Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be grateful for Steve Imming

Originally posted by goon
    This is a touch off the topic, but does WNAX broadcast over the whole state?  It seems USD has several stations broadcasting games all over.  Also where is that deal with kelo for for getting some of our sports on TV?  They still working on  a contract?
    WNAX has a much stronger signal and can be heard from Rapid City (sometimes you have to get in the right place to get a strong signal), to North Dakota, to Minneapolis, and to down in Omaha. We are MUCH better served by WNAX -- in fact, just really fortunate to have them. We "dropped" them as said in an earlier post...because nobody could come up with the money at the time (I was very close to the conversations on that.) When we got the money lined up, we got them back, because USD couldn't afford it.

And while it would be nice to have more airtime, etc., it all costs money and we have a zillion people who all want more of something...so there are priorities....and priorities. We've got WNAX, we've got their FM station added to our Brookings station now for the women's basketball broadcasts...and we're just plain lucky to be in the position we are in regarding radio broadcasts. (Norm Hilson and I were great friends...he was a great guy...and Steve Imming is a great guy...so we're double lucky there too!)

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
      And while it would be nice to have more airtime, etc., it all costs money and we have a zillion people who all want more of something...so there are priorities....and priorities. We've got WNAX, we've got their FM station added to our Brookings station now for the women's basketball broadcasts...and we're just plain lucky to be in the position we are in regarding radio broadcasts. (Norm Hilson and I were great friends...he was a great guy...and Steve Imming is a great guy...so we're double lucky there too!)
      Perfectly stated. I use to listen to the Jacks on WNAX over the airways in Rochester, MN. Adding the FM station for the women's broadcasts is great for me here in Yankton.

The local station that covers USD is sometimes hard to get even in Yankton in the evening. Hence, the reason they are on several different stations.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
        [quote author=goon link=1171159665/0#14 date=1171339547]This is a touch off the topic, but does WNAX broadcast over the whole state?  It seems USD has several stations broadcasting games all over.  Also where is that deal with kelo for for getting some of our sports on TV?  They still working on  a contract?
        WNAX has a much stronger signal and can be heard from Rapid City (sometimes you have to get in the right place to get a strong signal), to North Dakota, to Minneapolis, and to down in Omaha. We are MUCH better served by WNAX -- in fact, just really fortunate to have them. We "dropped" them as said in an earlier post...because nobody could come up with the money at the time (I was very close to the conversations on that.) When we got the money lined up, we got them back, because USD couldn't afford it.

And while it would be nice to have more airtime, etc., it all costs money and we have a zillion people who all want more of something...so there are priorities....and priorities. We've got WNAX, we've got their FM station added to our Brookings station now for the women's basketball broadcasts...and we're just plain lucky to be in the position we are in regarding radio broadcasts. (Norm Hilson and I were great friends...he was a great guy...and Steve Imming is a great guy...so we're double lucky there too!)[/quote]

Heck, I can get WNAX in Sturgis but almost always listen in on the internet b/c I'd rather sit in my house than out in my car...

Comment

I've picked up a good WNAX signal from Wall all the way to the Twin Cities. However, that does not mean SDSU should not look at working with WNAX on adding more affiliates to the network. Picking up more stations opens up more sponsorship possibilities, and other connections to more areas.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I am very greatful for the large coverage area of WNAX.  I live an hour from Fargo and I can usually get them on the radio just about anywhere in the house or in my truck.   WDAY in Fargo which broadcasts NDSU games doesn't reach over here at night.  I've listened to the WNAX post game show in the BSA parking lot more than once.  

I liked Norm and I like Steve - both very good at their jobs.  I remember one night Norm sang the national anthem at a game.  Perhaps with letters and e-mails of encouragement from the members of this forum, Steve could be persuaded to do the same.

GO JACKRABBITS
            An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
            US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Steve is an amazing play-by-play annoncer!

At the D-1, I believe all of the schools have the live stats that we can access through www.gojacks.com and bring a laptop and hook in to have the stats in front of them.

At the D-2 level, Steve had to do it all himself and never missed a beat. Hard to imagine how hard that would be but he did it effortlessly!

We are very lucky to have him doing football and basketball! Scotty Kwas also does an outstanding job!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Let's not also forget both Steve and Scotty do their games alone, doing both the play-by-play and color commentary. You don't often see that done well and both of these guys are good at it. Keep up the good work!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                  Let's not also forget both Steve and Scotty do their games alone, doing both the play-by-play and color commentary.  You don't often see that done well and both of these guys are good at it.  Keep up the good work!!!
                  Thanks BTown, I meant to throw it in there but forgot to! That was kind of my whole point for the post!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                    I've picked up a good WNAX signal from Wall all the way to the Twin Cities. However, that does not mean SDSU should not look at working with WNAX  on adding more affiliates to the network. Picking up more stations opens up more sponsorship possibilities, and other connections to more areas.
                    Actually, the affiliate process doesn't work that way, or that well. We are lucky to have the station with the strongest signal in the Great Plains area, so affiliates aren't as necessary. The schools (like USD) that go the affiliate direction, do it out of necessity because they can't get very good coverage with anyone station. Mostly they have to turn to FM stations, which have weak signals. So consider us lucky, and consider the fact that far-flung fans can listen via computer, and we're in good shape.

