Pete Maravich Record Stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Maravich Record Stands

Kudos to the folks putting together the CBI tournament for not bowing to the pressure to have Detroit Mercy be included in the field. What Maravich did in three years with no three-point line was other worldly.

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    Kudos to the folks putting together the CBI tournament for not bowing to the pressure to have Detroit Mercy be included in the field. What Maravich did in three years with no three-point line was other worldly.
    Quite a few of his made shots we're beyond the present day 3 pt line for sure, and his record is for just 3 years being able to play, as back then , freshmen couldn't play with the varsity team. Truly amazing.

Comment

A 44pt game today is enough to get a player a mention on Sports Center. He averaged that (44.2 pt/gm) for his career as a 6’5” guard with no 3pt line and no shot clock

That is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
        A 44pt game today is enough to get a player a mention on Sports Center. He averaged that (44.2 pt/gm) for his career as a 6’5” guard with no 3pt line and no shot clock

That is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        He wouldn't of been much fun to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post

He also liked to pass, although admittedly, he did like to score better.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

He also liked to pass, although admittedly, he did like to score better.
            He averaged just about 40 shots per game!

Comment

i cannot tell if you are serious or sarcastic here?

i dont remember hearing anything about teammates not liking to play with him. until the very end of his career apparently him and larry bird got into a small discussion when larry told him if he could shoot better then larry would not keep getting double or triple teamed. that is honestly the only thing i ever heard. not saying i am a maravich expert and heard every comment. but my impressin is always that he was pretty beloved at LSU

and as far as shooting too much

he shot 43.8% as a soph assists 4.0
              44.2 as a junior assists 4.9
              44.5 as a senior - 6.2

for comparison

this year
              max abmas 44.1 assists 4.0
              massner 43.9 assists 5.4
              mayo 42.6 assists 3.4

and he was guarded war more aggressively and more physically than anyone is today. and i think his efficiency was always acceptable but by comparison he would be unquestionably efficient today

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i cannot tell if you are serious or sarcastic here?

i dont remember hearing anything about teammates not liking to play with him. until the very end of his career apparently him and larry bird got into a small discussion when larry told him if he could shoot better then larry would not keep getting double or triple teamed. that is honestly the only thing i ever heard. not saying i am a maravich expert and heard every comment. but my impressin is always that he was pretty beloved at LSU

and as far as shooting too much

he shot 43.8% as a soph assists 4.0
                44.2 as a junior assists 4.9
                44.5 as a senior - 6.2

for comparison

this year
                max abmas 44.1 assists 4.0
                massner 43.9 assists 5.4
                mayo 42.6 assists 3.4

and he was guarded war more aggressively and more physically than anyone is today. and i think his efficiency was always acceptable but by comparison he would be unquestionably efficient today

How many shot attempts per game did those players average?

Comment

ok so you are serious. your perspective is that he was a ball hog and you would not want him on your team

my perspective is that players have roles. and on rare occasions you play with a legendary player and they probably get to be legendary by putting in way more time than anyone else on the team. that was DEFNINTELY the case with Pistol Pete. he had a ball in his hands basically 24 hours a day from the time he could walk.

as a coach might have i pushed him to perhaps make a couple more passes? maybe but i guess i would have to go watch the film to see for sure. i have never heard that there were any problems on the LSU team with players thinking he was a ball hog. are you aware of problems??

i have had a very close relationship with maybe 3 players who i could maybe make any comparison to maravich
                  one all time leading scorer in the state
                  and went on to be all time leading scorer at their college and their college division
                  they commonly put in over 4 hours a day outside of practice and games during season. more out of season. and easily over 8 hours a day in summertime. nobody else put in 5% of that. when there was opportunity for them to shoot or pass to someone else if the game was on the line, i choose them EVERY TIME
                  i did tell them hey if we are up by 20 maybe let someone else shoot it

in 4 years of varsity i NEVER knew one teammate who ever EVER had a problem with them. i was aware of one set of parents who had a problem. and that would probably be the case today too. kids would be just fine and respect the time and the ability of a legendary player. they would only have a problem if their parent talked them into it (in the case i mention the player had NO problem, ONLY the parents)

