Minnesota won't reconsider playing UND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota won't reconsider playing UND

The U of M has decided that its policy of not playing UND except in hockey (to protest the Fighting Sioux nickname) will remain in effect. In other words: UND won't be getting a revenue game with the football Gophers.

Wow, USD picked a neato transition buddy!

http://www.startribune.com/gophers/story/1475545.html
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Minnesota won't reconsider playing UND

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    The U of M has decided that its policy of not playing UND except in hockey (to protest the Fighting Sioux nickname) will remain in effect. In other words: UND won't be getting a revenue game with the football Gophers.

Wow, USD picked a neato transition buddy!

http://www.startribune.com/gophers/story/1475545.html

They certainly do have a lot on their plates up there...foremost of which SHOULD be the transition to D-1, which as far as anyone can tell is about third on their list behind trying to keep their name, and figuring out if the current AD is the guy or not. Oh, and I forgot the main ball in the juggleing act...trying to keep the Englestad family happy.
    Not the partner I'd want...but then again neither is USD.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

The Gophers will come up with any excuse they can to avoid getting beat by a neighoring State school just moving up to DI. I guess I can see where that would be embarrassing. I'm sure they are still thanking their lucky stars that they blocked that FG against NDSU last year. Getting beat by SDSU and I think NDSU in women's basketball probably didn't sit too well with them either.

Comment

Same story...rank hypocrisy about appearing holy by condemning the infidels who insist on using "offensive" mascots while simultaneously avoiding upsetting the sacred hockey applecart. If UND is so damn bad for having the audacity to defy the PC police, then sever your hockey relationship as well. THAT I will applaud!

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit View Post
          Same story...rank hypocrisy about appearing holy by condemning the infidels who insist on using "offensive" mascots while simultaneously avoiding upsetting the sacred hockey applecart. If UND is so damn bad for having the audacity to defy the PC police, then sever your hockey relationship as well. THAT I will applaud!
          I'm going to have to agree with you here! Although, I understand they are in the same conference in hockey and because of that it is a conference issue and the U of M gets by on that. I would bet that is what GopherLand would tell you if they were asked why the play in hockey and not other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit View Post

You're still kicking over in Rochester heh? My wife will be in the Rochester area next weekend to see friends. I'll be hunting pheasants back home. Are you planning to attend and football games?

Now, back on topic for the rest of you.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by juice View Post
              The Gophers will come up with any excuse they can to avoid getting beat by a neighoring State school just moving up to DI. I guess I can see where that would be embarrassing. I'm sure they are still thanking their lucky stars that they blocked that FG against NDSU last year. Getting beat by SDSU and I think NDSU in women's basketball probably didn't sit too well with them either.
              Um... what?

I don't see any excuses to "avoid getting beat" here. After all, the Gophers play NDSU again in football a week from Saturday (and will probably get beat). If your little claim is true, shouldn't they have gotten out of that game? They play SDSU next year.

Believe what you want about the mascot controversy. It's not a winning issue for USD if Coyote fans start defending their transition buddy on that count.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The best part of it all is that Minnesota will be playing Central Michigan and Florida St. in men's basketball in November.

Comment

Originally posted by bincitysioux View Post
                  The best part of it all is that Minnesota will be playing Central Michigan and Florida St. in men's basketball in November.
                  Exactly my point. The hypocrisy is amazing. It wouldn't be near as embarrassing to lose to Florida St. I guess than it would to UND. If UND was a bigger name school, or an easy win, I'm sure the Gophers wouldn't have a problem with playing them.

Comment

If UND was a bigger name school, or an easy win, I'm sure the Gophers wouldn't have a problem with playing them.
                    Umm....we don't know that.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Exactly my point. The hypocrisy is amazing. It wouldn't be near as embarrassing to lose to Florida St. I guess than it would to UND. If UND was a bigger name school, or an easy win, I'm sure the Gophers wouldn't have a problem with playing them.

Oh come on guys...you know the NCAA has given these two schools a "hall pass" for their names based on tribal permission. Now if you want to argue hypocrisy in regards to the U of M still playing UND in hockey that I can see.

Bottom line, the Florida State's and Illinois's of the world can afford to fight this fight, at this point in a D-1 transition, UND cannot IMO.

Question for Sioux Fans...Have they ever just considered dropping the "Fighting" part and getting rid of the "Siouxhead" logo??

Don't get me wrong, the name "Fighting Sioux" doesn't bother me a bit, but on the other hand I'm not a Native American from a Sioux tribe, so it doesn't matter one bit what I think, it matters what they think. And the NCAA of course.

Go Jacks!!
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        Oh come on guys...you know the NCAA has given these two schools a "hall pass" for their names based on tribal permission. Now if you want to argue hypocrisy in regards to the U of M still playing UND in hockey that I can see.
                        Perhaps that is their thinking, I don't know. If so, they should probably rephrase their policy which states they "discourage the Athletics Department from scheduling games against ANY school with a Native American nickname or mascot".

And if they really feel so strongly about it, perhaps they should consider stop selling UND apparel in the gift shop of their hockey arena.

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        Question for Sioux Fans...Have they ever just considered dropping the "Fighting" part and getting rid of the "Siouxhead" logo??
                        It's been tossed around on message boards and such, but never been formally discussed to my knowledge. Any alteration of the name and/or logo would in my eyes be admitting that the University is a hostile and abusive place, which is flat out untrue.

Comment

Has it escaped everyone's attention that UND and UM are in the same conference (WCHA) for hockey? Tough to say you're not going to play a school that's in your own conference.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Has it escaped everyone's attention that UND and UM are in the same conference (WCHA) for hockey? Tough to say you're not going to play a school that's in your own conference.
                            I assumed everyone understood that, perhaps that was an incorrect assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              I'm going to have to agree with you here! Although, I understand they are in the same conference in hockey and because of that it is a conference issue and the U of M gets by on that. I would bet that is what GopherLand would tell you if they were asked why the play in hockey and not other sports.
                              Earlier post here Filbert...it certainly is a conference deal...they can't refuse to play a conference opponent regardless of what the NCAA honchos advocate.

Comment

Working...
                              X