Time runs out-NCC Fargo Forum Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time runs out-NCC Fargo Forum Article

Jeff Kolpeck did a rather interesting article about the offical end of the NCC.

There are two things in the article that I found interesting.

1. Noel Olson NCC Commissioner from 1984-1997 was very much opposed to the D1 moves by NDSU, SDSU and Northern Colorado. Apparently Noel is still living in Sioux Falls and was around for advice for his successors including Roger Thomas.

2. USD libriary will be come the archives for all NCC records, minutes and what have you for future research. That is great to know if you are interested in doing a paper or book on the NCC.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

It’s last call in the North Central Conference. The league served its final championship trophies this weekend, and all that remain are memories.

The lights at the league office in the Ramkota Hotel on the north side of Sioux Falls will shut off for the final time on June 30. It will be renovated into a family suite

read more...

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/200888

Re: Time runs out-NCC Fargo Forum Article

I've never really understood why the NCC couldn't have stayed alive by raiding the better teams in the NSIC, rather than being absorbed by the NSIC. As it is, the new NSIC seems to have too many teams, and I wonder if that will be sustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX1 View Post
      I've never really understood why the NCC couldn't have stayed alive by raiding the better teams in the NSIC, rather than being absorbed by the NSIC. As it is, the new NSIC seems to have too many teams, and I wonder if that will be sustainable.
      That's a simple one, the NSIC has different requirements (i.e. scholarship levels) and those schools didn't want to give up what they had to join a very watered down and non-factor NCC. The NSIC had the power position and took full advantage of it.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX1 View Post
        If you were ever fortunate to sit down and discuss this matter one on one with Fred Oien or Gene Taylor, they would both tell you that these schools are way behind in their thinking when it comes to marketing fund raising and as Catchem mentioned scholarships that they would never make it at the D1 level.

MSU-Moorhead has been reported to have a difficult time funding 8 scholarships for football.
        Is it not surprising that they cancelled their 3 or 4 year contract with NDSU after being kicked in the arse to the tune of 81-0?

NCC would never survived with all ten members that once made up the NCC. Augie and Morningside would never made it and neither would Concordia-St Paul. Winona is just starting to smell the coffee so they have a long ways to go despite 2 D2 bb titles.

Comment

Working...
        X