NCAA and Player Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA and Player Compensation

The Supreme Court of the USA ruled last week that the NCAA cannot limit educational related compensation of student athletes, and broadly indicated that they may come down in favor of student athlete direct compensation. Assuming compensation of student athletes will happen. Assuming this will result in more money flowing to P5 schools. Assuming small school athletics will not be affected, much. I'm wondering what effect this will have on mid-major athletic programs? And, whether my assumptions hold scrutiny
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

One question i have is how this will effect fundraising for the Jackrabbit Club. Does this make fundraising more difficult? With all the changes that are happening so quickly that benefits the student - Athlete, it seems to me this has to negatively effect the appeal donors have to continue to support college athletics. If a LSU gymnast can become a millionaire overnight (reported). No need to provide her a free education/ housing etc. from a donors that make far less.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Are there rules to keep donors from just paying players? What's to keep some donor from offer a million to a player to go to said school for doing a commercial or something similar.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The system is already out of control. Hercy Miller, whose father happens to be rapper Master P, is going to be a freshman on a basketball scholarship at Tennessee State. He has already signed a 2 million dollar deal with Web Apps America. Before he has even set foot on campus.

Comment

Pretty entertaining : http://www.twitter.com/playforhim3/s...36088170618881

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Are there rules to keep donors from just paying players? What's to keep some donor from offer a million to a player to go to said school for doing a commercial or something similar.
            College athletics is now professional sports in almost every aspect, hiding behind the increasingly threadbare facade of the NCAA's deteriorating control and influence, at least at the upper levels of Division I.

(Activate Devil's Advocate mode:
            How long before we see eligibility getting lengthened to 6, 7, 8 years? Why should athletes only be allowed to be in college for 4 or 5 years? Why should there be eligibility limits at all? In fact, why should athletes actually have to attend classes at all--at least, classes which don't directly pertain to their profession of choice: athletics?
            )
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Who said the SEC was a group of universities with an identity wrapped around a football team?
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
              X