• USD Coach Retiring

Looks like Chad Lavin won't be around for the "pups" move to D-I

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70912044
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: USD Coach Retiring

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    Looks like Chad Lavin won't be around for the "pups" move to D-I

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70912044
    Well, yet another Coyote jumping ship before the transition even starts. Specifically stating the D-I move is a reason he's leaving. This along with the administrative positions they've lost can't be a good foundation for the move. Thankfully SDSU didn't have to deal with things like this when we made our transition!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      This along with the administrative positions they've lost can't be a good foundation for the move.
      Or, it could be good ... if they backfill the positions with the right people who are up to the challenge.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

This is probably going to turn into a smack thread, but this is the price you pay when you are "forced" into a situation(UXD's), instead of wanting to be in a situation(XDSU's).

Knowing the arrogance of USD, I'm sure they will contact AJ, just so they can say they did.

Thank God I'm a Jackrabbit Fan!!

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
          Thank God I'm a Jackrabbit Fan!!
          Can I get an AMEN!

Comment

AMEN, Brother!
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I spoke with Lavin after SDSU was having success in transition and there were strong rumors that USD would be making the announcement. He told me then that if USD moved to D-I, he'd hang it up. I didn't read too much into the meaning of his comment other than the fact that he had coached at that level and just didn't want to do it again. I think he sincerely felt the NCC and DII were right for his program. I had the impression it was a decision in the vein of 'it's just not right for him and if the decision makers feel it's right, that's okay, I'll get out of the way.'

He gets to have one more season in DII and that gives USD a lot of lead time to find a new coach to wander through the transition desert.

Glad we have the coaches we have at the top of our men's and women's basketball teams! Go Jackrabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                I spoke with Lavin after SDSU was having success in transition and there were strong rumors that USD would be making the announcement. He told me then that if USD moved to D-I, he'd hang it up. I didn't read too much into the meaning of his comment other than the fact that he had coached at that level and just didn't want to do it again. I think he sincerely felt the NCC and DII were right for his program. I had the impression it was a decision in the vein of 'it's just not right for him and if the decision makers feel it's right, that's okay, I'll get out of the way.'

He gets to have one more season in DII and that gives USD a lot of lead time to find a new coach to wander through the transition desert.

Glad we have the coaches we have at the top of our men's and women's basketball teams! Go Jackrabbits.
                Lets think about it, Chad had a good DII program at a great DII institution (academically). He used that to "get" a lot of talented players who could have/were on teams elsewhere. Now, they will be just another DI institution/program located Vermillion. Chad seem to know whats best for him. I think he realizes he isn't going to have the success recruiting at the DI level that he had at the DII level, I don't believe I have to explain it any further, I risk the chance of sounding even more like this is smack.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Whose choice was it to leave Wyoming a few years back? The Admin or was it Chad choice?

Wyoming had a good program last year, but dont know the history prior to last year.

Comment

On Cullhane's radio show today he said several factors related to the move to DI clinched the decision for him to retire. The increased travel, he and his wife were not interested in more time on the road. Lack of money for his program from the institution. He cited SDSU spending 5 or 6 times what USD spends on women's BB. Finally, he has concerns about the women's and men's BB teams at USD maintaining any level of success without the transfers they have relied so heavily on. I think Chad makes some very valid points. Best of luck to him. I wonder if Becky Flynn-Jensen will fill the position?
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I wonder if Becky Flynn-Jensen will fill the position?
                      I think she would have the inside track, and might just be their AJ. I am trying to answer my own question in the previous post, but seems like Lavin came back to USD from Wyoming right after the turblent season where the head coach and assist either quit or were asked to leave. Subsequently the law suits that included other women sports coaches over Title IX were filed. So in a sense, Chad has been probably more than a coach in that he kept the program from going into complete chaos. If memory serves me right, a couple of high school coaches including Fred Tibbets finished the season for USD, and then Chad was hired back.

These are the things from the recent past that most yotes dont like to discuss any more than we like talking about the Hixson-Worzella affairs. Got to be an old guy to get that one.

The spending issue is very enlightening and it often takes an inside source to reveal that kind of information. If we are spending 5 or 6 times what they are spending, we must be doing something right. I do think its very hard to compare a budget that is coming out of D2 with one that is at D1 for 4 years. Its an apple and orange.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I wonder if Becky Flynn-Jensen will fill the position?
                        I doubt it. From what I hear she is not interested in the head coaching position. The new coach will be somebody not currently on the staff.

I'm very thankful for the job that Lavin has done. USD's women went through a lot of very bad years in the 90's until Lavin took over. Before he took over they struggled to get any conference wins. I'm also thankful that he recognized that he probably didn't have the energy to make the transition to DI work. There is a lot more traveling involved, and it probably would be best for a young, hungry coach to guide the Yotes through the process.

Comment

Working...
                        X