No announcement yet.

New Mex State U forced from FBS to FCS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mex State U forced from FBS to FCS?

While cruising around on some other boards, I saw reference to New Mexico State's plight and the threat the NCAA will enforce its football attendance policy and force NMSU from FBS to FCS.

LAS CRUCES — Western Athletic Conference Commissioner Karl Benson said that if New Mexico State University fails to live up to the football attendance standards set by the NCAA, they will be dropped from Division 1A competition and possibly the WAC.
    If things get to that point, Benson said that NMSU would be re-instituted back into 1A play when the school proved it could live up to NCAA standards and maintain its attendance average above 15,000 per season.
    "They would be out of 1A, that is correct," Benson said. "It would not affect any of the other sports at New Mexico State. They would remain at the 1A level." The program's status in WAC would be up in the air.

The above was taken from the Las Cruces Sun News report this evening. Go here.

Re: New Mex State U forced from FBS to FCS?

There are several schools in much worse shape on attendance than New Mexico State including Kent State and Eastern Michigan from the MAC and Florida International from the Sunbelt who all averaged less than 10,000 last year. New Mexico State should be able to get from 14,400 to 15,000 but to get from less than 10,000 to 15,000 would be a real challenge.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Inte...ATTENDANCE.pdf

Comment

Makes you wonder if this won't pave the way for NDSU to make the jump to FBS... if there's going to be a conference opening, I mean.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        Makes you wonder if this won't pave the way for NDSU to make the jump to FBS... if there's going to be a conference opening, I mean.
        One thing that might slow down NDSU ambitions is the failure of a 1/2 cent sales tax measure at the polls last Tuesday that would have upgraded the Fargo Dome mostly for a basketball facility. I don't think the measure had any thing to do with football seating. No doubt the Bison have a great program, but maybe they want to stay put for awhile. Who knows. Its certainly is a possibilty though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          One thing that might slow down NDSU ambitions is the failure of a 1/2 cent sales tax measure at the polls last Tuesday that would have upgraded the Fargo Dome mostly for a basketball facility. I don't think the measure had any thing to do with football seating. No doubt the Bison have a great program, but maybe they want to stay put for awhile. Who knows. Its certainly is a possibilty though.
          Sorry, you're a bit confused.

The 1/2 cent sales tax that was defeated was for economic development* and had nothing to do with the Fargodome addition. The FD addition is still in the works and we're now waiting to see if NDSU can find a major buyer for the naming rights($10M-$12M).

There was one small element of the election that had an impact on the addition, and that was the city commission race. Fargo has 5 commissioners. One is the mayor, and the other four are voted on by the entire city; two commissioners every other year. Going into Tuesday's election, two of the commissioners were strongly in favor of the addition, two were mildly in favor, and one was strongly opposed. The opposed and one of the milds were running for reelection against each other and one strong challenger who was strongly in favor of the addition(he served on the Fargodome Authority board for several years). The challenger won a seat by a large margin. The other seat was won by the incumbant who opposes the addition; he edged out the other incumbant by a small margin. Now, the commission is made up of three members who strongly approve of the addition, one who mildly approves of it, and one who strongly opposes it. The vote still stands at 4-1, but the weight behind the 4 is a little stronger now.

More than you needed or wanted to know.

*The tax was to be used for a new tech park, improvements to the airport to bring in more flights and carriers, money to local school districts/colleges for science and tech classes, a entrepreneurship program to help tech startups, etc.

Comment

NDSU isn't going anywhere for a long time. There are some posters on Bisonville who think they have already outgrown FCS which made last falls win in Brookings even more satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
              Sorry, you're a bit confused.

The 1/2 cent sales tax that was defeated was for economic development* and had nothing to do with the Fargodome addition. The FD addition is still in the works and we're now waiting to see if NDSU can find a major buyer for the naming rights($10M-$12M).

There was one small element of the election that had an impact on the addition, and that was the city commission race. Fargo has 5 commissioners. One is the mayor, and the other four are voted on by the entire city; two commissioners every other year. Going into Tuesday's election, two of the commissioners were strongly in favor of the addition, two were mildly in favor, and one was strongly opposed. The opposed and one of the milds were running for reelection against each other and one strong challenger who was strongly in favor of the addition(he served on the Fargodome Authority board for several years). The challenger won a seat by a large margin. The other seat was won by the incumbant who opposes the addition; he edged out the other incumbant by a small margin. Now, the commission is made up of three members who strongly approve of the addition, one who mildly approves of it, and one who strongly opposes it. The vote still stands at 4-1, but the weight behind the 4 is a little stronger now.

More than you needed or wanted to know.

*The tax was to be used for a new tech park, improvements to the airport to bring in more flights and carriers, money to local school districts/colleges for science and tech classes, a entrepreneurship program to help tech startups, etc.
              Thanks Hammersmith. I was confused and when I am in the Fargo area, I tend to tune out the local Fargo politics and the issues such as the recent vote. I guess I better not do that anymore. I had caught the part about NDSU Campus, near the FargoDome and then later heard talk show about upgrades to the FargoDome. I had assumed that one was on the ballot and I caught the vote results, but I dont recall hearing any talk on the shows about it. The smoking ban in the bars seems to have everyone flapping their gums.

I believe one of the new commissioners and I can not imagine he would be apposed to FargoDome improvements is a former Bison Football player. Dave Piepercorn? Not sure of the spelling or pronouncation. I believe Dave played with Chad Stark as Chad submitted a letter of endorsement to the Fargo Forum.

No one can deny the penny tax has worked wonders in Fargo, but this setback should have the local political scientists scratching their heads and perhaps it included too many purposes.

Comment

The NCAA is a paper tiger when it comes to enforcing the attendance requirements. They may bluster, but I doubt very much that they will do anything.

Comment

No doubt, NDSU would make a huge splash in the WAC. I have no doubt in my mind that they can beat Boise State right now, and convincingly at that. That would shut up their incredibly arrogant and annoying fan-base in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by fezzador View Post
                    No doubt, NDSU would make a huge splash in the WAC. I have no doubt in my mind that they can beat Boise State right now, and convincingly at that. That would shut up their incredibly arrogant and annoying fan-base in a hurry.
                    how in the hell do you come up with a thought like that. just because they can beat the goofers and like fbs team, doesn't mean $hit against top half fbs teams. the bison may be good but they are that good.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                      how in the hell do you come up with a thought like that. just because they can beat the goofers and like fbs team, doesn't mean $hit against top half fbs teams. the bison may be good but they are that good.
                      Geez, BHM lighten up. Assume you didn't realize that was a piece of sarcasm, and fairly well done at that. Or wasn't it Fezzador?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        Geez, BHM lighten up. Assume you didn't realize that was a piece of sarcasm, and fairly well done at that. Or wasn't it Fezzador?
                        Sarcasm isn't always the easiest to pick up on message boards, I suggest the rolling eyes smiley or the tongue sticking out smiley at the end just to make sure things aren't taken seriously.

I didn't catch it before, but kudos on the Bison sarcasm fezzador!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          Sarcasm isn't always the easiest to pick up on message boards, I suggest the rolling eyes smiley or the tongue sticking out smiley at the end just to make sure things aren't taken seriously.

I didn't catch it before, but kudos on the Bison sarcasm fezzador!
                          Sarcasm? I don't get it.

What was so eyerolling about that post???

That was so full of wonderful insight into the future, it deserves a repost...

Comment

Working...
                          X