U of Sioux Falls facilities etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U of Sioux Falls facilities etc.

Today's Argus Leader has a story about USF's athletic facilities and the possibility that Augustana will now seek an on-campus football stadium.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...709190335/1002

There are always rumors about USF moving to NCAA DII. I wonder if that's the right thing ... one would think they would enjoy staying at the top of NAIA for a while longer. I know some of their football games are real yawners because USF simply overpowers some opponents.

The same Argus has a story about USF having its largest undergrad enrollment ever with 1,032 full-time undergrads (total enrollment is down a little to 1,628 from 1,674 which officials attribute to a decline in part-time students).

Re: U of Sioux Falls facilities etc.

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Today's Argus Leader has a story about USF's athletic facilities and the possibility that Augustana will now seek an on-campus football stadium.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...709190335/1002

There are always rumors about USF moving to NCAA DII. I wonder if that's the right thing ... one would think they would enjoy staying at the top of NAIA for a while longer. I know some of their football games are real yawners because USF simply overpowers some opponents.

The same Argus has a story about USF having its largest undergrad enrollment ever with 1,032 full-time undergrads (total enrollment is down a little to 1,628 from 1,674 which officials attribute to a decline in part-time students).

IMO most of the football games USF plays on a weekly basis are a joke. USF should've moved up to D-II years ago, just as most of us on this board would agree SDSU and NDSU probably should've moved up to D-I with UNI 20 some years ago.
    If USF alum and supportors revel in beating these kinds of opponents week in week out and have no reason to see the need to move up to D-II, then shame on them.
    I would be willing to bet $$ there are teams on USF's football schedule that O'Gorman or Roosevelt would beat.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

My guess is that as soon as they are able to move on upgrades to the Stewart Center, the move will be made. They need new facilities to make the switch and FB is in place. Once BB is in place, I believe the switch will be made.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

On the surface, you would wonder if USF would cut into SDSU support in SF, but it might have an opposite affect. Who knows. USF has had great teams over the past 10 to 20 years, but they don't seem to great that much excitement at least within SF. USF has the scholarship dollar issue the same as Augie, and that is it costs 20k plus per pop, being a private college. I believe AD Willie Sanchez attended all of SDSU's open forums on moving up to D1, so no doubt he has learned a great deal and probably will find the dollars before Bill Gross over at Augie. Those Norwegian Lutherans like to hang on to their money, as they always fear bad times economically. Interesting article.

Comment

I think as time goes on it will become obvious, if it isn't already, that SDSU and USF are literally in different leagues as far as sports go. It's a bit like the Twins vs. the Canaries. There's no reason why someone in Sioux Falls can't be a fan of both.

Still, good for USF. Augie's going to need a good rival (although there's always Northern State . . . )
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

"Sanchez hopes that, if all goes well, the Sanford facility could become a candidate to host other high school events. Meile didn't rule that out.
            "USF could definitely be a player in the Friday portion of the state track meets," Meile said, referring to the "satellite" venues that are necessary for the first day of state competition."

This is one of many reasons I would like to see SDSU and BHS work together to get a track venue in Brookings. I find it frustrating that neither SDSU nor BHS has been able to maintain the current ones in town. I know BHS is planning on improving the current track at BHS, but it will not be a venue that will be able to host anything real significant (attendance wise). Plus, the City of Brookings is allowing them to take away the two adjacent intermediate baseball fields in the process. They are great practice fields for the local teams and gives Bob Sheldon Field a little bit of a break in the summer.

I would be interested to know if a joint use facility was ever discussed, I suppose it was. I can't for the life of me understand why they couldn't make it work.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I said it earlier and agree but I think SDSU should put a track up and then have a football stadium that would fit the high school all in one venue. By doing this you get a quality track both schools can use, BHS gets a football stadium that is meant for a high school to play on and SDSU gets a quality track and gets BHS off of CAS on friday nights.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                I said it earlier and agree but I think SDSU should put a track up and then have a football stadium that would fit the high school all in one venue. By doing this you get a quality track both schools can use, BHS gets a football stadium that is meant for a high school to play on and SDSU gets a quality track and gets BHS off of CAS on friday nights.

Sorry joe, in a thousand years you will not a see a track around SDSU's football field. I will say it again...Nothing screams High School like a track around your COLLEGE football field.

Go Jacks!!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                  Sorry joe, in a thousand years you will not a see a track around SDSU's football field. I will say it again...Nothing screams High School like a track around your COLLEGE football field.

Go Jacks!!!
                  Actually, I think Joe's proposal is that SDSU build a collegiate-quality track and put a football field in the middle of it that only BHS would use. That way, State gets a new track, BHS gets a football field, and BHS no longer needs to play it's games at CAS, preserving the turf for the Jacks. Am I right Joe?

And I wholeheartedly agree with Propar's assessment about combined track and football facilities, i.e. Augie, Uno ...
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                  X