Political Correctness in Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Correctness in Sports

Okay, I'm sitting here waiting for the State- Youngstown game to strart and I'm watching Richmond play at Virginia. The announcers start to talk about the students sitting on the hill at the stadium protesting the new "No Sign" policy at the Uof Virginia. They show the people sitting on the hill holding up blank pieces of paper. Seems the liberal, politically correct administrators at the U of V have decided that the students signs project a "negative image and message". Therefor they must be banned. Holy S**t. Where does it end.

Re: Political Correctness in Sports

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
    Okay, I'm sitting here waiting for the State- Youngstown game to strart and I'm watching Richmond play at Virginia. The announcers start to talk about the students sitting on the hill at the stadium protesting the new "No Sign" policy at the Uof Virginia. They show the people sitting on the hill holding up blank pieces of paper. Seems the liberal, politically correct administrators at the U of V have decided that the students signs project a "negative image and message". Therefor they must be banned. Holy S**t. Where does it end.
    It doesn't end. It just goes on. Unless, somewhere, people stand up and stop it.

Remember, you must offend NO ONE. And if that offends you, you require reeducation. And if THAT offends you . . .

On the other hand, it would benefit civil discourse generally if people (again, speaking generally) rediscovered even a modest level of restraint and decorum in dealing with people they disagree with.

(I suspect I'm edging close to the slippery slope of political talk vs. sports-smack type talk, so I'd better quit here.)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Having worked at a few other universities, I can tell you there's nothing unusual about banning signs at games. Iowa? No signs. Purdue? No signs. Might be a Big Ten rule, in fact.

Please save the shots at "liberals" for a political discussion board. There are people of all political persuasions here. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but there's no need to disparage people who don't happen to see the world in the same way you do.

I'll save my discussion of intended and unintended meanings and the reality of identity for the classroom.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Having worked at a few other universities, I can tell you there's nothing unusual about banning signs at games. Iowa? No signs. Purdue? No signs. Might be a Big Ten rule, in fact.

Please save the shots at "liberals" for a political discussion board. There are people of all political persuasions here. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but there's no need to disparage people who don't happen to see the world in the same way you do.

I'll save my discussion of intended and unintended meanings and the reality of identity for the classroom.
        As you can see, I'm basically a knee-jerk libertarian . . . but after the knee finishes jerking I start thinking about things . . .

Seems to me that universities have every right to protect their image by trying to control the environment for their sporting events . . .

Just because you bought a ticket to an event doesn't mean you have the right to use that event to dissemenate your own particular message . . . be it sports or, (redacted - - please, please let the election season be over soon!)
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm arguing with myself. (No you're not! Yes you are! Shut up! No, you shut up!)

But appropos of this, I suppose, I see that the U. of Delaware has just been prevented from sending a student to psychological testing for what he said . . . part of the U.S. District Court's summary judgment (via CoyoteBlog and the FIRE web site):

The court also noted that speech is constitutionally protected when it does not cause a substantial disruption on campus—even if an individual student feels so upset by the speech that she feels threatened by it, and even if university administrators strongly dislike what is being said. That is, the complaining student's reaction, together with the administrative trouble involved in dealing with the situation, was not enough to show a substantial disruption requiring punishment for Murakowski's protected speech.
          I'll go away now and drink something soothing . . . herbal tea perhaps . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Sports are meant to be fun. Yes ban signs that are offensive but let people have fun. Here at hockey games there are longtime boosters that blow horns during the game and it offends certain people. Signs, cowbells, horns, even scores are part of the game. Let people enjoy themselves. Because where will it stop if the IKNOWWHATSBESTFORYOU"s keep getting their way.

Comment

Why liberal? Could just have as easily been done by a money hungry conservative that didn't give a crap about the fans or students having fun, but only say a chance at lower liability issues and a chance to save some bucks. Or maybe a rightwing conservative that saw this as a security issue. I an not a liberal by any means, but assuming a ban on signs had a political ideological basis seems to be qiute a stretch. I will now go read the other replies and apologize if I have continued points/arguments that have already been made.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                Why liberal? Could just have as easily been done by a money hungry conservative that didn't give a crap about the fans or students having fun, but only say a chance at lower liability issues and a chance to save some bucks. Or maybe a rightwing conservative that saw this as a security issue. I an not a liberal by any means, but assuming a ban on signs had a political ideological basis seems to be qiute a stretch. I will now go read the other replies and apologize if I have continued points/arguments that have already been made.
                I suspect it's really more of an issue of "a few people abused their rights in the past, and so the rights of everybody get limited" kind of thing.

