Future SDSU/USD matchups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future SDSU/USD matchups

First of all, USD was not refusing to play SDSU. They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home. I can understand why SDSU didn't want that, just as I'm sure you guys are smart enough to realize why USD wouldn't agree to anything else. To put that all on USD is just ridiculous. If State was that hard up for games they should have agreed to a home and home with USD.
    Second of all, you can talk up the great teams you've played in DI all you want and how those games mean so much more to you than a USD game would, but I'm not buying it. I'm talking basketball here by the way. If you think USD wouldn't be the biggest draw for you next year then you are fooling yourself. I can't wait until the schools play again, and then I will see just how over that rivarly everyone is.
    I'm sorry if anyone got their feelings hurt in the rivalry with USD, it sounds like many of you did. That's the way rivals normally are. Just by seeing how much you guys talk about USD, how much USD talks about SDSU, and how much NDSU talks about UND it's clear who everyone's true rivals are.
    I can try to talk about how great our rivalry with Augie was, and how much respect was shown between the two schools, but we all know that would be ridiculous.
    I doubt if you went on Ohio St. or Michigan chat boards you would see them telling the other one how great they are all the time and kissing the other schools a$$. Michigan and Ohio St. would be talking the same way USD and SDSU talk to each other.
    If the rivarly does resume, I'm sure many of you on this board will be lining up for tickets, as will I.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
      First of all, USD was not refusing to play SDSU.  They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home.  I can understand why SDSU didn't want that, just as I'm sure you guys are smart enough to realize why USD wouldn't agree to anything else.  To put that all on USD is just ridiculous.  If State was that hard up for games they should have agreed to a home and home with USD.
      Second of all, you can talk up the great teams you've played in DI all you want and how those games mean so much more to you than a USD game would, but I'm not buying it.  I'm talking basketball here by the way.  If you think USD wouldn't be the biggest draw for you next year then you are fooling yourself.  I can't wait until the schools play again, and then I will see just how over that rivarly everyone is.
      I'm sorry if anyone got their feelings hurt in the rivalry with USD, it sounds like many of you did.  That's the way rivals normally are.  Just by seeing how much you guys talk about USD, how much USD talks about SDSU, and how much NDSU talks about UND it's clear who everyone's true rivals are.
      I can try to talk about how great our rivalry with Augie was, and how much respect was shown between the two schools, but we all know that would be ridiculous.
      I doubt if you went on Ohio St. or Michigan chat boards you would see them telling the other one how great they are all the time and kissing the other schools a$$.  Michigan and Ohio St. would be talking the same way USD and SDSU talk to each other.
      If the rivarly does resume, I'm sure many of you on this board will be lining up for tickets, as will I.
      Doesn't usd2 have their own board. My bad, I forgot, nobody uses it.

Comment

Well juice, first of all...when we made the jump those contracts that exsisted for centuries became null and void.  Considering we as the higher division do not go on the road to play lower divsion teams, (you will find that out soon enough,) also dont kid yourself that the USD game made SDSU all that much money.  Remember one game doesnt pay the bills (again the "U" will find this out very soon).

When you get out of your exploritory period SDSU's administration will probably look at that game again but don't hold your breath thinking it will be in the next couple of years.

SDSU proved they dont need USD, has USD done the same?

Juice, USD is like those little Amareto creamers at the coffee stand...you want to try them but after you did you realized that it didnt make your coffee taste any better so you either dump it out or try to cover it with French Vanilla (either way you realize you just didnt need it in the first place).

Once you figure this out maybe you will just stay on the Yote board and stop trying to stir-up things over here.  Your not going to find any recognition over here so quite trying...some times its just better when the puppy stays on the porch until hes big enough to play tug-of-war with the big dogs.

