X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite college programs other than SDSU

Football-
    Like-Nebraska, SDSU
    Dislike-Miami, Florida State, Notre Dame, Florida (loved it when SI picked them to pound Nebraska, but Nebraska beat the poo out of them for a national championship.)

Basketball-
    Like-SDSU, I also enjoy watching any team that is playing well that year (I know, shameless bandwagoning) Same is true for WBB

Baseball-
    I would prefer to watch Little League WS rather than college baseball any day. You gotta admit, Little League WS is awesome!
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Football:  Any team playing the Huskers, followed by anyone playing Miami.  If I had to choose it would be Oklahoma and Florida State.

Basketball:  I got my wish last year when we played my all time favorite team, Kentucky.  If not Kentucky then whoever is playing Duke or North Carolina.

Comment

I am an avid Jackrabbit fan in every sport.  I don't closely follow any other school.

I've lived in Mn since I graduated from SDSU in 1975, but I'm still a S. Dak. kid, and I want the Coyotes to do well in D-II.

I never feel too bad when Minnesota or NDSU lose in any sport, mostly because I've been up to my keester in Gopher and Bison fans for so long.

Others-

Football - I am more a Jackrabbit fan than a football fan.  I will root for Nebraska if I happen to catch them on TV.

MBB - I watch as much of the Big Dance as possible and root for Duke (at least until the Jacks get in the tournament and play them in the first round.  Someday a 16 will  beat a 1.)   8-)  Actually I'll watch just about any college basketball game, men or women, and pick a team to root for - even when I don't care who wins.  College basketball is the best game around IMO.

WBB - Tennessee and Duke
                  Dislike - Connecticut

GO JACKS
        An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
        US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Here's a good article explaining why college football is better than the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/previe...amp;id=2549750

I'm not sure what other peoples opinions on NCAA playoff football compared the NCAA championship football, but I would enjoy a bowl system better than the playoff system for the same fact that they mention in the article, "every game is a playoff".

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell2006
            but I would enjoy a bowl system better than the playoff system for the same fact that they mention in the article, "every game is a playoff".
            Haven't read the article yet so maybe I shouldn't comment, but I can't agree that the bowl system makes every game a playoff game. Think about a team that loses once in the first three weeks of the season, almost impossible to move back up in the rankings to contend. If the same team had the loss in late in the season, they still often make a big bowl game. So when you lose is more important than whether you won or lost. In playoffs, it doesn't happen that way.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell2006
              Here's a good article explaining why college football is better than the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/previe...amp;id=2549750

I'm not sure what other peoples opinions on NCAA playoff football compared the NCAA championship football, but I would enjoy a bowl system better than the playoff system for the same fact that they mention in the article, "every game is a playoff".
              For maybe seven or eight teams every year, that might be true. For everyone else in the Bowl Subdivision, "every game is a playoff" is simply nonsense.

There are way, way, way, way too many bowl games. 32 bowl games mean that 64 of the 120 Bowl Subdivision teams get to play an extra game. Whoopee.

If you're Utah or Louisville or Southern Miss or East Carolina, it really doesn't matter, you're not going to get a shot at a football "championship." Ever. Maybe if you're really lucky, you'll make it to BCS Bowl #5, the Not-Quite-As-Irrelevant-As-The-Pioneer-PureVision-Las-Vegas-Bowl Bowl, but so what?

Back in the day when the Rose Bowl had the Pac-10 and Big 10 champions, the Orange Bowl had the Big 12 champ play Miami every year, the Sugar Bowl had the SEC champion locked up, and most importantly, there wasn't a bowl or two per day for the entire freaking month of December, I used to watch college football bowl games. More and more now however, bowl games are almost completely uninteresting to me, except maybe the "BCS Championship Game". I mean, I'll have them on the TV when nothing better is on, but I don't really care about them.

Ah, nothing feels quite as good as a nice rant.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The bowl system is not a situation where "every game is a playoff". You can have an undefeated season, and not have the opportunity to show that you should be #1. I think that a playoff is going to happen in I-A, the BCS, or whatever you want to call it - it's inevitable. May take a while, and a few more examples of a deserving candidate for #1 not getting their shot, but it will happen. The bowl committees just have too much to lose from a playoff, and too much clout.

