Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tim Miles

Originally posted by juice
    I'm sure this isn't the first time you guys have heard this, but Andy Katz of ESPN is saying that the Minnesota Gophers would be wise to hire Tim Miles.  When I heard that other schools were looking at him last year I didn't think much about it.  In fact I kind of hoped he stayed at NDSU as I wanted to see the former NCC schools do as well as possible.  But now that USD is going DI I really hope the Gophers do hire Miles.  He has a great thing going at NDSU and they are only going to get better.  It would certainly be to USD's advantage to have Miles out of there once we make the jump.  I'm interested to hear what the thoughts of State fans are on this topic.  I'm sure many of you wouldn't want to admit that you would hope to gain an advantage on NDSU by seeing their coach leave for another school, but you are competing against them as will USD in a couple of years.
    NDSU has never been known for their men's basketball, but Miles is changing that.  That is only going to make things tougher on the SD schools when it comes to recruiting.  I really respect the job he's done and I hope the Gophers (or somebody) hire him and I hope he takes it.
    Juicy Juice...is there a link to an article somewhere that explains this view of Andy Katz? Or can anyone comfirm this?

Comment

Here's a nightmare scenario for you... Miles goes to U of M and the new head coach for NDSU is Dave Joerger of the Dakota Wizards.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Then you know that Joerger will only stay for 2 years though - the guy seems to jump all over, although he does get results wherever he is.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
          [quote author=tcbison link=1165383099/0#12 date=1165427650][quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1165383099/0#7 date=1165419044]All Smack aside, I can't imagine U of Minn not hiring Miles.  He is as hot as they get right now and is THE up and coming coach thanks to 2 big wins over national powers.  Aside from taking a George Mason to the Final Four, he's doing the one thing coaches need to do to get bigger jobs.  Also, Miles is winning with a lineup made primarily of Minn and Wis kids and not a bunch of juco transfers.  If Minn hires Miles they hire an up and comer who has shown the ability to build a D1 program from the ground up.  On the other hand, if Miles decides to stay (assuming he's offered the job) he is essentially resigning himself to being at NDSU for the remainder of his coaching career.  He's not going to get any hotter than he is right now.  If he truly wants to move forward in his coaching career, he has to take the Minn job if it's offered and I'm sure anyone in his position would do the same.
          I would say IF NDSU makes the NCAA tournament in 2008-09 he would be much hotter than he is right now.

The Gophers thought they had an up and coming coach when they got Monson from Gonzaga. They might not want to go the mid-major route again.  I think if Flip Saunders, Majerus, Bobby Knight don't want the job then Miles has a chance.[/quote]

Flip Saunders has got to be making major ching with the Detroit Pistons and Bobby Knight is coaching at a university that has a very good friend at AD and has hired his son as Assistant AD.  Just can't imagine either of them going to the Gophers.  Majerus, who knows but he has a ton of baggage (pun intended) that he brings with and you have to question his commitment long term.

There may be other coaches out there that are out of work but Miles would be a likely choice from the candidates floated here.

SUPERBUNNY
          [/quote]

Majerus turned down the Badgers job a couple years ago essentially saying he's tired of coaching. I would be very surprised if he even considers the job, let alone takes it (if offered). Saunders hasn't coached in college since I was in high school, if at all. He's not going to take a pay cut and coach the Gophs. As stated above, Bobby Knight is firmly entrenched at Tech. I don't think the Gophs could match his salary, let alone the comfort level he feels in Tech (where the LOVE him).

I'm not saying Miles is the Goph's first choice because only the Gophs know that. I am saying that Miles would be crazy to turn down the job if offered. Someone made a comment that he would be hotter if he took a team to the big dance. Well, that's true, but a huge if. The odds of that happening are below average at best and at least 2 years down the road. Right now he is one of the hottest, if not THE hottest coach out there. That's how coaches cash in. He should cash in and would be silly not to. If he turns down the job, if offered, he's committed himself to NDSU for the long term.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

If offered the conversation with his wife won't be long. Minneapolis is a lot closer to Aberdeen/Doland than Wilmington, NC. Others in the mix.....Rob Jeter (although they suck this year), Todd Licklighter, Steve Lavin and Kevin O'Neil. Again if they offer the job to Miles he has 1,000,000 reasons to take the position.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
              If offered the conversation with his wife won't be long.  Minneapolis is a lot closer to Aberdeen/Doland than Wilmington, NC.  Others in the mix.....Rob Jeter (although they suck this year), Todd Licklighter, Steve Lavin and Kevin O'Neil.  Again if they offer the job to Miles he has 1,000,000 reasons to take the position.
              Hey Caddie. Not sure if Rob Jeter is really in the mix. He had his contract re-worked after last year and saw a significant increase in pay. For him to pick up stakes at this point would probably do some serious damage to his credibility. Plus, they do suck this year. He won last year with Bruce Pearl's players. He's losing this year with alot of his players. Just my opinion. Good to see you still lurking on the ol' SDSU site now and then, Caddie. Rosey off to a 2-0 start. I get to see them in person over the New Years. Interested to see your boy and what he can do.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                Not sure if Rob Jeter is really in the mix.  He had his contract re-worked after last year and saw a significant increase in pay.  For him to pick up stakes at this point would probably do some serious damage to his credibility.  Plus, they do suck this year.  He won last year with Bruce Pearl's players.  He's losing this year with alot of his players.  Just my opinion.
                UWM had an abudance of Seniors last year and actually half of those seniors were products of Coach Jeter when he was the Recruiting Coordinator for Bo Ryan their last year at UWM. And their are still players from Bruce Pearl's years still on the roster. (Just trying to lend my support to Jeter MJA)

But as far as Miles being offered the position. That is a pretty big step from ND State to Minnesota and the Big 10. I think he needs to take one more step up the ladder and be successful before he offered a position at a big time conference program.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU
                  [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1165383099/15#20 date=1166128448]
                  Not sure if Rob Jeter is really in the mix.  He had his contract re-worked after last year and saw a significant increase in pay.  For him to pick up stakes at this point would probably do some serious damage to his credibility.  Plus, they do suck this year.  He won last year with Bruce Pearl's players.  He's losing this year with alot of his players.  Just my opinion.
                  UWM had an abudance of Seniors last year and actually half of those seniors were products of Coach Jeter when he was the Recruiting Coordinator for Bo Ryan their last year at UWM.  And their are still players from Bruce Pearl's years still on the roster. (Just trying to lend my support to Jeter MJA)

But as far as Miles being offered the position.  That is a pretty big step from ND State to Minnesota and the Big 10.  I think he needs to take one more step up the ladder and be successful before he offered a position at a big time conference program.
                  [/quote]

Wasn't meaning to rip on Jeter. I think he's a great coach and think he'll get UWM back to one of the better teams in the Horizon once he can get his players in there. I was just saying that with UWM's large investment in him after last year's season, I wouldn't think he would suddenly decide to leave for Minn.

Comment

Working...
                  X