Comment

First of all, USD was not refusing to play SDSU. They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home.
          Yeah... um... NCAA rules don't allow a DI school to play at a DII school. So if USD officials were insisting on a home and home, they were either too stupid to know the rules or they really didn't want to play SDSU. Maybe you should bone up on those NCAA regs and let somebody in Vermillion know before USD schedules a 2008 home and home with Upper Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_jack
            [quote author=juice link=1164836580/15#15 date=1165385309]First of all, USD was not refusing to play SDSU.  They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home.  
            Yeah... um... NCAA rules don't allow a DI school to play at a DII school. So if USD officials were insisting on a home and home, they were either too stupid to know the rules or they really didn't want to play SDSU. Maybe you should bone up on those NCAA regs and let somebody in Vermillion know before USD schedules a 2008 home and home with Upper Iowa.[/quote]

Maybe somebody should tell Kansas that. I seem to remember them playing at UND several years ago. Or maybe somebody should have explained that rule to your administration, as I know your women played at Northern State during your first year of DI. Are you saying you know the rules better than your administration. You could make exceptions for Northern but you couldn't for USD? Give me a break.
            Maybe it's you who needs to bone up on the rules buddy.

Comment

If I am not mistaken:

Kansas played an EXHIBITION game at UND to let Jeff Boschee play in front of his home crowd.

We played at Northern in our transition year in which we were still playing a D-II schedule.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

[quote author=dr_jack link=1164836580/15#18 date=1165410465][quote author=juice link=1164836580/15#15 date=1165385309]First of all, USD was not refusing to play SDSU.  They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home.  
                Yeah... um... NCAA rules don't allow a DI school to play at a DII school. So if USD officials were insisting on a home and home, they were either too stupid to know the rules or they really didn't want to play SDSU. Maybe you should bone up on those NCAA regs and let somebody in Vermillion know before USD schedules a 2008 home and home with Upper Iowa.[/quote]

Maybe somebody should tell Kansas that.  I seem to remember them playing at UND several years ago.  Or maybe somebody should have explained that rule to your administration, as I know your women played at Northern State during your first year of DI.  Are you saying you know the rules better than your administration.  You could make exceptions for Northern but you couldn't for USD?  Give me a break.  
                [/quote]

Kansas came to Grand Forks for one reason and that was one of their top players was Bouchee from Minot ND? not sure, but this arrangement hardly is equatable with anything that SDSU-USD now are faced with currently. Some one in Vermillion needs to study up on several rules as was suggested by Dr Jack. Also these same people should be educating people like Juice so he does not go around spouting ignorance and making ignorant comparisons. Is Kansas coming to USD or UND this year? I think Juice can answer that question by looking at current schedules for both schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                  [quote author=juice link=1164836580/15#19 date=1165412501][quote author=dr_jack link=1164836580/15#18 date=1165410465][quote author=juice link=1164836580/15#15 date=1165385309]First of all, USD was not refusing to play SDSU. They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home.

Maybe somebody should tell Kansas that. I seem to remember them playing at UND several years ago. Or maybe somebody should have explained that rule to your administration, as I know your women played at Northern State during your first year of DI. Are you saying you know the rules better than your administration. You could make exceptions for Northern but you couldn't for USD? Give me a break.
                  [/quote]

Kansas came to Grand Forks for one reason and that was one of their top players was Bouchee from Minot ND? not sure, but this arrangement hardly is equatable with anything that SDSU-USD now are faced with currently. Some one in Vermillion needs to study up on several rules as was suggested by Dr Jack. Also these same people should be educating people like Juice so he does not go around spouting ignorance and making ignorant comparisons. Is Kansas coming to USD or UND this year? I think Juice can answer that question by looking at current schedules for both schools.
                  [/quote]
                  Actually, the NCAA bylaws don't categorically rule out a visit by D-I to D-II. They just make it very unlikely . . . D-I has a requirement to play a minimum 1/3 of all games in the D-I school's home arena. Also, every away game is money you're leaving on the table, unless you get a return visit or a guarantee. D-II schools can't pay the kind of guarantees that D-I schools can.

And there's always a D-II school who will come into your place as a D-I school for a guarantee game, so the incentive for traveling to a D-II school's place is drastically, amazingly, minutely small. It just doesn't make financial sense, no matter how you look at it. That's not rivalry talk, that's just how the money talks.

Now, traveling to a D-II in transition to D-I is another matter . . . witness the D-I teams we've had and will have coming into Frost.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                    [quote author=juice link=1164836580/15#19 date=1165412501][quote author=dr_jack link=1164836580/15#18 date=1165410465][quote author=juice link=1164836580/15#15 date=1165385309]First of all, USD was not refusing to play SDSU.  They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home.  

