Coach Ellerson leaving Cal-Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Ellerson leaving Cal-Poly

Just saw this announce on College Football Live. Ellerson is headed to Army to take over. Haven't got a link yet from ESPN.

Edit: Here is your link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3793546
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Re: Coach Ellerson leaving Cal-Poly

Congrats to Coach Ellerson. Good luck to Cal-Poly in finding his replacement.

Comment

It will be interesting if Cal-Poly hires within to keep a similiar type of offense or brings somebody different in, who will implement a totally new system. Ellerson's offense can be credited to much of Cal-Poly's success and his system should fit Army's personnel limitations or advantages depending if you like the spread wing/flexbone option type of offense. I believe Army got back to that type of offense after the great Bobby Ross.

Comment

I understand the family ties angle, but this doesn't seem like much of a move for Ellerson. He'll be working with outstanding young men, of course, but it's not ever going to be a powerhouse program. And I'm thinking San Luis Obispo is a nicer place to live (it's got to be one of the nicest places to live in the U.S.) Stig has always described Ellerson as a "free spirit" which isn't exactly my idea of the perfect fit at West Point. It just strikes me as odd.

I hope for our sake that Cal Poly picks somebody who wants to change their system so we'll have an easier time in SLO next year. Surely it'll be easier since Dally and Barden are gone.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I understand the family ties angle, but this doesn't seem like much of a move for Ellerson. He'll be working with outstanding young men, of course, but it's not ever going to be a powerhouse program. And I'm thinking San Luis Obispo is a nicer place to live (it's got to be one of the nicest places to live in the U.S.) Stig has always described Ellerson as a "free spirit" which isn't exactly my idea of the perfect fit at West Point. It just strikes me as odd.

I hope for our sake that Cal Poly picks somebody who wants to change their system so we'll have an easier time in SLO next year. Surely it'll be easier since Dally and Barden are gone.
          I agree, I thought it was more of a step backward than a step forward for Ellerson

Comment

He is moving to a FBS school with a ton of history. It is a step up in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
              He is moving to a FBS school with a ton of history. It is a step up in my mind.
              Sure, it's a step up, but not a big one. Look at Army's schedule. It's a parade of the lamest FBS programs. Temple. Akron. Eastern Michigan. Rice. Buffalo.

On the upside, he's moving from near the top of FCS to the very bottom of FBS. Looks like they average about 20,000 fans in a 40,000 stadium. They do have a really nice football training building. And there are about 200 kids on the roster. So funding doesn't appear to be a problem.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Couldn't this be looked at as a stepping stone type of move. Could he really have moved up into FBS from where he was? If he makes any impact at Army the next FBS job becomes that much easier to attain. Even winning an FCS national title doesn't give him guaranteed inroads to a a decent FBS job. A couple above .500 seasons at Army and he's on to a mid-major type of position within the next five years.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

PREDICTION FROM THE LEFT FIELD BLEACHERS:

I would venture a guess that Cal-Poly will look closely at, and potentially name, Gordie Shaw as their new head coach. Gordie is the assitant Head Coach at USD, and came to the Coyotes from the University of Minnesota.

Gordie has nationwide connections from his time at Minnesota, and most importantly is a graduate and former player at Cal-Poly. Almost every coach I know thinks about "going home" to coach.

Don't be surprised if Cal-Poly hires Gordie Shaw.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                    Gordie has nationwide connections from his time at Minnesota, and most importantly is a graduate and former player at Cal-Poly. Almost every coach I know thinks about "going home" to coach.
                    I don't know Coach Shaw. Is he from that area or did he just play there?

Comment

I would venture a guess that Cal-Poly will look closely at, and potentially name, Gordie Shaw as their new head coach. Gordie is the assitant Head Coach at USD, and came to the Coyotes from the University of Minnesota.

Sounds like an interesting possibility. USD's offense performed very well at Cal Poly this year. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Cal Poly is one of my favorite FCS programs, so I'm hoping they get somebody good (but not too good since we play them again next year.)
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Why did Shaw take the job at USD in the first place? I've always wondered that.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Why did Shaw take the job at USD in the first place? I've always wondered that.
                          Fair question. As I understand it, he is good friends with Meierkort. Secondly, someone told me his daughter lives at Dakota Dunes (North Sioux City) and that is basically his only family.

Other than that doc, I have no idea. He's an ok sort of guy, but from what little I have been around him, if he is hired, I don't think Cal-Poly will put him on the speaker circuit.

I guess he has done a decent job, but really not sure. His credentials are good, and blood line is good, that's why I made the prediction.

Have a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                            I don't know Coach Shaw. Is he from that area or did he just play there?
                            My understanding is he played there and is in the Hall of Fame there. I really don't know all that much about the guy.

happy New Year

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Sounds like an interesting possibility. USD's offense performed very well at Cal Poly this year. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Cal Poly is one of my favorite FCS programs, so I'm hoping they get somebody good (but not too good since we play them again next year.)
                              I have never been there myself. What makes them one of your favorite FCS teams?

Hope you had a Merry Christmas

Comment

Working...
                              X