Future SDSU/USD matchups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future SDSU/USD matchups

[quote author=NightHawk78 link=1164836580/15#27 date=1165427864]Question to ponder: At some point, do you think the Board of Regents and/or the State Legislature will intervene and force SDSU and USD to play each other in football and basketball?
    quote]

Is there any history of that happening anywhere else? It doesn't seem like that's something they should even be able to do. Two schools shouldn't be forced to play each other, unless you are in the same conference of course.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
      [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1164836580/15#27 date=1165427864]Question to ponder: At some point, do you think the Board of Regents and/or the State Legislature will intervene and force SDSU and USD to play each other in football and basketball?
      quote]

Is there any history of that happening anywhere else? It doesn't seem like that's something they should even be able to do. Two schools shouldn't be forced to play each other, unless you are in the same conference of course.
      Yes, Iowa makes the U. of Iowa and Iowa State play Northern Iowa.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is an article from USD's newspaper on the rebirth of the rilvalry:

http://media.www.volanteonline.com/m...epublisher.com

I laughed when I read this part:
        In the three years since SDSU's exodus to Division I waters, the Coyotes have been left to fend for themselves in the kiddie pool.
        I'd have to say USD is the one that left SDSU to fend for themselves in their transition to D-I.  I hope that we return the favor during their transition.  Good luck Yotes!

Comment

The Volante editorial staff just wants a Jackrabbit in its stocking this year.......

They also think there's only one real reason USD went D-1:

So to USD decision-makers: Do what you can to get USD and SDSU back on the field. After all, what other more important reasons could there have been for going D-I?

Comment

quote]

Is there any history of that happening anywhere else?  It doesn't seem like that's something they should even be able to do.  Two schools shouldn't be forced to play each other, unless you are in the same conference of course.
            They are all state institutions, without state support they don't exist. Therefore, the state can decide.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/m...epublisher.com

Kimmes weighs in on the issue........and he really lays down the smack on the 'Yotes.

Our rivals are back. Maybe.

With USD's recent announcement to pursue the move to Division-I athletics, SDSU and USD have an opportunity to renew an old rivalry. But will the schools embrace the possibility? I say SDSU should make minimal, if any, attempt to restore this once-cherished rivalry.

SDSU has little to gain from a renewed rivalry. We have moved on past the Coyotes. For the past three seasons, SDSU athletics has flourished without playing the Coyotes. (read more)

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                Here is an article from USD's newspaper on the rebirth of the rilvalry:

I laughed when I read this part:
                In the three years since SDSU's exodus to Division I waters, the Coyotes have been left to fend for themselves in the kiddie pool.
                I'd have to say USD is the one that left SDSU to fend for themselves in their transition to D-I.  I hope that we return the favor during their transition.  Good luck Yotes!
                I read the article cited above and noted with interest the quotes attributed to Blake Hojer.  He's a good football player.  My recollection is his father played football for SDSU but when he was recruited to USD, I thought he (Blake) stated SDSU's switch to DI was one of the primary reasons he elected to go to USD.  His current point of view is interesting.  [I've wondered what Carda, one of AJ's recruits for the lady Jacks last year who transferred to USD because she didn't like the DI move--too much travel etc.---is thinking about USD's plans.]

I trust the SDSU athletic administration to make the right decision on if and when to play USD in any sport.  Those decisions will have to be made on SDSU's terms since we're nearly through the transition period.

On whether the legislature can or will intervene...I sure hope the legislature keeps its nose out of such matters but I think anything is possible.  In recent years the legislators have demonstrated a remarkable ability to get involved in a few issues each year which seem to baffle a majority of voters. And it isn't just USD-grad legislators: remember, the effort to stop SDSU from moving to DI was pushed by a legislator who is an SDSU grad.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                  [  [I've wondered what Carda, one of AJ's recruits for the lady Jacks last year who transferred to USD because she didn't like the DI move--too much travel etc.---is thinking about USD's plans.]
                  Carda's dad had a quote in the Argus the other day. Something to the effect of saying he thought it was a great opportunity for the USD teams. As I recall Natalie mentioned something about the travel burden when she transferred. Her dad's statement seems contrary to this. Maybe I'm mistaken.

