Indiana Basketball in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Basketball in trouble

I haven't closely followed the NCAA investigation of Kelvin Sampson and Indiana's men's basketball program. A story on ESPN's website yesterday indicates the Hoosier basketball program is really in the dumpster. Note this from the story:

...None of Sampson's assistants were retained after the season and all but two players from last season's roster have either graduated, transferred, been kicked off the team or left early for the NBA....

Only two returning players, a new coaching staff and a black cloud hanging over the program with sanctions yet to be announced. Not a good time to be a Hoosier!

Here's a link to the ESPN story: link

Re: Indiana Basketball in trouble

I was at Oklahoma when Sampson was there (he lived two blocks from me as a matter of fact). I was shocked when Indiana hired him. During his entire tenure at OU, one player graduated. One. And his roster was loaded with players from basketball academies that aren't real academic institutions. Sorry, but "God's Academy" is not an academic institution. It and dozens of other "schools" like it are basketball academies that specialize in giving pretend grades to struggling students so they can play college basketball.

So when Indiana hired him, even after revelations that he had cheated at Oklahoma (not a revelation to anybody on that campus) was a shock to me. Say what you will about Bob Knight, but his players performed well on the court AND graduated.

Now IU has one returning scholarship player. It's going to be a long time before the Hoosiers build themselves back into a basketball program to be proud of. And it was all because the IU AD (who has also resigned) chose win at all costs over character and doing it right. What a pathetic situation.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
    X