USD's expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD's expectations

USD has said nothing other than they will seek membership into the MidCon and Great West.
    I was just reading Mick's blog where a USD person commented that they heard they were getting in to the Mid-Con right away w/ SDSU. Mick shot him down, but I think many SDSU people get the feeling from the USD people that this is truly what they believe
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

filbert (or someone else who's savy enough) may need to send USD some info on the Mid-Con (like list of schools, sponsored sports, etc). From what I've heard they have done no research for this move, basically flying by the seat of their pants. The comments earlier about USD NOT having a DI manual are correct (confirmed by a reliable source). Not only are they following SDSU, it seems as though they're hoping they can just take SDSU's hard work and put it to use. Ain't gonna happen.

It's great that they have high expectations for the move. I think there's a quote somewhere about failure to succeed comes from failure to prepare, and it's obvious that the preparation has not been there. I'm not saying SDSU has succeeded 100% to this point (I don't think anyone ever does), but at least SDSU's leadership prepared for this move before making it official, and had realistic expecations (i.e. conference affiliation may not come for many, many years). We've been fortunate to have good leadership and a conference that recognizes that.

Good luck Yotes (no really, they're gonna need it).
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
        filbert (or someone else who's savy enough) may need to send USD some info on the Mid-Con (like list of schools, sponsored sports, etc).  From what I've heard they have done no research for this move, basically flying by the seat of their pants.  The comments earlier about USD NOT having a DI manual are correct (confirmed by a reliable source).  Not only are they following SDSU, it seems as though they're hoping they can just take SDSU's hard work and put it to use. Ain't gonna happen.

It's great that they have high expectations for the move. I think there's a quote somewhere about failure to succeed comes from failure to prepare, and it's obvious that the preparation has not been there. I'm not saying SDSU has succeeded 100% to this point (I don't think anyone ever does), but at least SDSU's leadership prepared for this move before making it official, and had realistic expecations (i.e. conference affiliation may not come for many, many years).  We've been fortunate to have good leadership and a conference that recognizes that.

Wow. That's all I can say if USD really jumped head first into the pool without even checking if it was water, let alone how deep. Takes stones to do that. Not necessarily smarts, but stones. They are going to need luck on this.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
          filbert (or someone else who's savy enough) may need to send USD some info on the Mid-Con (like list of schools, sponsored sports, etc). From what I've heard they have done no research for this move, basically flying by the seat of their pants. The comments earlier about USD NOT having a DI manual are correct (confirmed by a reliable source). Not only are they following SDSU, it seems as though they're hoping they can just take SDSU's hard work and put it to use. Ain't gonna happen.

It's great that they have high expectations for the move. I think there's a quote somewhere about failure to succeed comes from failure to prepare, and it's obvious that the preparation has not been there. I'm not saying SDSU has succeeded 100% to this point (I don't think anyone ever does), but at least SDSU's leadership prepared for this move before making it official, and had realistic expecations (i.e. conference affiliation may not come for many, many years). We've been fortunate to have good leadership and a conference that recognizes that.

Deep Thoughts from filbert:

The interesting thing about life (a lesson well taught by athletics) is: If you're ahead of events, you're probably winning. Most successful teams force the other team to react to what they're doing. Interestingly, the Colorado women's BB coach said that the past few games, the Buffaloes were being forced to play the style their opponents wanted to play--and we saw the result, the Buffs got blown out. If you're reacting to events, you're probably losing.

It's not easy to get ahead of events, but the upside of doing so is great. The upside of reacting to events . . . not so much.

USD appears to me to be very much reacting to events rather than getting ahead of them. They have a bigger challenge ahead of them than SDSU did, IMHO, because of that.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Dear Jackrabbit Fans,

How easily you forget that USD is "The Harvard of the Plains."

They will be fine!  Conferences will get in line for the chance to get an interview with the administration and beg USD to become a member of their conference!  How could any conference not do everything in it's power to land USD as a member.  It would be a huge feather in the cap of any conference commissioner!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, I typed all of that without erupting in laughter but I couldn't take it anymore!

Instead of a "cakewalk", USD will be eating "humble pie" for many years to come!

As I've always said, I wish USD the best of luck because it is important for South Dakota to have them as a succesful institution. I still haven't really seen a plan but I am sure (hope) that there is one.

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

USD's expectation is to be like SDSU. We all know that. Were they "like" SDSU before we moved to DI, not really. We'll they be like SDSU now that they are calling themselves DI? Not really. There is one university in South Dakota which is the largest and the best. Pretend as they may, facts are facts.

SDSU will never aspire to be USD, at least I hope not and Brookings will never aspire to be Vermillion. The opposite is true. Read my tag line, its been my mantra since we declared the move up.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53
                You misinterpret.  My post regarding Title IX was about what was going on nationally in college athletics.  The "not include football" idea was not something I came up with, but is something I heard Bobby Bowden talking about.  I was not discussing USD athletics at all.  OK, so USD cut baseball.  Well, I believe it was Stanford that cut their national championship winning men's swimming program, you wanna throw some barbs their way?  How about a few shots at FSU, they must be having problems funding women's sports based on the statements Bowden made.  How about the countless schools that have dropped wrestling and other sports from D1 all the way down the line.  I guess any D1 school that drops a men's sport should not be in D1 because they obviously can't afford it.

Please stop referring to schools like FSU and SEC programs when discussing USD. It really, really hurts any shred of credibility you might hope to obtain here. You are a USD fan for crying out loud, one small step from the NSIC.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                X