What Would a Renewed USD - SDSU rivalry be like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Would a Renewed USD - SDSU rivalry be lik

I would welcome usd as opponents if there were to move to Division I.  If played, I would like the games to be in Sioux Falls for football and Basketball for the first few years.  I hopes with this is to raise awareness for SF and its corporate sponsors for both school. Plus and more importantly because it is neutral.  Game management staff with the S. F. Arena and Howard Wood Field could dismiss any unruly fans with no predetermined bias that would be administered by SDSU or usd administration and event staff.  If done correctly, it would be a WIN - WIN for both Universities as long as they (fans) take the high road. Let the taunting, throwing of dead animals etc. stay with the days of the NCC and Division II.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

D-town, CAS and Frost are superior facilities to Howard Wood and the SF Arena. CAS has a higher capacity and Frost is a much nicer facility than the Arena. Plus, the scoreboards at both SF venues suck.

Comment

I think we are starting some pretty good new rivalries as evidence from this years football season and especially tonights win over the Number#4 team in Div IAA. We don't need the meaningless, ugly past to reappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
          I think we are starting some pretty good new rivalries as evidence from this years football season and especially tonights win over the Number#4 team in Div IAA.  We don't need the meaningless, ugly past to reappear.
          Amen Brother Den.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
            D-town, CAS and Frost are superior facilities to Howard Wood and the SF Arena.  CAS has a higher capacity and Frost is a much nicer facility than the Arena. Plus, the scoreboards at both SF venues suck.
            ???? I think you missed my point.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

D-town, unless a SF game would be replacing a trip to Verminville, it's not in the athletic department's best interest to schedule a game against USD in SF.

Case 1: The UC-Davis game at Howard Wood drew 7239, less than the crowds at CAS for Valpo, Cal Poly, and Rolla (Hobo Day). The students are less likely to come down and only MAJOR scheduling conflicts in Brookings (like last year) will lead to another FB game in SF.

Case 2: The highly touted MBB game against Manhatten in the SF Arena barely drew 2000. SF may be OK for a game during the holidays, but not a rivalry game during school.

In addition, SDSU has cracked down on disruptive fans. (If SDSU students want to be mad at UPD, a lot of their need for existence is caused by rowdy students from other schools.) USD needs to get their act together.

D-town, I will compromise with you and say that any SDSU-USD home-and-home agreements have to be Brookings-SF until USD finishes their transition.

Comment

I actually think the rivalry would be good in Mens Basketball.

There are games to be played there, and it would be nice.

In football, like mentioned above, I think we'll be in the Gateway...and we probably won't be able to play. At least the first few years.

The irony in this, is that the USD people were all upset at the State people for this, making fun of them, deriding them ( I know, I got it personally from lots of people) taking huge pride in being "The Best Div II school in the Nation"

And two years later, they are discussing moving up. IRONY

When SDSU AD Oien said that Div II was getting watered-down, the USD answer was "Is not!"

I don't mean disrespect here, either...I have several former students attend USD, and cousins, etc... I just find the whole thing laughable.

Like someone else here posted, USD needs State more than we need them.

Comment

I just don't get why we would go all the way to San Diego to start a rivalry :

Comment

Perhaps we should get the Univ. of San Diego on the football schedule sometime in the future. They probably wouldn't mind boosting their strength of schedule since blowing out all of the I-AA non-schollie teams has to get tiring.......

Plus, the reaction from Verminville would be priceless when we announce we're playing the "other" USD......

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                      Perhaps we should get the Univ. of San Diego on the football schedule sometime in the future. They probably wouldn't mind boosting their strength of schedule since blowing out all of the I-AA non-schollie teams has to get tiring.......

Plus, the reaction from Verminville would be priceless when we announce we're playing the "other" USD......
                      More like were playing THE USD not the other USD, that would raise some eyebrows.  I suspect some Sioux Falls people would show up wearing their Coyote gear not realizing we were playing San Diego, thanks of course to the "crack" reporting by the Argus Staff.

USD-II can come to Brookings any time they would like for an exhibition game, just leave the morons they consider fans in Vermillion. We don't need or condone that kind of activity in Brookings.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It goes both ways with SDSU being a San Diego school as well. If you think USD would be funny try a game of SDSU vs SDSU.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                          It goes both ways with SDSU being a San Diego school as well.  If you think USD would be funny try a game of SDSU vs SDSU.  
                          We already did that. We played San Diego St in mens basketball the last two seasons.
                          Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                          X