St Cloud Times Writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Cloud Times Writer

Dumb article from a Saint Cloud writer that is a little frustrated over losing the NCC. Just for entertainment and a reminder why the move to division 1 was long overdue.

http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll...109140039/1002

found this over on siouxsports.com

Re: St Cloud Times Writer

Is North Dakota State — which won five Division II national football titles between 1983 and 1990 — ever going to play in a meaningful Division I game? Is it ever going to be in a major conference, or contend for a national title? Highly improbable.

Perhaps the stupidest statement I've ever read in a newspaper. Did this columnist do any research? I can't believe the Bisonville folks haven't ripped this guy apart.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Well that sounded like sour grapes. I really never thought St. Cloud and Mankato were rivals anyway. They make it sound like we will never have rivalries again. I think by moving up, we will gain a rivalry with UNI (especially if we win this weekend). Our football crowds are much larger now that we are D-1, than they could have been if we stayed in the NCC.

I guess I don't really understand their logic. I guess they are just upset because they can't draw any fans to NSCI games.

Go State!!!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

We don't have rivalries? NDSU for the Dakota Marker. Two close games with Western that looks to be the makings of a good rivalry. Plus didn't we beat Western in the Summit Volleyball finals last year? Volleyball does need to play out to see how that works out this year in conference play though. And we'll see about UNI.

Comment

Let's see, who would I rather want to see on the football schedule over the course of a season.

Northern Iowa, Youngstown State, McNeese State, Cal Poly, Iowa State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Illinois State...

or

St. Cloud State, Minnesota State, Winona State, Nebraska Omaha...

No offense to the NCC, it was a great D2 conference and treated us very, very well. But as an SDSU alumn, I wouldn't have near the interest in SDSU athletics that I do today if we were still playing in the NCC instead of the MVFC/Summit.

Comment

Wow, just read the article and it looks to me that the writer didn't do any research at all. Just a bunch of sour grapes IMO.

Comment

If I had to sit through another boring slog through the D2 football hell against St. Cloud State and its utterly uninspiring football team, I'd shoot myself in the head.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Oh ... my ...

I don't know if I should LMAO, because that's some of the most ridiculous drivel I've read in a long time ... or cry because that's five-minutes of my life I'll never get back ...
                "You trusted us"

Comment

I've read it again. I think it was meant to be humorous/sarcastic.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I think the writer is just flat-out ill-informed. St. Cloud and Minnesota State could have, and probably should have, gone D-I, too. It's too late now. They'll just have to long for the old days.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Actually the Bison have ripped him good. But he also doesn't ignore the Jacks in his article.

Comment

Looks like Matt Z. is joining in on the "awe" of this column. 2nd Paragraph.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Go Jacks!!
                        Last edited by propar80; 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM. Reason: Wrong Linky!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          I think the writer is just flat-out ill-informed. St. Cloud and Minnesota State could have, and probably should have, gone D-I, too. It's too late now. They'll just have to long for the old days.
                          I dont have any inside information, but what I do recall is about 1995 or maybe earlier, SCSU, MSU-Mankato and UNO decided to bite into the hockey apple. They looked at UND and thought that was the way to go, but after building facilities and funding all their hockey scholarships, they have hockey programs that are probably breaking even at best.

Hockey has not been the big money makers to finance other sports such football and the rest. I think all three of these schools were so shakey from a budget standpoint when NDSU and SDSU made the move, they had no other options than to select status quo D2. I hoping some one will come here and set me straight. The author of the column does not mention the part that hockey played in choicing to stay D2. I honestly think the hockey schools thought the NCC would last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                            Looks like Matt Z. is joining in on the "awe" of this column. 2nd Paragraph.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1583630

Go Jacks!!
                            What the heck are you talking about? All I see is an article about the golf team.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                              What the heck are you talking about? All I see is an article about the golf team.
                              Here is the correct link

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Comment

Working...
                              X