Re: South Dakota vs. Southeastern Louisiana

USD lost 30-31 nice showing
    MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
    http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
    http://gojacks.com

Comment

This was one of the D-I games I thought USD had a chance to win this year.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
        This was one of the D-I games I thought USD had a chance to win this year.
        With the other being SUU?

Comment

and UND
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Read today's Argus, USD Coach Hobson says they dont have the depth for FCS. At least one person in Verminland is honest.

Comment

Honestly, neither did SDSU and in fact at that stage we had fewer scholarships than USD.

Comment

I wouldn't be hanging my head if I were a Udot fan. They have been hung in there in both of these games and had a great shot to win the last one. They will have more depth soon. They definitely have the tools to be a competative FCS program. (It pains me to say that but its a fact)
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Read today's Argus, USD Coach Hobson says they dont have the depth for FCS. At least one person in Verminland is honest.
                  I do agree that depth is going to be an issue for awhile. With the newly added scholarships and not being developed scholarships that only makes sense. USD did control alot of the 4th quarter so I don't really know if it was a big factor at the end as much as it seemed to be in the 3rd quarter which hurt.

It does string a bit that USD keeps getting bitten more mentally than anything. Mistakes in crucial situations are holding the Yotes back right now more than the actual talent on the field. That is nothing new from where USD was in D2 though. I am not as concerned with the win loss record just for the record as much as I am concerned that USD just needs to start to win their close games. I'll take some misfortune now for a little better results in the future.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I think USD has the talent at the skill positions to compete in the FCS now. I hate that term, but not sure what else to call it. The biggest challenge in the transition is the depth and the mental fortitude that you can compete and figure out a way to get the win when it's tight at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                      Mistakes in crucial situations are holding the Yotes back right now more than the actual talent on the field. That is nothing new from where USD was in D2 though. I am not as concerned with the win loss record just for the record as much as I am concerned that USD just needs to start to win their close games. I'll take some misfortune now for a little better results in the future.
                      This has been my opinion as well. The few times I have listend to their games the yotes seem to shoot themselves in the foot over and over again. Whether via penalties, turnovers or special teams mistakes. The last couple of years at the DII level, although good, could have been better. Udot has stunk it up on the road and they aren't playing anyone at home so they better get better at the traveling thing.

BTW, I received this invite via e-mail today if anyone is interested:

Coyote Athletics

and

The University of

South Dakota Foundation

Invite you to join in some tailgate fun!

September 20, 2008

Noon until kickoff

Food and drinks at the Coyote Landing

(North end inside the DakotaDome)

2pm game

Coyotes vs. Culver-Stockton

For football tickets call the ticket office at 605-677-5959

RSVP to usdfound@usdfoundation.org (for the tailgate party
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        This has been my opinion as well. The few times I have listend to their games the yotes seem to shoot themselves in the foot over and over again. Whether via penalties, turnovers or special teams mistakes. The last couple of years at the DII level, although good, could have been better. Udot has stunk it up on the road and they aren't playing anyone at home so they better get better at the traveling thing.

Coyote Athletics

and

The University of

South Dakota Foundation

September 20, 2008

Noon until kickoff

2pm game

Doc,
                        You need to adjust your spam settings.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                          I do agree that depth is going to be an issue for awhile. With the newly added scholarships and not being developed scholarships that only makes sense. USD did control alot of the 4th quarter so I don't really know if it was a big factor at the end as much as it seemed to be in the 3rd quarter which hurt.

It does string a bit that USD keeps getting bitten more mentally than anything. Mistakes in crucial situations are holding the Yotes back right now more than the actual talent on the field. That is nothing new from where USD was in D2 though. I am not as concerned with the win loss record just for the record as much as I am concerned that USD just needs to start to win their close games. I'll take some misfortune now for a little better results in the future.
                          The only problem is last year Yote fans were making all kinds of noise about how their team would fare in the FCS and boasting that the upper DII schools were better than over half of the FCS schools. Along those lines, USD fans were claiming they would fare well in the FCS based on their recent success in DII. I'm not trying to start smack with pointing that out. Just showing that maybe the SDSU fans had some reason to question those boasts from USD. FCS is a much faster game. The depth of talent is much better. There is a distinct difference in the overall talent of each level. USD fans are likely beginning to realize that. SDSU had a rude awakening in just our first game...and that wasn't even against a full-fledged FCS team.

An area of concern for USD has to be in recruiting. In the last 10 years at the DII level, SDSU historically out-recruited USD for area players. Course SDSU was getting out-recruited by UND and NDSU, but that's another issue. When SDSU went FCS, USD saw a spike in recruiting. That is due to alot of influences - better coach at USD, less fighting over the same players with NDSU & SDSU, a string of success at the DII level, etc.

Now USD is back fighting NDSU, SDSU and UND for recruits. NDSU is coming off a year where they were ranked number 1 in the country for most of the season while beating 2 FBS teams along the way. SDSU is coming off of 2 seasons where they were ranked in the top 25, are constantly setting new attendance records at Coughlin, won their first conf title in decades, and beat NDSU last year to spoil their perfect season. Even a staunch USD supporter has to admit SDSU football is enjoying the most momentum this program has ever seen. Add to that the beginning of this season and the inclusion into the MVFC and USD is going to be hard pressed to win many recruiting battles. That is not pro-SDSU retoric, just a basic fact.

The fact of the matter is that USD has to be successful right now because of how well NDSU and SDSU transitioned. USD is in the undesireable position of a lose/lose situation. If they do reasonably well in the transition (let's say they mirror SDSU's success each step of the way) it's not that big of a deal because SDSU and NDSU already did it - it's expected of them. If they fall on their face and go the UNC route, everyone will be bemoaning the fact that they felt they had to follow the D1 route instead of stay and build on being the DII power they had become. It's worse than the prospects of SDSU at the time because there was no bench mark already set. If we fell on our faces (like in B-ball) it would have been a bunch of "that's what you get for thinking you're too good for DII".

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

Coyote Athletics

and

The University of

South Dakota Foundation

September 20, 2008

Noon until kickoff

2pm game

That reminds me, I received an invitation, and I think every educator in the state did as well, to attend the football game for free with our families. Thanks for the offer USD, but I'll pass.
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                              I think USD has the talent at the skill positions to compete in the FCS now. I hate that term, but not sure what else to call it. The biggest challenge in the transition is the depth and the mental fortitude that you can compete and figure out a way to get the win when it's tight at the end.
                              Oh my gosh I completely agree with 100% of what a SDSU fan said on this board. I guess all things have to come to an end at some point.
                              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                              X