Augie building on-campus stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augie building on-campus stadium

It's official today: Augustana will build an on-campus football stadium at the site of its current practice field/track. Planned capacity is about 6,500.

Re: Augie building on-campus stadium

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    It's official today: Augustana will build an on-campus football stadium at the site of its current practice field/track. Planned capacity is about 6,500.
    This will be a beautiful addition to the Augie campus .......very nice design.

Comment

If Augie and USF will not be using Howard Wood... why are they renovating Howard Wood? Especially when these two stadiums will be nicer then Howard Wood?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        If Augie and USF will not be using Howard Wood... why are they renovating Howard Wood? Especially when these two stadiums will be nicer then Howard Wood?
        In the past Howard Wood has been over used. I can recall at least one game with Augie where the mid field was mud in the middle of October. There are still four high schools that can use the field, but with Augie pulling out, they may defer their plans for an upgrade. I am sure certain people in Sioux Falls are asking the same question.

Comment

Augustana has made some very nice upgrades to their athletic facilities including a new football facility, 24-hour-access basketball practice facility with two courts, and a new baseball facility with multiple indoor batting cages (renovation of the old football building). They're going to be the envy of the rest of the NSIC when you add that football stadium to the picture. Congrats to the administration at Augie for making the right decision to stay D2 and for enhancing their athletic facilities to be nationally competitive at that level.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think an on-campus football facility will be a great thing for Augie but I have to say that the news suprised me. With USF and SF Christian having a new facility and O'Gorman having one already, that leaves the three SF public schools and Augie at Howard Wood. With the new turf at HW it can handle as many games as there is time. No HW isn't on campus but it can't be costing them a ton to use it. The atmosphere sucks but the field itself is good with the new field turf.

If there is a donor/s out there that wants to pony up the funds to build a nice on campus facility you probably have to do it. My point is this, I would think that they should concentrate on building a first-class indoor arena for basketball and volleyball. Elmen Center is a high school gym at best. Myabe they plan on playing some basketball in the Arena again. Always thought it was a big mistake when they quit playing there.

Just my thoughts even though it got kind of long. I think a lot I guess!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              In the past Howard Wood has been over used. I can recall at least one game with Augie where the mid field was mud in the middle of October. There are still four high schools that can use the field, but with Augie pulling out, they may defer their plans for an upgrade. I am sure certain people in Sioux Falls are asking the same question.
              There is Field Turf on Howard Wood Field now so there aren't any issues with the turf being in bad shape. There is significant cost to maintain it but it obviously doesn't tear up.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Should improve their ability to recruit within the DII, DIII or NAIA ranks. Good for Augie and I think good for Sioux Falls.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

here's a look

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70926051

http://www.goaugie.com/article.asp?articleid=87775

Comment

I think Augie has the right idea here... build something with out a track to there needs. (6,500 fans) on campus. This should encourage student support....

Comment

I believe Augie pays about $5000 to rent HW for each game. If memory serves correct, they then get all ticket revenue. Not sure how concessions work.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

KELO has a comparison of Sioux Falls football stadium capacities on its site:

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,61384

Augie and USF will be comparable when completed.
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          There is Field Turf on Howard Wood Field now so there aren't any issues with the turf being in bad shape. There is significant cost to maintain it but it obviously doesn't tear up.

SUPERBUNNY

Oh yes I am well aware of the upgrade. Maybe I misunderstood Joeboo, but is there not another upgrade planned for HW? The game I was referring too, was maybe 1987-88 or 89 somewhere in there. Its a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Oh yes I am well aware of the upgrade. Maybe I misunderstood Joeboo, but is there not another upgrade planned for HW? The game I was referring too, was maybe 1987-88 or 89 somewhere in there. Its a while back.
                            Yes they are going to replace the grandstands on both sides, each on seperate years. I don't think you can ever have too many nice stadiums in a city. HW will become a very nice High school stadium. Too bad the weather isn't a little nicer in the November, so it could hold the State High School Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Yes they are going to replace the grandstands on both sides, each on seperate years. I don't think you can ever have too many nice stadiums in a city. HW will become a very nice High school stadium. Too bad the weather isn't a little nicer in the November, so it could hold the State High School Championships.
                              That is a great idea. Winning a state championship without having to play in the dome would be ideal.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X