Maybe somebody should tell Kansas that.  I seem to remember them playing at UND several years ago.  Or maybe somebody should have explained that rule to your administration, as I know your women played at Northern State during your first year of DI.  Are you saying you know the rules better than your administration.  You could make exceptions for Northern but you couldn't for USD?  Give me a break.  
                    [/quote]

[/quote]

I wasn't saying that Kansas was going to be coming to USD, I was just making the point that DI schools are allowed to play at a DII school, which Filbert confirmed below. Apparantly I'm not the one who needs to study up on the rules. We can argue all day about whether it would have made financial sense for SDSU to do it. The USD game would have been your biggest draw in basketball during those years, but you would have been passing up a pay day from another school by playing at USD. We could go back and forth, but that's not my point. My point was a DI school can play at a DII school and I was told I was stupid for thinking that and that I need to brush up on the rules. Granted, that was only a few on this board, I'm pretty sure most of you already knew a DI could play at a DII, but that it's rare for it to ever happen.

Just so you know there were talks with SDSU about a deal to only play in Brookings, without a return game in Vermillion. SDSU was unwilling to pay USD the standard rate for what a DI team normally pays a DII team to come play them. If you want to be treated like a DI team by not signing a home and home with a DII team, then you are going to have to pay like a DI team.
                    Bottom line is both sides were stubborn. Of course USD fans are going to feel SDSU was to blame for the games not being played and we will try not to see it from SDSU's perspective and vice versa. This is an SDSU board, so obviously everyone will feel that USD was the lone one to blame.
                    I think both schools and the State as a whole would benefit from everyone putting the hard feelings aside and resuming the rivalry. I'm sure some of the former athletes on this forum will tell you there was no game they got more up for. The fans are obviously passionate about it as well. It would be a shame if the two DI schools in the State didn't ever play each other, especially one's with the history of State v. U.

Comment

They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home.
                      So, do you think USD will be agreeing to any of these contracts with D-2 teams from now on?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                        [quote author=juice link=1164836580/15#15 date=1165385309]
                        They just wanted the same contract that had existed for about a century, a home and home.
                        So, do you think USD will be agreeing to any of these contracts with D-2 teams from now on?[/quote]

That's a good question. There is nobody else that we have the same history with as SDSU. I would have to think that we would give some consideration to Augie. I guess it depends on how hard up for games we will be. I would think that we will be pretty hard up and a home and home with Augie might be an option at first. It might also depend on how much we could pay them for only coming to Vermillion. I hope we can figure out a way to continue to play Augie as I would much rather see that game than a lot of the DI teams that we will have to schedule during our transition.

Comment

I voted for '08/'09 not because I want the game, but because I think it will happen.

The fact is, most hard core Jacks fans don't care a rip right now about playing USD. Maybe the casual fan does. I'm sure impartials want it as well as all yote fans. They think the Men's team is ripe for the picking, that their FB is better and don't care much about getting beat to the Women's team.

It will happen because most of SD wants it to happen. However, SDSU is not going to be quick to sign a home and home before USD is fully DI. We took our knocks, they will have to take theirs. I forsee a Men's/Women's B-ball game in two years at SDSU, maybe a home, home away. For FB it depends on the Gateway. If in the Gateway they will have no room for USD for at least 3-4 years. If still in the Great West and especially if USD goes to the Great West it would obviously happen sooner and be a normal conference schedule.

The thing that surprises me most is all the articles in the Argus, even in non-sports sections about restarting the rivalry. It's obvious that SD and USD needs the rivalry, but SDSU doesn't.

Comment

Question to ponder: At some point, do you think the Board of Regents and/or the State Legislature will intervene and force SDSU and USD to play each other in football and basketball?

IMO, I don't see the Regents doing anything, but some legislators might try, particularly those from the southeast tip of the state who will claim that "the vast majority of South Dakotans want to see SDSU and USD play."

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see some legislators talk about doing something. If you'll remember a couple of years ago, Sen. Kloucek talked about introducing legislation to try to stop SDSU from going D-I. That obviously didn't go anywhere.

Comment

Maybe, if they get impatient. I think the masses will understand that it may take a few years...

It would be sad however if they spend our tax dollars and their valuable time on that versus "real" issues of the state....

Comment

Working...
                                X