The future will be even more exciting, as visual broadcasts of our games will likely someday be available on pay-per-view around the country!!

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                      You aren't really looking to be taken serious here, are you?  This is just too perfect that this comment would come from the most arrogant guy on this site.

As for Kevin Culhane I wouldn't say he's arrogant, but I would say he's a big time homer.  It can be tough to listen to a game, because you don't really know whether you are getting screwed or not.  He acts like every call is so darn bad you just don't know if you should really be upset or not. He also will sometimes get so into the game that he doesn't do a good job of letting the listener know exactly what's going on. I could see where opposing fans would really hate him.

The younger Culhane, Jeff, has a pretty good sports talk show on 1570.  I don't know if many of you ever listen to that, but I think you would find that much better than Kevin Culhane's play by play of games.  He has a good interview with Stig the other day talking about State's recruiting class.

Some Spencer guy and I think Jeff were doing the announcing on the web cast the other night.  I don't know if they always do it, but they were bad.  It was kind of funny.  Even though the announcing was bad, it was very nice getting to see the game, being that I wasn't able to make it.  I wish they were able to do that for road games as well.
                      I was listening to Culhane today and he was talking about Kardoes playing for Augie. He said it won't mean much to USD or other NCC teams because the NCC is essentially equal to the GWFC and IAA football. Thats not arrogant? USD was pretty easily handled by a Central Arkansas team that we dominated. So, Culhane is either arrogant, naive, or both when it comes to this issue and I contend most other issues as they pertain to USD. He also made it seem like it was a bad idea for an "often-injured" Andy Kardoes. Culhane is what he is and thats a fact.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

There is probably a fine line between arrogance and stupidity. He may be the latter.

Comment

I was at work, kind of listening to Jeff Culhane's show and also heard his comment on the parity between the NCC and the GWFC and DIAA. At first I couldn't beleive what I just heard and kind of forgot about it till I read jackmd's post. This station is so self-centered on USD athletics that they just don't seem to get it that USD isn't always going to be the best, correct in all their decisions, or the high and mighty that they make them out to be. Hopefully a little reality will set in on them when they begin to make the move...

Comment

I think the Culhane's do a great service for USD and I like the sports programming on their station. I think they would admit that they are HUGE USD supporters like most of us here are HUGE SDSU supporters. To think they don't have a slanted view of what is in store for USD is just plain foolish. I wouldn't trade what we have for what they have, its different and thats okay. I think Steve and Scotty suit SDSU just fine and the Culhane's are just perfect for USD.

Comment

Jackmd, you might be right that each station is a good fit for the different schools. Part of my problem may be that I have lived within 25 miles of Vermillion my entire life except for my years @ SDSU. Don't know why, but I have been a State fan since I was real young. Listening to all the talk from USD may just be getting to me. Kind of like getting sick after eating too much of your favorite food, you just can't stand it anymore after that...Maybe I have heard too much USD information (and I use the word "information" lightly!)

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                                [quote author=juice link=1171159665/0#10 date=1171256320]
                                You aren't really looking to be taken serious here, are you?  This is just too perfect that this comment would come from the most arrogant guy on this site.

As for Kevin Culhane I wouldn't say he's arrogant, but I would say he's a big time homer.  It can be tough to listen to a game, because you don't really know whether you are getting screwed or not.  He acts like every call is so darn bad you just don't know if you should really be upset or not. He also will sometimes get so into the game that he doesn't do a good job of letting the listener know exactly what's going on. I could see where opposing fans would really hate him.

The younger Culhane, Jeff, has a pretty good sports talk show on 1570.  I don't know if many of you ever listen to that, but I think you would find that much better than Kevin Culhane's play by play of games.  He has a good interview with Stig the other day talking about State's recruiting class.

Some Spencer guy and I think Jeff were doing the announcing on the web cast the other night.  I don't know if they always do it, but they were bad.  It was kind of funny.  Even though the announcing was bad, it was very nice getting to see the game, being that I wasn't able to make it.  I wish they were able to do that for road games as well.
                                I was listening to Culhane today and he was talking about Kardoes playing for Augie.  He said it won't mean much to USD or other NCC teams because the NCC is essentially equal to the GWFC and IAA football.  Thats not arrogant?  USD was pretty easily handled by a Central Arkansas team that we dominated.  So, Culhane is either arrogant, naive, or both when it comes to this issue and I contend most other issues as they pertain to USD.  He also made it seem like it was a bad idea for an "often-injured" Andy Kardoes.  Culhane is what he is and thats a fact.
                                [/quote]

That's completely ridiculous....

Comment

Working...
                                X