Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grands Forks Herald has an article about AD status.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grands Forks Herald has an article about AD status.

Found this link over on D2 football. The football team at UND may be winning, but AD and progress in the transition appears to have some problems or would differences be more descriptive? Apparently rumors are very powerful in Grand Forks. If you read the article, the Herald found that Buning was in good standing with adminstration, but not with fans. The article tells me he is a capable individual and has done a good job, but the vocal locals are not happy with his thinking. They want Roger Thomas or Rod Bollinger back. Will the ugly message board fans at SiouxSports.com get their way? Hard to say.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...s.cfm?id=50484
    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-16-2007, 05:32 PM.

Re: Grands Forks Herald has an article about AD status.

The article does not have a byline, and hides behind "staff reports". Obviously they want accountability from their AD, but not from their newspaper!

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
      The article does not have a byline, and hides behind "staff reports". Obviously they want accountability from their AD, but not from their newspaper!

As an update, from the SiouxSports.com, they are reporting on KFGO and also through Forum Communication, that AD Bunning is on a medical leave. No other details, and I dont think his job is in jeopordy. The fans up there are something else. They seem to resent outsiders and that is what AD Bunning is and as soon as he does something unpopular, he becomes red meat for the fans to chew on. Some talk about bringing Rob Bollinger or Roger Thomas back, and I see that as a mistake as neither have no D1 experience and no insight on what needs to be done. They need the ex Army, Bunning to run things. IMO.

Comment

I guess I am the only one following this issue, but I think all four Dakota schools will be competing somewhere down the road.

In the Zone, from Vermin land, had Wayne Nelson from the Grand Forks Herald on their show to day and its appears something is definitely up and Wayne was of the opinion that Bunning the AD is gone. Here is GF's beat writer who know pretty much about what is going on. I did not hear all of the interview, but apparently there are two new people running the AD responsiblities. Jeff Culhane made his editoral about AD Bunning and described him as an "odd duck" based on the interviews and conversations that he had with AD Bunning. I don't know if thats an accurate characterization, but none the less thats what Culhane said reguarding Bunning.

Wayne Nelson said something will soon come out and he said he did not know, but all the signals seem indicate to him, that Bunning was not coming back.

Comment

My brother was a teacher in Grand Forks and a graduate of UND. He had a chance to teach the AD's daughter, so he got to know the family a little bit. He always spoke very highly of him and his family. So, characterizing him as an odd duck might not be fair. Probably just the difference in his East Coast sensibilities and our Midwest sensibilities.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            My brother was a teacher in Grand Forks and a graduate of UND. He had a chance to teach the AD's daughter, so he got to know the family a little bit. He always spoke very highly of him and his family. So, characterizing him as an odd duck might not be fair. Probably just the difference in his East Coast sensibilities and our Midwest sensibilities.
            I agree, and its familes that are often hurt the most by this adminstrative stuff that gets to the 10 oclock news and elsewhere. .

You have to consider the source, here namely Jeff Culhane of Vermillion radio. I am amazed how civil he is when he interviews Coach Stig. Back to the Bunnings, I really do think he has had a hard time fitting in. In my mind he appeared to be doing the right thing. One thing cited was the fact that staff people were driving cars that auto dealers had loan or given to the University for athletics. Bunning took the cars from the staff and gave them to the coaches which makes the most sense since the coaches use them for recruiting trips. He compensated those who lost the cars, but apparently this was still not right in some minds. Hamreson in my opinion did a very fatal thing to Bunning in giving the staff in HPER a survey to indicate the opinion of the AD. Most people dont always agree with the boss, and their dissatisfaction was used against him. Will the next AD have the same problem? I think he will and going D1 for UND is going to go at snail pace especially since Kupchella retires at year end. This adds to the progress problems of D1.

I am sure Mr. Bunning and family are great people.
            UND wanted an AD with D1 experience and its a shame the staff is not behind him. I think SDSU was in a similar situation early on right after the announcement. We had coaches who were skeptical. Those who did not buy in left or were asked to leave. Bunning being a outsider did not have that control over the staff. The women's bb coach Gene something has never been a big fan of going D1. Heard him on the radio a couple years back. He was very critical of SDSU and NDSU for making the move, so this coach could be causing problems. Not saying he is, but who knows what is going on in the Athletic Department.

I spent a week in GF last spring. I was amazed with people wearing green on a daily basis. That is why I think they have huge potential when you line them up with USD. UND does not need a sugar daddy to bale them out, they have great support among the small people in GF and surrounding area. Ralph no doubt felt he owed the hockey nuts something, and he went overboard with his gift. Now UND has allowed an alum to park his money on campus and wag the dog. USD on the other hand is dead in the water without big gifts. The little people dont seem to buy everything USD admin proposes and does. I dont know but I dont think UND and USD will be able to match the progress of NDSU and SDSU, with these changes in leadership. Right now USD appears to be the strongest of the two because there is stablity with the Pres and AD.

Comment

Here is an update on the situation at UND. AD Bunning has responded or did in a written letter to a survey. His responses are really interesting and boy I would be very troubled to learn that one of the many loyal and generous Jack Supports were allowed to act as the individual apparently has been doing up in UND country. It appears this individual was striring things up and also turning around and reporting it back to the President. If that correct, then they have a mess up there thats really going to set them back in terms of transisition. Add to that the law suit and you got real problems.

There is much more to this story yet to be revealed, I tend to believe.

Here is the lnk:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...ction=homepage
              Last edited by Nidaros; 09-23-2007, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X