and said it was an honor to the tribe and for them to keep using it.
            If they change the Sioux change it to something that will get attention nationwide like the Slugs from Cal Northridge or whatever Cal school uses it.
            UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

A nickname someone gave UND back on the D2 board when the lawsuit/nickname debate came up was the University of North Dakota Fighting Sue.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

My brother is a UND alum and a hockey season ticket holder. He was always against the name change and even went as far as suggesting that if they do change the name they should make it the "Fighting 7th Cavalry" or at least the UND Cavalry. He has since moved near a reservation and has gotten to know several Native Americans and now has changed his stance and believes it should be changed. UND is stupid for not changing the name and should just get it done. The pain of not doing it is going to be much greater than the pain of doing it.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Maybe they should embrace their geographic location in the frozen north and be the Yetis or the Sasquatches, especially if they want admission to the Summit where unique animal names like Jackrabbits, Kangaroos, and Mastadons exist.
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                    Maybe they should embrace their geographic location in the frozen north and be the Yetis or the Sasquatches, especially if they want admission to the Summit where unique animal names like Jackrabbits, Kangaroos, and Mastadons exist.
                    How about University of North Dakota Neanderthals? That kind of has a ring to it.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

IMO, Rough Riders would be a front runner--simply because it's unique and because it does tie in with Teddy Roosevelt (who lived in an INCREDIBLY tiny shack out in the ND Badlands--I've seen it). I mean there's a nickname that comes with a built-in mascot (ol' TR himself).

---

A funny remark from the Bison Media blog was a reader who suggested that the Fargo USHL team be called the "beet trucks" because there was nothing in North Dakota that was more dangerous in the fall.

---

Also possible: The North Dakota Flat-Landers; or (as a better reference for fans and administration in denial about their mascot) the North Dakota Flat-Earthers.

---

North Dakota Flyovers?

Comment

Flickertails.

Definitely.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think it should be the UND Roughnecks, lots of Oilfiled workers would like that

For those that don't know a roughneck is grunt on a Drilling rig

deep down i'll bet money on the Roughriders
                          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Flickertails.

Definitely.
                            It's a 1949 Buick Roadmaster. Straight 8. Fireball 8. Only 8,985 production models. Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday. Uh Oh. Fifteen minutes to Wapner.

Comment

Apparently Phil Jackson favors "Rough Riders" as well.

So I guess some guy charging up a hill is the new UND mascot.

Or it could be a hat.

Or Teddy's pince-nez; yeah, that would be cool. The only school in the country with eye-glasses as a logo.

Comment

Working...
                              X