Comment

as to how many attempts. i think the percentage is much more relevant than the number of attempts

as Hendo always says, he does not care about misses if they are the right shots. pretty sure most of the time Pete was getting what were good shots for him

i dont remember anyone whining about Daum shooting too much on his way to being one of only 10 people to ever score over 3000 points in college. i am not looking up the FG percentages now. i am sure Daum was more efficient but he did score some in the post. it was not all 3s. point being i dont think Daum was grossly more efficient than maravich

Comment

He averaged just about 40 shots per game!
                      this is not really all that important. everyone is obviously welcome to their own opinion (i get tired of writing that i would like to assume that is a given)

i just think you have a very unusual perspective about this particular player. i think also an opinion that is very reflective of a different generation!
                      in the 60s there was ZERO thinking that EVERY kid should get to take the same amount of shots!!
                      nobody thought you had to GIVE everyone the same thing in the name of some type of equality.

it would have been very very VERY common for some players on a team to expect to shoot very very little. their role would be rebounding or defending or setting screens. and i would think it would have been very understood that you would try everything possible to get as many shots as you possibly could for someone with a legendary talent to score. i mean there is NO question he is a legendary scorer. he set a record that has not been remotely approached. even in the years closer to his playing time when players were allowed to play 4 years instead of 3 and still would have had similar ideas about roles

or later when the 3pt line is added and as the 3 has become more and more utilized

anyway your perspective is your perspective. i do think it is very unique and generationally biased

but he did actually average 38.1 shots a game for career. actually under 38 both his final 2 years
                      you will have to find the attempts and do the math dividing by games if you really want max and massner attempts. you can find zeke on our website i believe but might have to do the math there also

but the easy answer is he scored almost 3x what zeke did and shot a better % so easy guess is attempts were somewhere 2x to 3x from zeke

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

as to how many attempts. i think the percentage is much more relevant than the number of attempts

as Hendo always says, he does not care about misses if they are the right shots. pretty sure most of the time Pete was getting what were good shots for him

i dont remember anyone whining about Daum shooting too much on his way to being one of only 10 people to ever score over 3000 points in college. i am not looking up the FG percentages now. i am sure Daum was more efficient but he did score some in the post. it was not all 3s. point being i dont think Daum was grossly more efficient than maravich
                        It's even more amazing shooting an avg of around 44% while taking 40 shots a game, as opposed to say 15 shots a game, that's 25 more shots your taking a chance on lowering your shooting percentage. If I were a coach, I'd be ok with 40 shots per game at 44 % average, less than that, I'd start getting a little disgruntled. This thread isn't about WBB, but Myah Selland has had some incredible shooting percentages in some games where I wished she'd of found a few more shots, but I know that's not what our team is all about, it's about getting the best shot from whomever has the best shot. That's entirely an AJ thing and the players respect that I'm sure.

Comment

My only NBA game was him vs. Kareem in the Omni. Mid seventies. Still remember it a half century later, including the drunken teenagers behind me. Maybe my first attempt at being an old pissed off fogey.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                            My only NBA game was him vs. Kareem in the Omni. Mid seventies. Still remember it a half century later, including the drunken teenagers behind me. Maybe my first attempt at being an old pissed off fogey.
                            what do you remember about the game? i hope something other than the annoying kids behind you))

i know you saw the two of them in nba. but it is pretty amazing that those two played college ball at the same time. i think maybe Kareem graduated a year before Maravich. but the all time ncaa scorer and the all time nba scorer were in either the same graduating class or one year apart

the good old days of college sports when you could watch those two play as underclassmen and anticipate / dream about them playing for multiple more years))!! that is not the ONLY thing that has changed FOR SURE!!! but it has definitely hurt.

i hope you got to see something cool in that one!!! was Kareem still in Milwaukee?

Comment

Kareem was with Lakers. Remember seeing walking down Wisconsin Avenue when I lived in Milwaukee. Remember Maravich looking extremely loose jointed. Kind of like a much more hyper and talented Jack Theeler when the Jacks played the Yotes in the mid sixties.

Comment

Working...
                              X