As for Hojer, he went where the scholarship was offered earliest and where he knew he could lead right away.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I read the Volante article while listening to the Jacks Women play Kansas in Phog Allen Fieldhouse. I have to admit I chuckled a little bit reading the comments from the USD student athletes about how they hope to get a shot at SDSU, while our womens basketball team is beating Kansas in one of college basketball's most famous arenas, and our mens team is preparing for the Gophers tommorrow night. My how things have changed in these few short years.  

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      [quote author=JackJD link=1164836580/30#36 date=1165464658][  [I've wondered what Carda, one of AJ's recruits for the lady Jacks last year who transferred to USD because she didn't like the DI move--too much travel etc.---is thinking about USD's plans.]
                      Carda's dad had a quote in the Argus the other day.  Something to the effect of saying he thought it was a great opportunity for the USD teams.  As I recall Natalie mentioned something about the travel burden when she transferred.  Her dad's statement seems contrary to this.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

As for Hojer, he went where the scholarship was offered earliest and where he knew he could lead right away.[/quote]

Natalie better enjoy the next two years, because I don't think she'll like the travel schedule that USD will have her senior year. I feel bad for that athletes that will be here during the first couple of years of transition.

As for Hojer, if I remember right he wanted to come to SDSU, but they didn't offer him a scholarship. He was going to walk on. That's why he makes the comment about wanting to show that they made a recruiting mistake.

Comment

As for Hojer, if I remember right he wanted to come to SDSU, but they didn't offer him a scholarship.  He was going to walk on.  That's why he makes the comment about wanting to show that they made a recruiting mistake.
                        I have heard a couple of different stories on Hojer. Mostly from DeSmet people who know the family. I have never asked a member of our program about him, I trust their decisions. First I heard he might not qualify for a DI scholarship based on academics (i.e. Stegan Logan), I don't believe that. I was told he would have to walk on. The more plausible story is the one juice provides. Later, I understood that after USD offered SDSU did offer some financial assistance, again all just hearsay.

Best of luck to Blake, he seems like a great player and a great kid. I don't dislike him, just the program he plays for.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                          [quote author=JackJD link=1164836580/30#36 date=1165464658][  [I've wondered what Carda, one of AJ's recruits for the lady Jacks last year who transferred to USD because she didn't like the DI move--too much travel etc.---is thinking about USD's plans.]
                          Carda's dad had a quote in the Argus the other day.  Something to the effect of saying he thought it was a great opportunity for the USD teams.  As I recall Natalie mentioned something about the travel burden when she transferred.  Her dad's statement seems contrary to this.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

As for Hojer, he went where the scholarship was offered earliest and where he knew he could lead right away.[/quote]

I read this article as well and when it came to the quote by Carda's father I cringed and said to myself that this won't be good. I was, however, suprised at the positive response since her stated reason for leaving SDSU was the travel of D1 and she wanted to focus on academics. It got me thinking that maybe that stated reason for leaving SDSU was just a cover to give. Maybe she just didn't feel comfortable at SDSU. Maybe she got to USD and really liked it and, even though we are now going to be in D1 road purgatory, she is willing to put up with it to be someplace she likes. Who knows, as long as she is happy that should be all that matters.

Comment

As for Hojer, if I remember right he wanted to come to SDSU, but they didn't offer him a scholarship.  He was going to walk on.  That's why he makes the comment about wanting to show that they made a recruiting mistake.
                            Also knowing people from De Smet it is correct that Blake Hojer wanted to come to SDSU but we didn't offer him a scholarship. His dad did play for us as well. His offer from SDSU was he could come and walk-on and if he made the two-deep roster he would receive any money we had left. People may wonder why we didn't offer him a scholarship consideirng he was the captain of the Elite 45 team when he was a senior. From what I could gather at the time from SDSU was that we were already full of linebackers at that time and Blake's 40-yard time was not what we were looking for in D-I talent.

I agree I feel our coaches made the right decision for them at the time. As a coach I'm sure it is very hard to tell guys like Blake Hojer no. The bottom line is that our programs can't accept every guy or girl that shows interest in our program although I understand Blake was more then just "some guy."

Comment

On Hojer:  I remember seeing a story in the Watertown paper in which he commented negatively on SDSU's move to DI.

While it appears he's a good football player, I wouldn't trade anyone on State's linebacking corp for him.  We have some horses coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                                On Hojer:  I remember seeing a story in the Watertown paper in which he commented negatively on SDSU's move to DI.

While it appears he's a good football player, I wouldn't trade anyone on State's linebacking corp for him.  We have some horses coming up.
                                Agreed
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X