The NCAA could do a simple +1, with the #1 playing #4 in a bowl game, and #2 playing #3 in another bowl game, and the two winners meeting. Simple enough, it's a 4-team tournament, and only adds one more game. They could even incorporate the bowls into the championship game - the BCS bowls could take turns being the final game.

But I suspect that The Powers that Be are afraid that this would undermine the whole bowl system. Once you had a 4-team tournament, why not 8 or 16? A four-team tournament doesn't hurt the bowls, but 8 or 16 could. Some of the bottom-tier bowls probably wouldn't survive a tournament. An 8-team tournament would involve 7 games. Take the top seven bowls and turn them into tournament games. I 16 team tournament would involve 15 games. Fine, take the top 15 bowls. The remainder of bowl games could be for the teams that didn't get to go to the tournament.

Once a tournament in I-A happens, people will be asking "why didn't we do this sooner?"

Comment

Call me crazy, but maybe the reason the NCAA is so stuck on hanging on to bowls and so many of them (besides money) is the same reason why they are considering increasing the number of teams in the Basketball Tournament. Coaches and Admins can go to the alumni and say "for the last 5 years, we have appeared in a bowl game. We were ranked #10 in the country. We had 3 losses last year, and if it wasn't for that loss against (fill in team here), we would have been in contention for a BCS appearance. We'll get 'em next year." It sounds good, alumni get to take a trip someplace nice (most of the time), and everyone makes oodles of money.

It sounds a lot better than coaches going to their alumni saying "for the 8th straight year we made the 2nd round of the playoffs." That's usually when people start saying things like, "he's a great coach, but I think we are going to need someone else to take us to the next level." And rankings? Can you remember who finished the NCAA Basketball season ranked #6 last year? A tournament makes rankings irrelevant after a playoff has determined the true champion. One less horn to toot after the season. A playoff might be better for all the fans without a vested interest in one team, but for the die-hard fans, a bowl system is much easier to swallow, whether they realize it or not.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Is it any better to say we made a bowl game when everyone knows it wasn't the BCS Championship game? How many people remember what teams played each other in the non-championship game last year? Any body remember who finished #6, 7, 8, or 9?

If you are BCS team and say we just missed the BCS bowls for the "8th straight year" the die-hard fans will start asking the exact same question. The BCS was set up to be a compromise between the bowl system and playoffs; it is a two-team, single elimination tournament.

According to reports on several Twin Cities media outlets, the Gophers very nearly turned down their bowl game because they have LOST so much money over the past three years going to no-name bowls. The coach got to decide if they went, and he gets a bonus (couple hundred thousand if I remember correctly) if they go to a bowl game. Other than the top five or six bowls, most schools lose money on bowl games. The school gets a guarantee for showing up, but has to guarantee that X number of tickets will be sold, pay travel expenses, sometimes the teams have to pay for marketing the game in their area.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I'd rather win a bowl game and get a sweet trophy and a good recruiting tool, than lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs and get nothing.
                      In DIA every game is a playoff game because even though though you might night get a chance at the championship bowl game, you have a chance to reach the highest bowl that your team can achieve and each loss knocks you down to a lesser bowl or none at all.

Comment

And if you have 3 undefeated, or even worse, what if the year ends with six or seven one lose teams?

Comment

Favorite:
                          South Dakota State
                          Washington Huskies and rest of Pac Ten
                          Air Force

DII - Northern State College  

Dislike:

Big 10

Hate:

Notre Dame
                          Texas
                          Nebraska
                          ND Irish
                          Miami Canes
                          Florida and F State
                          BYU
                          Iowa
                          Michigan
                          Ohio State

Comment

My opinion is that the bowl games suck and I would like to see a 24 team playoff format but it would be nice to hear from some people that have played in bowl games. I'd like to know their thoughts. Someone should ask Wilkinson his opinion. I think he played in a bowl game for Colorado State.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Dakota
                              Favorite:
                              South Dakota State
                              Washington Huskies and rest of Pac Ten
                              Air Force

DII - Northern State College  

Dislike:

Big 10

Hate:

Notre Dame
                              Texas
                              Nebraska
                              ND Irish
                              Miami Canes
                              Florida and F State
                              BYU
                              Iowa
                              Michigan
                              Ohio State
                              Natural to hate a team that takes a National Championship away from your favorite.

Comment

Like:Montana and Wisconsin

Hate:MSU and Minnesota(everything) and Iowa

Comment

Working...
                                X