UND and possible name change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND and possible name change

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...DATES/81017019

Re: UND and possible name change

How about a rename the Sioux Contest. The Red River Valley is good potato growing country so how about the Fighting PotatoHeads

Comment

Fighting Snotrockets. Everyone already knows who I'm talking about when I use the term, anyway.

My proposed newer, less racist mascot...

*slowly backing away from thread

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
        How about a rename the Sioux Contest. The Red River Valley is good potato growing country so how about the Fighting PotatoHeads
        Not bad but too close to the Moorhead High School (MN) Spuds.

Comment

Maybe right, what would you say if there was an injured player on the field or a good hit. Something like, " that potato was baked" "we have an injured head on the field" Maybe as cold as it gets up there how a bout the Fighting Icicles.

Comment

There is absolutely nothing wrong with their prior Fighting Sioux name-The Flickertails.

I have no documentation, but would not be surprised they choose Flickertails because U of M, choose Gophers. The two species are a lot alike. It would fit in with the prairie ecology of Jackrabbits, Coyotes and Bison

Comment

I am not a wildlife and fisheries major, but I thought a flickertail was a bird.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
                Fighting Snotrockets. Everyone already knows who I'm talking about when I use the term, anyway.

My proposed newer, less racist mascot...

*slowly backing away from thread
                I would like to officially cast my vote for the Fighting Snotrockets.

One question: Should "Snotrockets" be two words or perhaps hyphenated?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  I would like to officially cast my vote for the Fighting Snotrockets.

One question: Should "Snotrockets" be two words or perhaps hyphenated?

A hyphen might be more appropriate there. We'll see what their committe has to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    I am not a wildlife and fisheries major, but I thought a flickertail was a bird.
                    Nope a ground squirrel also North Dakota's state animal. Look for a comeback to UND

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                      Its a ground squirrel and was almost North Dakota's state animal. A bill to make it a state animal was voted down in 1953. The NPR guy on this link below has to be a passionate UND grad.

http://www.prairiepublic.org/program...rtailstate.jsp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flickertail

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Its a ground squirrel and was almost North Dakota's state animal. A bill to make it a state animal was voted down in 1953. The NPR guy on this link below has to be a passionate UND grad.

He has to be. Nobody else on God's green earth could possibly know what Merrifield Hall is. He should also have pointed out that a very comfortable majority of that building's tenants disapprove of the 'racist mascot' they currently have... English, Foreign Languages, History, and... The American Indian Studies Department...

Comment

I think UND should consider the flickertail's little cousin as their mascot...can I get a "Let's Go Thirteen-Striped Ground Squirrels!"

BitsTD: The flicker (not flickertail) is a bird. The yellow-shafted flicker is quite common in these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            I think UND should consider the flickertail's little cousin as their mascot...can I get a "Let's Go Thirteen-Striped Ground Squirrels!"

BitsTD: The flicker (not flickertail) is a bird. The yellow-shafted flicker is quite common in these parts.

Flickers actually goes right along with Snotrockets!
                            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                              Flickers actually goes right along with Snotrockets!

Nice catch!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X