• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

Yankton P&D article (by our good and dear friend Jeremy Hoeck):
    USD Can Look To NDSU, SDSU As It Mulls Its Future
    . . .
    Athletic Director Fred Oien says the first thought of moving to Division I was born after a speech by Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton in Fargo, N.D. The North Central Conference athletic directors meet in Fargo for their annual meeting and were able to spend an afternoon with Fullerton, listening to him speak about the pros and cons of what it meant to be a D-I school.

"When it became pretty apparent that Northern Colorado and North Dakota State were interested (in leaving D-II), we got back to Brookings and started looking at our possibilities," Oien said. "We had to find out how far we were from being a Division I school, so we measured all our current operations."

While schools like USD can analyze information from past Division I studies, SDSU had no such luxury, Oien said. "We compared our current status to what was going on in comparable schools, especially Montana, Iowa State and those in the Mid-Continent Conference."
    (Subscription required, but free)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Its fine for USD to use NDSU and SDSU for models, but  the biggest challenge ahead for them is money. The concerns of the AD, Nielsen kind of tell it all. They seem to think that if they come close to matching SDSU, the problem is solved but they are NOT SDSU, they are USD and they need to learn about themselves. How do they find the extra money given the BOR Policies in place? This will be an interesting thread to follow into the future.

Comment

[quote author=Haldersham link=1150320172/60#61 date=1154230677]but they are NOT SDSU, they are USD

Thank God
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

This is not the smack forum.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I have not read any smack on this thread. Where is the smack?
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                I have not read any smack on this thread.  Where is the smack?  
                I believe filbert is referring to my little jab at your inability to quote a previous post. I could be wrong though, but that's my hunch.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                  [quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1150320172/60#65 date=1154331868]I have not read any smack on this thread. Where is the smack?
                  I believe filbert is referring to my little jab at your inability to quote a previous post. I could be wrong though, but that's my hunch.[/quote]

You are correct . . . what made the post smacky in my opinion was the inclusion of the picture, otherwise I'd have let the exchange go without comment.

We now return you to our regular badinage.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                    Well, I have let this announcement stew for a few days before I decided to post. My thoughts and observations:

1) Lampe is on this committee to relay what Krabbenhoft and the Augie committee are going to do (probably D-1).
                    2) All of the alumni members are members of the USD Foundation; money and foundation support are very important for a D-1 moveup.
                    3) Despite the Regents' decision to not allow increased student fee dollars to fund D-1, I would not be surprised to see an attempt to mimic the SDSU SA push for the wellness center as USD's student gov't may decide to launch a push for D-1 (and/or a new basketball arena) and state that they are willing to increase their student fees to see USD move into D-1.
                    3a) IMHO, I do NOT expect the Regents to be as hard on USD as they were on SDSU when we went D-1.
                    4) Where are the Vermillion (or even Yankton) community members on this task force?

I am convinced, barring any unforseeable developments, that Abbott has already decided to make the move to D-1 and that this committee will be more important in charting the D-1 course that the Coyotes will have.
                    I think you hit very close on many of these points. I believe, and this is supported by feedback from most I have encountered in the USD/Vermillion community, that the decision has already been made to move up.

Why don't you hear more chatter on message boards and such about this move, at least some infighting back and forth for or against? Because USD's move up was sealed when UND announced. The die has been cast, there is nothing much to discuss.

Looking forward to beating the bunnies on the gridiron. Too bad we are not meeting this year, the Yotes are going to be real tough again and it would be great to lay a licking on State. No matter if you are 1AA or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53
                      I think you hit very close on many of these points.  I believe, and Looking forward to beating the bunnies on the gridiron.  Too bad we are not meeting this year, the Yotes are going to be real tough again and it would be great to lay a licking on State.  No matter if you are 1AA or not.

No precedent for this so it doesn't merit a reply. Little brother always takes shots at big brother, often without any facts or even a realistic view. Don't forget the recent history here.

