Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Gilbert leaving K-State

Kansas City Star:
    Gilbert averaged 3.9 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 17.7 minutes per game last season. Gilbert struggled after he returned from a five-game suspension in mid-February.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Andre Gilbert leaving K-State

Wow. I think Andre leaving SDSU may have been a blessing in disguise. I know he left under tough circumstances, but let's be serious......leaving another school. I think this is exactly the player we DON'T want at SDSU. I would take a Michael Loney way before someone with the character of Andre.

Anyone agree or am I off base here?

Comment

I don't know Andre, so I won't comment on his character.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Wow. I think Andre leaving SDSU may have been a blessing in disguise. I know he left under tough circumstances, but let's be serious......leaving another school. I think this is exactly the player we DON'T want at SDSU. I would take a Michael Loney way before someone with the character of Andre.

Anyone agree or am I off base here?
        Loney has indeed been a model of a student athlete and appears to be very goal oriented and will have a bright future somewhere. As for Mr. Gilbert, the old Will Rogers coment, "All I know is what I read in the newpapers". applies. More often than not, the reading has not been good.

I also feel that we fans sometimes make our student athletes into celeberities and bigger than the ordinary run of the mill student. When they make a bad choice, they generate discussion that would not occur with a bad choice by one of the nearly twelve thousand students on campus. If I could have a dollar for each student who has been arrested and convicted of underage alcholol consumption in The Brookings Register since the age limit was changed from 19 to 21, I would have a nice healthy bank account.

As 1st Row indicated and I agree I don't Andre personally so perhaps no comment is the appropriate choice. You can only wish Andre the best where ever that takes him.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 05-29-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Wonder where he is going. He was a talented athlete coming out of high school. I remember Nagy calling him the most athletic guy on the Jackrabbit team.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Interesting. Wonder where he is going. He was a talented athlete coming out of high school. I remember Nagy calling him the most athletic guy on the Jackrabbit team.
            Not sure where Andre will end up. I was living in Rochester when he was a prospect along with Cadwell. The talk around the cities was that both were talented but not top tier for different reasons. Nobody questioned Andre's talent level, there were "other issues". I don't know any more than what we have seen transpire. Hopefully, things work out in a positive fashion for Andre's future.
            Last edited by jackmd; 06-02-2008, 08:40 PM.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I remember him as a guy who was supremely athletic, but wouldn't (couldn't?) play D and made terrible decisions with the ball. Worst of all, he often picked the absolute worst time to go 1 on 3 and turn the ball over. Doesn't speak to his character, just my memory of the handful of games I saw him play.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                I remember him as a guy who was supremely athletic, but wouldn't (couldn't?) play D and made terrible decisions with the ball. Worst of all, he often picked the absolute worst time to go 1 on 3 and turn the ball over. Doesn't speak to his character, just my memory of the handful of games I saw him play.
                This is what I recall as well. Not the best team player to ever hit the floor at SDSU. Possibly some of this changed at the Juco where he played and at Kansas State. What I have gathered from the K-State fan board, there was an incident off campus that involved assult, but no charges were filed and after the staff found out that Mr Gilbert might have been provoked, he was reinstated as player for the remainder of the season. Where he goes next, remains to be released to the public. I am sure we will hear someting.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  This is what I recall as well. Not the best team player to ever hit the floor at SDSU. Possibly some of this changed at the Juco where he played and at Kansas State. What I have gathered from the K-State fan board, there was an incident off campus that involved assult, but no charges were filed and after the staff found out that Mr Gilbert might have been provoked, he was reinstated as player for the remainder of the season. Where he goes next, remains to be released to the public. I am sure we will hear someting.
                  I agree with you Nidaros and MJA. Andre did have talent, but it was more street ball than team ball talent. Sitting in the crowd watching him knowing a turnover was probably coming was very hard. I do wish him luck for his senior year.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Andre just seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
                    At K-State there was an incident off campus. There were no charges filed. They kicked him off the team and later brought him back.
                    At SDSU he was found innocent.
                    He was kicked off the team at both University's. I think after the University gives up on him, he decides to move on.

Comment

I would think his only option would be a DII school. Maybe return home and join former teamate Cadwell at Concordia the home of Jackrabbits past!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I would think his only option would be a DII school. Maybe return home and join former teamate Cadwell at Concordia the home of Jackrabbits past!
                        Sorry to dredge up an old topic. But half of your prediction is correct.

http://www.msumavericks.com/news/201...618104723.aspx

Comment

Wow. What a long, strange basketball and educational path he's taken.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Good luck to Andre at MSU-Mankato.

Comment

I'm guessing it's more on the basketball path with less emphasis on the latter.

How can he still have eligibility left??? If he hasn't played the last two years it would seem that is "clock" would have expired by now. I thought one only had 10 semesters once they first enrolled in a school regardless of if they took time off or not.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                              X