Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD (Coyotes) Go D-I

Originally posted by Statebasketballfan
    Logan and Allison probably wouldn't have been recruited in D-I down there....

I'm not going to trash anybody, but there is a very good reason why somebody as talented as Logan ended up at a D-II school in SD.  
    You read my mind State Basketball fan. I will also refrain from stating the obvious here. We all know why this kid ended up at USD.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken Allison couldn't play at the DI level anymore, he used up all of his eligibility. I do know for a fact that he only had two semesters of dii eligibility, he was on the roster in the fall of 05, off in the spring of 06 and back on the roster in the fall of 06, kind of like Tommy King in basketball a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
        Sorry to say this but we WILL NOT play USD until they are a COUNTER team meaning it will be at least 4 years if not more.
        As a DI counter, with USD on the same track as UND, both under WILL NOT BE COUNTERS IN 2008, our first year of play-off eligibility. TO GET TO 7 D-I WINS (out of 11 games, with one being Iowa St.) we can't afford to being playing USD/UND in 08!

'09 will be the first year playing them will count as a D-I counter.

Even though we had a good season this year, we had 3 games against non-DI teams this year, UW-LAX, William Penn, U of CENTRAL ARK.

Next year's game against Central Ark, they would count as a DI win.

Comment

Not sure where this should go, hopefully people find it here.

Great (heavy on the sarcasm) article by Stu this morning.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...612010338/1002

Rivalry needed for our sanity
          Jacks paved way for USD's move

By Stu Whitney

Seated near the stage of the University of South Dakota's classically furbished Farber Hall on Wednesday, a colleague remarked that he half-expected John Wilkes Booth to bound from the balcony and scream something in Latin.

The actual purpose of USD's press conference - to announce the school's intention to play NCAA Division I sports - wasn't quite as dramatic as that. The Coyotes, after all, had few appealing options other than tossing more dirt on the North Central Conference's grave....(Read more at link)

Some of my favorite quotes:

In North Dakota, it became clear that the Bison and Sioux need each other to spark revenue and serve the state's athletic interests. For the same reasons, the Jacks and Coyotes will soon be back in the rivalry business.
          If I remeber correctly, NDSU has no problem filling the Fargo Dome on Saturday's in the fall, and SDSU is working on record average attendance for football as well. And, I've beaten this to death, but one game does not a budget make (at least not for SDSU, might for the U).

It's possible that SDSU and USD could meet in basketball as soon as next season, as long as the Coyotes bite the bullet (isn't it the least they can do?) and travel to Brookings without a home-and-home deal.

Football is more complicated because of SDSU's Division I-AA scheduling commitments. But public demand will dictate that it happens within a few years.

"It's really going to come down to what SDSU decides, because we're sort of stepping over and crowding their space a little bit,"says Meierkort. "But we need to play this game for the people of South Dakota, and for football in this state."
          The public can demand all they want, but when conference titles and playoffs are in the mix it's more important of the quality of opponent rather than the little sister down the road.

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien was lambasted in part because folks perceived that he was tearing apart a cherished rivalry. Well, look people, the Coyotes are patching it up!
          Yes, USD, the great saviors of all that is well and good in the universe.  How much of a pompus ass is this guy. USD patching it up, patching what up. We moved on, they could have followed, now their following, so wasn't it really the U that let the "rivalry" die in the first place?

USD has a good line on the Great West Conference for football and the Mid-Continent for everything else.
          Aerosmith had a great song years back titled "Dream On", very appropriate for this little quote IMO.  Great West, probably, Mid Con - dream on.

"I do appreciate the fact that NDSU and SDSU sort of paved the way for this conference discussion," said USD president Jim Abbott.
          Wow, first words of appreciation for anything.  Coat tails anyone.

Whether anyone has the class to admit Oien was right is a question worth pondering.
          Obviously by writing this Stu is admitting that no one affiliated with the U will publicly admit Fred was right, even Stu himself.

I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Come on, CatchEmAll, in the world of Stu, that was a heaping helping of crow he just ate.

It's OK with me if he needed to add a bit of spice to wash it down.

I really don't think that folks like Stu and others who advocate hard for the renewal of the rivalry really understand just how nasty and unpleasant it had become for SDSU and SDSU's fans towards the end.

People need to start asking around in Vermillion about what happened the last time SDSU teams were in the DakotaDome. Anyone with a lick of sense and decency would be disgusted, and would understand why many in the SDSU community are not eager to renew a "rivalry" like that. I know I was in the play-USD-sooner camp until I found out.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

OK-- tell a dottering old man what happened the last time in Vermillion. As I said, I took little interest in SDSU for about thirty plus years.

