NCAA v UND lawsuit status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA v UND lawsuit status

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- A court-ordered pause in attorney document requests related to a lawsuit against the NCAA over the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname is not being extended.

Northeast Central District Judge Lawrence Jahnke issued the order in July, directing attorneys on both sides to stop discovery in the lawsuit until Aug. 19 and urging them to settle the dispute out of court. Discovery is the process attorneys use to demand information from each other during legal proceedings.

Liz Brocker, a spokeswoman for the North Dakota attorney general's office, confirmed the halt in discovery proceedings will not be extended.

Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem declined to say whether settlement talks will continue after the discovery process resumes. NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said the association will continue settlement talks if UND is willing.

The NCAA considers UND's nickname "hostile and abusive" to American Indians and has said UND may not host postseason tournaments or use the nickname as a tournament participant. UND's lawsuit challenges the process the NCAA used to arrive at its conclusion.

...for the rest of the ESPN story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/...=NCAAHeadlines

Re: NCAA v UND lawsuit status

It was just reported on KWSN that the Fargo Forum has released a story saying UND has agreed to drop the Sioux nickname in 3 years unless they can get support from the local tribes.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
      It was just reported on KWSN that the Fargo Forum has released a story saying UND has agreed to drop the Sioux nickname in 3 years unless they can get support from the local tribes.
      http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3080540

ESPN's note about the settlement.

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- The state Board of Higher Education settled a lawsuit with the NCAA over the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux nickname, giving the school three years to get tribal approval or retire it.
      (more at ESPN)

Comment

Deal sounds fair enough to me. Hopefully it will get figured out either way, sooner rather than later. For UND's sake, they need to put this behind them so they can concentrate on how they are going match the success of their instate companions.

Comment

So what does everybody think will happen? Pay, deal, do whatever to get the tribes to approve or to get a new nickname? I think NDSU is going to have to consider playing UND in the next 3 years to get the Nickel back trophy back.... then they can tell UND to shove it......

Comment

I think there likely will be a lot of pressure in the next couple of years from UND and the Engelstad people on the Sioux tribes in ND to accept the nickname.....unless UND's next president makes a bold decision by walking away from the Fighting Sioux...

Comment

UND pulls a Steinbrenner. They have been trying very hard to get their approval for about two years and have not been able to do it. At most, UND is going to do nothing more than a cursory ask. Even if they get approval now, it only lasts until one of them pulls their approval, then UND has to change within a year. Talk about being held hostage. UND makes an offer that the tribes can't accept, and then tries to shift the blame on the tribes.

Maybe UND can hire our logo consultants so their attention is shifted to something else and we can go elsewhere. Oops, did I say that out loud.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

They may go back to being the "Flickertails".

Comment

In my mind I see the dropping of the fighting part of the nickname and they become the UND Sioux. Then UND starts some programs for the tribes in the healthcare and education areas.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

EQ,
                    what do you think about the logo? Will they get to keep it?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                      EQ,
                      what do you think about the logo? Will they get to keep it?
                      Don't think they could afford to change all the logos in the hockey arean!

Comment

I personally think its a very proud looking logo. If they can get others to view it that way I think they keep it.

If I understand the reports correctly, part of the agreement is that they wouldn't have to replace the logos that are etched in granite and the others will stay until replacement of the items they are burned into becomes necessary
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

I like the logo and would hate to see them have to change it. Hopefully and arrangement can be made.

Comment

The settlement allows them to keep most of the logos in the hockey arena, even if they have to change. The only ones they would ahve to change are those that will wear out, i.e. logos in the carpet, on the seats. One news report included the logos in the tile, but I'm not sure when they would wear out. The rest have to be gone in 15 years.

Comment

The tribes can probably expect some big-time financial incentives. I wouldn't blame them for trying to get every dime they can. But the tribes might just say no to the name on principle, too.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X