Pics: New Gopher Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics: New Gopher Stadium

Over on Bisonville, mhd73 posted the following link to GopherHole.com...lots of pictures of the new Gopher Stadium under construction. The Jackrabbits will be there next year. LINK.

Re: Pics: New Gopher Stadium

I think that stadium looks like it's going to be real nice. I am interested in seeing how it turns out as well. I think USD will go there in 2010 so that might be a trip worth making.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Is that official (USD playing at MN in 2010)?

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        I think that stadium looks like it's going to be real nice. I am interested in seeing how it turns out as well. I think USD will go there in 2010 so that might be a trip worth making.
        And SDSU will play them in 2009, the first year the Gophers are in the new stadium. I see a trend appearing...

1. SDSU goes D-I
        USD follows suit 5 years later.

2. SDSU helps create the Great West Football conference
        USD joins the Great West 5 years later

3. SDSU schedules a guarantee game with Minnesota in 2009
        USD supposedly schedules a guarantee game with Minnesota in 2010.

USD is a follower...enough said!

Comment

Will that be on a field trip after they play a road game at a lower level institution in Minnesota?

Just kidding, didn't know Udot had a guarantee game in 2010. I will be there to see the Jackrabbits next year for sure. The Gophers have turned things around, great win over Illinois yesterday.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I thought perhaps Coyote Fan had some breaking news on scheduling U of MN. No response, however, to my question about whether he had something official about USD playing at Minnesota in 2010.

I went to the official Minnesota Ahtletics website and here's the 2010 schedule according to that site...note there are two open dates, Sep 4 and Sept 25 but there's no indication USD is on the schedule. To me, scheduling USD seems unlikely as long as it's still in early transition but, we'll see. Again, Coyote Fan, do you have any official information?

Sat, Sep 04 TBA
            Sat, Sep 11 UNLV at Las Vegas, Nev.
            Sat, Sep 18 Washington State TCF Bank Stadium
            Sat, Sep 25 TBA
            Sat, Oct 02 Northwestern TCF Bank Stadium
            Sat, Oct 09 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis.
            Sat, Oct 16 Purdue at West Lafayette, Ind.
            Sat, Oct 23 Penn State TCF Bank Stadium
            Sat, Oct 30 Ohio State TCF Bank Stadium
            Sat, Nov 06 Michigan State at East Lansing, Mich.
            Sat, Nov 13 Illinois at Champaign, Ill.
            Sat, Nov 27 Iowa TCF Bank Stadium

The Minnesota website also has the 2011 and 2012 schedules which are fairly complete but each has open dates...I did not see USD listed in any of the schedules. For a link, go here.

Comment

Thanks for the photo link, JackJD.

I've been able to see the progress, although only once every six-months, on our hockey trips to the U of M. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful stadium and I can't till we play there! I know a few Gopher fans here in SF that have the date marked on their calendar, too.
              "You trusted us"

Comment

Looks like the Vikings will deservedly have the inferior staduim in the T.C. metro area.

Comment

A source "in the know" told me a while back that while Joel Maturi liked scheduling the regional "cupcakes" - the likes of NDSU and SDSU - Coach Brewster is not in favor of that and would prefer to start scheduling some better DI non-conference competition. As you can see in 2010 Washington State is on the schedule, not sure if that's pre-Brewster scheduled or not. Air Force, Cal, Colorado...all appearing on the schedule in upcoming years. Definate change from Northern Illinios, Florida Atlantic, Montana State and SDSU.

So, where I'm going with this is I'd be SHOCKED if USD showed up on the Gopher's schedule anytime soon. Or ever for that matter.

Stadium does look nice from the photos. Can't wait to see a game there.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

As far as I know there is nothing official with the Minnesota game but apparently Meierkort talked about it at a gathering. That is all I know so it's second hand info for me.

SDSU also copied NDSU in playing Minnesota. Whenever Minnesota's first game was as a program every team after that team copied Minnesota's first opponent.

USD might be playing two FBS games in 2010 one against Central Florida. Nothing official yet on either game from what I know.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                      A source "in the know" told me a while back that while Joel Maturi liked scheduling the regional "cupcakes" - the likes of NDSU and SDSU - Coach Brewster is not in favor of that and would prefer to start scheduling some better DI non-conference competition. As you can see in 2010 Washington State is on the schedule, not sure if that's pre-Brewster scheduled or not. Air Force, Cal, Colorado...all appearing on the schedule in upcoming years. Definate change from Northern Illinios, Florida Atlantic, Montana State and SDSU.

So, where I'm going with this is I'd be SHOCKED if USD showed up on the Gopher's schedule anytime soon. Or ever for that matter.

Stadium does look nice from the photos. Can't wait to see a game there.
                      Was the source Sid or Ruesse?
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Was the source Sid or Ruesse?
                        Neither.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

My guess is that the first game of the 2010 season will be on the road, because that is the weekend of the State Fair. The problem with having a home game that weekend is that the State Fair uses the universities parking lots for the Park-and-Ride, and it would create a major mess if a game were held there when the State Fair was going on.

I do think that FCS teams will remain on Minnesota's schedule, just maybe not every year. With the 12-game season, playing FCS schools is a reality. Minnesota does have a reputation for playing weak non-conference schedules, and with adding games against BCS opponents each year for the forseeable future, this should be pretty much addressed.

Comment

As far as I know there is nothing official with the Minnesota game but apparently Meierkort talked about it at a gathering. That is all I know so it's second hand info for me.

SDSU also copied NDSU in playing Minnesota. Whenever Minnesota's first game was as a program every team after that team copied Minnesota's first opponent.

USD might be playing two FBS games in 2010 one against Central Florida. Nothing official yet on either game from what I know.
                            So all you have is second-hand information?? Until it's on paper and in contract I won't believe it. Well I can tell you for sure that the Jacks are playing Minnesota, Nebraska and Illinois in the near future

Comment

Working...
                            X