My memories from the rivalry--
              1. Rabbits raining from the stands (great)...
              2. People parading out houses around the court with SDSU emblazoned on the sides.
              3. Coyote carcasses being tossed (not heads, the whole carcass)
              4. North Dakota football players following up the back of a Hobo Day parade and pissing off the back of a school bus (don't actually remember seeing this because I was pushing a float but had several people tell me so assume it wasn't just a rural-urban myth).
              5. A USD player coming in for a layup at a game in Brookings and being cold cocked by a pint of whiskey hurled from the stands.

My assumption is all of this just added to the friendly rivalry. Of course this was an era when they brought all of the freshmen together in the old field house, tossed about three or four co-eds into a cage in the middle of the basketball court and hurled decapitated chickens through the bars while the pep band played Old McDonald had a Farm"

What went on in Vermillion? Did someone rape a cheerleader during half time?

Comment

Always figured one of the advantages to USd-SDSU v. UND-NDSU was that the fans COULD legally toss the opposing schools mascot-body on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
                  OK-- tell a dottering old man what happened the last time in Vermillion. As I said, I took little interest in SDSU for about thirty plus years.

2. People parading out houses around the court with SDSU emblazoned on the sides.
                  4. North Dakota football players following up the back of a Hobo Day parade and pissing off the back of a school bus (don't actually remember seeing this because I was pushing a float but had several people tell me so assume it wasn't just a rural-urban myth).
                  5. A USD player coming in for a layup at a game in Brookings and being cold cocked by a pint of whiskey hurled from the stands.

My assumption is all of this just added to the friendly rivalry. Of course this was an era when they brought all of the freshmen together in the old field house, tossed about three or four co-eds into a cage in the middle of the basketball court and hurled decapitated chickens through the bars while the pep band played Old McDonald had a Farm"

Reply in IM. Some things really don't need to be too public.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I am on record saying I could care less if we ever play them again.

But I wonder if the rivalry is truly dead considering we have 83 posts on our board about them going D-I and there are only single digit posts on our football board about the most SDSU players ever making the GWFC all-conference team.

There is no question that SDSU and NDSU were the big snowplows clearing 15 foot drifts in front of UxD's. But they are still going to struggle getting games and they won't get a conference until they get through their transition (just like us).

Let's get back to our teams now!
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
                      OK-- tell a dottering old man what happened the last time in Vermillion.  As I said, I took little interest in SDSU for about thirty plus years.

My assumption is all of this just added to the friendly rivalry.  Of course this was an era when they brought all of the freshmen together in the old field house, tossed about three or four co-eds into a cage in the middle of the basketball court and hurled decapitated chickens through the bars while the pep band played Old McDonald had a Farm"

What went on in Vermillion?  Did someone rape a cheerleader during half time?
                      Yeah Jack fans, what did go on in Vermillion? I was at all these games and I never witnessed anything like what Grizzled Jack sited above. I do remember those days though, classic.

The worst offenses I saw was an old man with a Bugs Bunny doll in a noose and those "Beat State, Not your..." T-Shirts. But hey, we never started that ball rolling by misstepping. If those things offend you, well, I guess you are the type of person that thinks all the kids should get a medal for participating and we shouldn't keep score because someones feelings might get hurt.

I noticed from that list that half those "transgressions" were committed by State people.

This is my personal favorite and you have to admit, funny.

The others were good natured, this is just criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                        [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1164833073/60#73 date=1164943646][quote author=Yote53 link=1164833073/60#69 date=1164925658]I think this is funny.  Look at USD's roster.  Our players have always and are still coming from Iowa, Nebraska, Cali, Fla, Minn, now Wisconsin, and not a whole lot from SD.  Even our last recruiting class was heavy with non-SD's.  It has alot to with location (IA/NE right on the border) and less to do with losing in SD to other schools.  We don't emphasize SD as much.  It is the truth.  We pick up kids all over Iowaand NE who UI, UNL and ISU pass over .

Wes B (IA), Logan (FL), Dez Allison (FL), Shepard (CO),  13 of our 17 OL are from out of state.  The list goes on.

Moving up won't hurt recruiting, it will only help it.
                        Riiiiiight.  That's the reason you don't recruit SD athletes.  It has nothing to do with the fact that USD historically couldn't get them to come down to Vermillion.  It's all a choice.  Kind of like when someone slips on the ice and gets up saying "I meant to do that."  Sure.  It was a sure-fire, problem free recruiting strategy, I'll give you that.  I mean, USD clearly didn't need all those SD athletes that SDSU signed.  Just look at the last 20 years' records of the USD/SDSU game.  Clearly SDSU could learn something USD's recruiting methods.  I mean, when we absolutely dominated the last 10 years of meetings between the schools it was obviously a cry for help to those IA, NE (and don't forget FLORIDA!)athletes that we missed out on to maybe give us one more shot, just ONE MORE SHOT when recruiting.  Typical short sighted response from a USD fan.  I just wonder how you'll get anything done in Vermillion with all the butterflys around and birds chirping and chickens laying golden eggs and the 365 days of sunshine with 80 degree weather and where all the students are the smartest in the nation and all the athletes are the best in the nation and there are no budget problems and of course no problems with Title IX and definitely no problems with finding a conference and SDSU and NDSU will be begging you to play a 5 for 1 (that's 5 at USD and 1 at Sioux Falls with USD getting all the gates at Sioux Falls) deal for football and basketball and there definitely, DEFINITELY won't be a problem with recruiting.  Can someone please clean my rose colored glasses?  I seemed to have sullied them when I sneezed out that "BULL$HIT".
                        [/quote]

