USC's Mayo and the Money Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC's Mayo and the Money Trail

Storys are being told about USC Trojan basketball one-season wonder OJ Mayo getting a lot of money from a sports agency and its "runner", a fellow named Guillory. Guillory's been involved before with NCAA rules violations and this time it appears USC should get into some trouble...it's reported USC coaches had regular contact with Guillory. Guillory's actions may constitute a misdemeanor crime in California.

link

Re: USC's Mayo and the Money Trail

One of these days, the NCAA is going to really crack a big program to get maximum enforcement value...is it going to be USC? "New facts" have come to light and NCAA's Brand says they will investigate...

link

Comment

I'll wait until I see something happen. Bush got away with it so Mayo might too.
      I don't agree with Leinart only taking ballroom dancing and getting to play ball either.
      USC should be in the SEC. They would fit right in there.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        One of these days, the NCAA is going to really crack a big program to get maximum enforcement value...
        I'm not so sure that we will ever see a death penalty imposed again. SMU was hurt so bad that you can make a good argument that none of its programs will ever be at the level they once were. I do not think any school president wants to see that repeated. Short of that what can they do, take away scholarships, strip of them titles, etc. That has not been very effective as a deterrent in the past

Maybe they ought to start rewarding schools that do it right. Have the NCAA reimburse a school for the cost of a scholarship or two when the team leads the nation in GPA in their division, and give them two if they are the overall leader. Just a thought late at night.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The best path may be for USC to take action before the NCAA takes action...it's a little like a drunk arrested for DUI, voluntarily submitting to treatment before going to court for sentencing. Usually the court will be more lenient in such cases.

Watch for USC to can the men's basketball coach and voluntarily strip the program of a scholarship or two and then go, hat in hand, to the NCAA and say "Geez, guys, haven't we done enough?"

USC battles the image of being a rich-kid's school and a country club college. Those images run counter to building a reputation as a great school academically. Kicking an athletic team around may show they're serious about having an image as a serious institution of higher learning.

We'll see.

Comment

I thought I would add this to this thread even though it doesn't directly relate.

Miles Brand was on ESPN's Mike Trico Show yesterday and they were trying to get him to speak on the OJ Mayo case, but of course he couldn't.
            But he did mention this when the topic of paying of student athlete's came up..."6 schools in the nation in all divisions operated in the black last year."
            Black = Positive Cash Flow.
            I was very surprised and even though I have never been for the paying of college athlete's, if that number is true from Brand, the paying of athlete's would even create a larger gape between the have's and the have-nots.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
            X