12 embarrassing 2008 IA v. IAA matchups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 embarrassing 2008 IA v. IAA matchups

Interesting article on Rivals.com: http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=797234

"So, without further ado, here are the 12 most embarrassing games this season involving "Big Six" schools and I-AA programs:

12. Murray State at Indiana, Sept. 6: Indiana is coming off its first winning season since 1994, and playing the Racers is a good way to get a victory. Murray State used to be a solid I-AA program, but the Racers have won just 33 games this decade (4.5 victories per season) and only five in the past three seasons.

11. The Citadel at Florida, Nov. 22: The Citadel isn't horrible – the Bulldogs were 7-4 last season. But that was just its second winning season in the past 13. Plus, it's a horrible date to be playing a I-AA team. This will be Florida's final home game of the season. Playing a mediocre I-AA program – that's sure a nice way to send out the seniors.

10. Cal Poly at Wisconsin, Nov. 22: It's not that Cal Poly is bad; the Mustangs were 7-4 last season. It's just that as with the Florida-Citadel game, the timing of this one is weak: This will be the final game of the regular season for Wisconsin. Yeah, a I-AA game on the last big weekend of the season will fire up the fans. The fine establishments on State Street will be filled by the middle of the third quarter by fans who have left Camp-Randall Stadium.

9. Southeast Missouri at Missouri, Sept. 6: We'll give Missouri credit for one thing: If you're going to beat up on a bad I-AA team (SEMO was 3-8 last season), at least do it to a team from your state.

8./7. UT Martin at South Florida, Aug. 30/UT Martin at Auburn, Nov. 8: Since 1988, UT Martin has had three winning seasons – and 11 seasons with three or fewer wins. Playing the Skyhawks as your season-opener is bad enough. But playing them in early November truly is weak. Yes, that's homecoming weekend for Auburn. But while it's important to win on homecoming, shouldn't the opposition provide just a teensy bit of intrigue?

6. Northern Colorado at Purdue, Sept. 6: Northern Colorado was 1-11 last season, which means Purdue should be able to chew up and spit out the Bears to get outgoing coach Joe Tiller's last go-round off to a good start.

5. Rhode Island at Boston College, Sept. 27: This would have some intrigue if it were a basketball game. Alas …. The Colonial Athletic Association may be the best I-AA league, but Rhode Island is one of the CAA's worst programs. The Rams have finished with a losing record in 11 of the past 12 seasons – never winning more than four games in those losing seasons – and 19 of the past 22. If Boston College wants to play a I-AA program based in the Northeast, play Massachusetts or New Hampshire, not Rhode Island.

4. Charleston Southern at Miami, Aug. 28: This is the first of two Miamis that Charleston Southern – which is in the Big South Conference and finished 5-6 last season – will play this season. The Bucs play at Miami (Ohio) on Sept. 13. This is a Thursday night game and the first for the Hurricanes at Dolphin Stadium. Is anybody going to be there?

3. Western Carolina at Florida State, Sept. 6/Chattanooga at Florida State, Sept. 13: Chattanooga and Western Carolina are the two worst programs in the Southern Conference; they combined to go 3-19 last season. Plus, these are the first two home games of the season for the Seminoles (yeah, the fans will be psyched to see those "contests"). Then again, Florida State figures to be wracked by academic suspensions, so playing two patsies – and getting two more wins for Bobby Bowden – might be the best way to start the season.

2. Coastal Carolina at Penn State, Aug. 30: Coastal Carolina? What, State College High wasn't available? Coastal Carolina was founded in 1954 – four years after Joe Paterno became an assistant at Penn State. Coastal Carolina started playing football in 2003 – which was Paterno's 38th season as Penn State's head coach (and, coincidentally, the worst season of his career). Given Paterno's largesse to Penn State's libraries – he has donated upward of $4 million – is it any surprise the Nittany Lions are playing a patsy whose nickname (the Chanticleers) is derived from Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales"? Maybe this is the start of an annual Big Ten-Big South Challenge (Coastal Carolina is in the Big South); for sure, it's a Challenge the Big Ten would win.

1. Chattanooga at Oklahoma, Aug. 30: What in the world is Oklahoma doing playing Chattanooga, which has had just four winning seasons since 1988? The Mocs were 2-9 last season. In the past 20 seasons, the Mocs are 0-19 vs. Division I-A foes, losing those games by an average margin of 34 points per game. Only one of those games was decided by fewer than 14 points. Hey, perhaps OU folks figured a blowout of a bad I-AA team to open the season will erase some of the bad taste still remaining from the Fiesta Bowl beatdown administered by West Virginia."

