USD article in 8/20 Argus Leader v2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD article in 8/20 Argus Leader v2.0

Superbunny put this same link in Smack . . . and it may generate a lot of fun smack, but I think it may belong here too in order to generate some good and valid discussion:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/sports

"Coyotes shuffle football staff for 2008
    Entering new era, Meierkort's assistants blend D-I experience, USD ties

VERMILLION - The University of South Dakota football team moves into an unusual season with its exterior largely intact.

Behind the scenes, however, a lot of new people will be telling players what to do.

The Coyotes enter their first season as a Great West member and Football Championship Subdivision transitional program with new (or at least different) faces at offensive and defensive coordinator, quarterback coach, linebacker/special teams coach, defensive line coach and strength coach.
    At Tuesday's media day, head coach Ed Meierkort answered questions about the upcoming season that he's never had to answer before - mainly concerning a dramatically different schedule and a different future."

Click on the above link for the full article.

I think that it will be interesting to watch USD's overall philosophy in the move to Division I. I am very proud of South Dakota State for placing its priority on the overall athletic program. The evidence of this can be found in our success in all sports on the women's side in the Summit League last year. In fact, the men did pretty well too. USD has fewer sports but it will be interesting to see if they are in a mode to make them all do well or if there will be priorities and those who get little support.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Re: USD article in 8/20 Argus Leader v2.0

I posted this after Superbunny's post in the smack section. I really didn't feel it was smack but for information and comparison sake.

There are only 2 coaches left on the football team from the last year of D-II - Luke Meadows and Stig.

In the first year of transition SDSU lost Eric Eidsness and Tim Steinbach. They were replaced by Daren Wilkinson and Chris Roberts who left the next year and was replaced by Rob Sarvis. Kris Garry, Josh Conklin, Doug McFadden and most recently Daren Wilkinson are also coaches who have left the football team. Add to that Strength coach Lee Munger left after the first D-I transition year and was replaced by Nate Moe. There has been fairly significant turnover in the football staff if you sit down and think about it.

My main point of disagreement with Meierkort would be that I don't think its necessarily an advantage to have someone on your staff that knows the history of the school. Sometimes that can lead to people settling for what has always been.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Re: USD article in 8/20 Argus Leader v2.0

Unless its a proven program like UNL, assistant coaches are not paid very much. Another factor that weighs in is that many of these young coaches are looking for a better job, and I really dont blame any one for moving on.

I dont see the revolving door of assistant coaches at USD or SDSU has a problem. It happens, and its what the head coach can do in terms of hiring replacement that matters.
      Coach Ballard was one that I wish that we could have retained,but that was not meant to be.

I dont think that we should not try to improve salaries nor should we not discourage people who choose to stay.

Comment

Working...
      X