Jacks are doing well against Youngstown State early . . . Go Rabbits!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

No offense. But it seems like its liberals and extreme right wing that want to take our rights away. I'm libertarain when it comes to my rights. Laws are laws but when they go to far then they are wrong. Sports is supposed to be fun and take our thoughts off of the problems surrounding us for the time the game is on. What fun is it politely applauding when one team scores and then the other scores. Oh wait, the Jacks are crushing the Pens. Give them the ball until they catch up. Is that what it's coming too? Hope not. Let's keep it fun for everyone.

Comment

No offense. But it seems like its liberals and extreme right wing that want to take our rights away. I'm libertarain when it comes to my rights. Laws are laws but when they go to far then they are wrong. Sports is supposed to be fun and take our thoughts off of the problems surrounding us for the time the game is on. What fun is it politely applauding when one team scores and then the other scores. Oh wait, the Jacks are crushing the Pens. Give them the ball until they catch up. Is that what it's coming too? Hope not. Let's keep it fun for everyone.
                    Offense taken. Can we stop the political talk. I'll list example after example of conservative action doing exactly what you're writing about SturgisJeff but what good will that do on the SDSUFans Message board?

I'm really pumped by this football team and the big win tonight. We pounded on a good football team and for this guy sitting in the stands: it felt real good!

Oh, .... and, ... no offense (I guess by writing "no offense", it patches everything). Seriously: no offense intended (and, it's pretty hard to offend me).

Comment

Sorry to all offended parties didn't mean to, poor choice of certain words. I used the wrong words, that causing the point I was trying to make be missed. I was trying to say that the fun is being taken out of sports by decisions to ban signs, cowbells, thunder sticks etc. It just happened to State with the commissioners office banning the cowbells and I see it's not being taken very well. I didn't mean for this to be a discussion about politics.
                      Thread Closed.
                      Last edited by SturgisJeff; 09-07-2008, 09:38 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Dude I don't think this is a liberal or conservative view..... I know in my high school we had to really tighten down with stuff at basketball games not because it offended people or it made the school look bad but more because of the insurance policy and old important people complaining because they couldn't see. I personally think that signs are cool as long as they are somewhat professional.

In social problems we discussed what makes a social problem and it is either a lot of people with one problem, or one important person with a problem. If one important, donor or highly respected alum has a problem with it, it would make sense to make a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          Offense taken. Can we stop the political talk. I'll list example after example of conservative action doing exactly what you're writing about SturgisJeff but what good will that do on the SDSUFans Message board?

I'm really pumped by this football team and the big win tonight. We pounded on a good football team and for this guy sitting in the stands: it felt real good!

Oh, .... and, ... no offense (I guess by writing "no offense", it patches everything). Seriously: no offense intended (and, it's pretty hard to offend me).

I had a motion hearing in front of a judge recently when opposing counsel disagreed with the judge's reasoning on a certain legal issue. In making her argument, she said, "no offense, your honor..." Judge stopped her and said "You shouldn't start off your argument with 'no offense' counselor, because it just says to the judge, 'Judge, you don't know what you're talking about'". I don't mean to get in the middle of the argument and I'll keep my political beliefs to myself, but saying "no offense" only highlights the fact you're about to offend someone.

As for the sign issue, the ban was put in place because a student brought a sign to the Virginia-Duke game last year that said "fired Groh" in reference to the Virginia football coach. It all snowballed from there.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

(I plead guilty to thread drift.)

MilwaukeeJackAlum's story about the Judge reminded me of a criminal (defense) case I was working on years ago with a green prosecutor on the other side. As trial approached, the prosecutor contacted me and wanted to meet to discuss a possible resolution. He started his comments with "I'm gonna be honest with you..." to which I held up my hand (to silence him) and said "What have you been doing so far? Should I disregard everything you've told me up to this point?"

Statements like "Let me be honest;" "I'm going to be frank with you" and "No offense, but..." are usually harmless speech habits for many people but sometimes they lead to funny situations like the one MilwaukeeJackAlum wrote about.

Comment

Thanks esquires, I think what you said is very helpful. Being direct has always been a problem with me and without a doubt I have used these cruch phrases several times.

Comment

Working...
                              X