Now that, my friends, is a RANT.[/quote]

And a mighty fine one at that!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                          Come on, CatchEmAll, in the world of Stu, that was a heaping helping of crow he just ate.

It's OK with me if he needed to add a bit of spice to wash it down.

I really don't think that folks like Stu and others who advocate hard for the renewal of the rivalry really understand just how nasty and unpleasant it had become for SDSU and SDSU's fans towards the end.

People need to start asking around in Vermillion about what happened the last time SDSU teams were in the DakotaDome.  Anyone with a lick of sense and decency would be disgusted, and would understand why many in the SDSU community are not eager to renew a "rivalry" like that.  I know I was in the play-USD-sooner camp until I found out.
                          Right on, my last experience at the dome is something I'll never forget. I've never met anything close to the disrespectful and mean-spirited fans at any other venue I've ever visited. I hope we never play them again. Ever.

Comment

Start of Rant

Lets play a little game of what if:

What if USD and SDSU eventually got into the same basketball conference and eventually played for the championship in the post season conference tournament?

Those games are typically televised nationally, as in a large portion of college basketball fans actually watch the games to see who will get into the big dance.

Now what if a dead Jackrabbit gets heaved onto the court? And a coyote head. And carrots. And whiskey bottles. And skittles, M&Ms, water bottles, soda bottles, and whatever else idiot fans decide to throw.

What if the whole student section showed up in "Beat State... Not your...." T shirts? How about a close up of President Abbot sitting close to somebody in one of those shirts?

Wouldn't that be great. Just like old times.

Can you imagine what the ESPN/ABC commentators would be saying about South Dakota? What would the rest of the country be thinking?

It would be EMBARRASSING! Embarrassing to the State, to the majority of fans, to the majority of students, to the student athletes, to the universities, to the conference, and to the NCAA.

End of Rant

I don't miss the games one bit.

I'm sure the games will eventually be played again.

My suggestion would be a 3 for 1 contract in basketball beginning in 2010. Hopefully that would be enough time for most people to forget about all the garbage that has happened. If there are ZERO inappropriate incidences causing game stoppage after those 4 games, we can talk about 1 and 1 contracts. If there are incidences causing game stoppage during any game, its a 2 for 1 contract against the host school until the garbage stops.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53
                              [quote author=Grizzled Jack link=1164833073/75#80 date=1164986266]OK-- tell a dottering old man what happened the last time in Vermillion. As I said, I took little interest in SDSU for about thirty plus years.

Yeah Jack fans, what did go on in Vermillion? I was at all these games and I never witnessed anything like what Grizzled Jack sited above. I do remember those days though, classic.

The worst offenses I saw was an old man with a Bugs Bunny doll in a noose and those "Beat State, Not your..." T-Shirts. But hey, we never started that ball rolling by misstepping. If those things offend you, well, I guess you are the type of person that thinks all the kids should get a medal for participating and we shouldn't keep score because someones feelings might get hurt.

I noticed from that list that half those "transgressions" were committed by State people.

This is my personal favorite and you have to admit, funny.

The others were good natured, this is just criminal.

[/quote]

There have been incidents through the years that neither side should be proud of. For every whisky bottle hitting a USD player, there's one sending a SDSU cheerleader to the hospital, etc., etc.

The lengthy list of sorry behavior on both sides is an argument against being in a hurry to renew the rivalry, until such time as it's just not so damned important to people who are inclined to do exceptionally stupid things in the name of their school.

Maybe both schools moving to D-I and playing on a more national stage vs. the regional focus in D-II will eventually lead to a bit less vitriol and a bit more of the sense that both schools are representing South Dakota to the rest of the nation. I know, I'm an optimist and a dreamer . . .

Go Rabbits! Go Yotes!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The harrassment and riducle of Dr Oien, his family matters, his decision to go D1, his narciferous motive of wrecking the NCC are now going to be now money in the bank. I think we have a power position to schedule from. USD can cry all they want, but it helps to be four years down the D1 trail when your in state rival or whatever starts out in the big world of D1. I really wonder how Denny Sanford will figure in the USD's D1 move if he will at all. If too many people start begging him for money, it could backfire.

Comment

Working...
                                X