Re: 12 embarrassing 2008 IA v. IAA matchups

I'd say that Wisonsin v Cal Poly could be interesting. Considering the timing, all Wisconsin will have to worry about is what Bowl game they will be participating in. They better not sleep on Poly, or it could get interesting.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
      I'd say that Wisonsin v Cal Poly could be interesting. Considering the timing, all Wisconsin will have to worry about is what Bowl game they will be participating in. They better not sleep on Poly, or it could get interesting.

And Wisconsin doesn't play well historically against the sort of offense Cal Poly runs. They have had well documented problems stopping lowly Northwestern when they ran that "shotgun" offense or whatever they called it. Purdue has given them some trouble as well. Wisconsin's D was much maligned last year and they lost quite a few in the linebacking and D-line. I think it will be a much better game than most would think. Remember, Wisconsin was really trying hard to get NDSU into that slot but NDSU just couldn't make it work. I think Wisconsin wanted a 1-AA team but didn't want to schedule a patsy. I think they've done that.

What is interesting about that article quoted above and its questioning of Cal Poly is that Cal Poly has had some 1-A wins in the last 4 years. Even the 1-A games they lost were generally close if memory serves me. And they were a playoff team just 2 seasons ago. Not exactly a patsy by any standard.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Could be a coming out party for Ramses Barden as a potential NFL draft pick in possibly his last game. The Cal Poly offense should be very good again this year and could make it an interesting game. Really looking forward to seeing them at CAS this season.

Comment

How much money is Chattanooga taking home? Paychecks from Florida State and Oklahoma? Hope it is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
            How much money is Chattanooga taking home? Paychecks from Florida State and Oklahoma? Hope it is worth it.
            In the same conference with App St., Ga Southern, Furman, etc. and a weak team. No use pushing hard for the play-offs when the championship is played in your stadium.

Go for the $$$$, and play for the championship when the leads of the 3-peat champs is graduated (after 2009).

UT-Martin is committing similar $$$ play-off suicide. Poly has two FBS games, the other SDSU, and Wis.

Comment

Maybe someone else can explain, but I am surprised that the SDSU-Iowa State game was not on the list. Apparently the Cyclones are not seen as a giant among FBD (Formally D1A). There could be some surprises especially Cal Poly and Wisconsin. What we seen of Cal Poly makes me take my hat off and our wins over them have been very hard earned ones at that. Its a better program than the writer wants to give credit too. It could very likely be a UM-NDSU game.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                My guess it could be close to a million dollars. Guarentees have run from 350k to 500k. I dont know how FSU is in terms of gurarentees. There has to be some friendships among adminstrations or coaching staffs otherwise the game would not likely to scheduled. Who knows.

No doubt they are going to have a hard time keeping everyone healthy after those two games. You got to hope both of the giants will pull their starters before the first quarter ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Maybe someone else can explain, but I am surprised that the SDSU-Iowa State game was not on the list. Apparently the Cyclones are not seen as a giant among FBD (Formally D1A). There could be some surprises especially Cal Poly and Wisconsin. What we seen of Cal Poly makes me take my hat off and our wins over them have been very hard earned ones at that. Its a better program than the writer wants to give credit too. It could very likely be a UM-NDSU game.

SDSU is good and Iowa State isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Wisconsin has been a top 25 team for several years. The Goofers went 1-11 last year. Wisconsin is a significantly better team than the Goofers.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Oh yeah..Iowa State is no good either. I think we have a chance to upset them.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

When you read the underlying "assumptions" of the RIVALS article, those teams in the top 16 of FCS were not selected for any of their games. SDSU fits into that category, based on the 2007 season. Definitely top 25.

Likewise, the BIG 6 conference teams need to still be upper tier in their conferences. Iowa St. doesn't qualify, based on their 2007 season.

As a reminder, those of you that wish to be part of the FANS polling, that is something that can be achieved at ANYGIVENSATURDAY.COM

The preseason poll for AGS is usually voted on about 5/20, so be on the look out for that. To qualify to vote, 100+ posts at AGS by 5/1/2008. Can't homer vote the Jacks #1 (unless you have knowledge that they will be, and have a buddy that also votes them #1).

I've not done my usual background research yet, but I can see Jacks top 15. We have a reasonable shot at being one of the top 3 Gateway teams.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                            I'll give anyone 35 points and still cover with Wisconsin.

Comment

Working...
                            X