As for the move being sealed, why have a committee or even bother to study things then? It this all just a rouse to appease uncertain alumni/investors? Are you saying that if the committee recommends against it, USD will move up simply because of UND?

I must disagree. I think USD and the remaining NCC schools will elect to remain DII and will rebuild the NCC is some fashion. I might be wrong and you might be right but to say its sealed as of today seems foolish.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Members on this board were asking questions about what the vibe is at USD and what is going on? I give you an answer, you ignore it. Fine.

Little brother always takes shots at big brother

Big Brother? That's a laugh.

Comment

USD needs to get the Clash song off of auto-repeat.

I don't KNOW if USD will stay D-2. I believe they should for reasons that I have previously stated. Additionally, what I have heard from USD alums that are "close" to those involved in the decision is that there is a big split, but that the top dogs want a consensus for whichever way they go. It has been reported by several media types that USD had no problem ridiculing SDSU long-term plan for making the move just a few years ago; now some of those people have to explain how come they believe they made a mistake in dismissing SDSU's long-term.

I think since the group has a short time-frame, the may come back with a decision to make a complete study of the issue due to the proposals revolving around D-2 football (possible changes to playoffs, scholarship levels) and the turmoil with the NCC. This would also then give USD time to bring around those that really believe it is a mistake to go, along with those that don't know if they should stay or should they go. A better financial plan can be in position to ease any issues that they may have with BOR or alums.

Could I be wrong? Happens way too often not to believe there is a good chance of that, and I really won't be surprised what they decide. But I do think comments that people know what is going to happen need to be taken with a grain of salt

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53
                            Members on this board were asking questions about what the vibe is at USD and what is going on?  I give you an answer, you ignore it.  Fine.  

Little brother always takes shots at big brother

Big Brother?  That's a laugh.

Laugh all you want, we'll do the same. I laughed when I read your first post and I laughed when I read this one. Not sure replying to a post constitutes ignoring what you said but in your world it might.

As I said, I'll wait to hear the decision of the committee that has been formed to make that decision. I think USD is best served at the DII level of athletics as they determined previously. I don't think the decision by UND to declare intentions to move to DI should trigger any impulse decision by USD. USD stands alone on the merits it has established and should not quickly disregard those strengths just to satisfy those who are worried about the potential consequences of someone elses decisions.

I'll say it again, USD does not need to move to the DI ranks. They function as the states flagship liberal arts university and do not need a DI athletic program to continue that mission.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                              USD needs to get the Clash song off of auto-repeat.

I don't KNOW if USD will stay D-2. I believe they should for reasons that I have previously stated. Additionally, what I have heard from USD alums that are "close" to those involved in the decision is that there is a big split, but that the top dogs want a consensus for whichever way they go. It has been reported by several media types that USD had no problem ridiculing SDSU long-term plan for making the move just a few years ago; now some of those people have to explain how come they believe they made a mistake in dismissing SDSU's long-term.

I think since the group has a short time-frame, the may come back with a decision to make a complete study of the issue due to the proposals revolving around D-2 football (possible changes to playoffs, scholarship levels) and the turmoil with the NCC. This would also then give USD time to bring around those that really believe it is a mistake to go, along with those that don't know if they should stay or should they go. A better financial plan can be in position to ease any issues that they may have with BOR or alums.

Could I be wrong? Happens way too often not to believe there is a good chance of that, and I really won't be surprised what they decide. But I do think comments that people know what is going to happen need to be taken with a grain of salt
                              +++ Its about MONEY Over on the Coyote message board there is a thread about supporting the Coyote Athletic Club. Some less than excited posts. Note the article in the Grand Forks Herald under the thread D1 Finanaces the reporter was told by Dr Oien that contributions to the Jackrabbit Club have tripled since moving to D1. The same thing needs to happen in Verminland.  

Comment

Yotes53, welcome to the board and thanks for the input. I know in the past, that USD's D-1 decision was (supposedly) tied to whatever UND would do since USD does not really want to be the only Dakota flagship in D-2, particularly if the NCC and D-2 become very watered-down. USD has the drawback of having the smallest enrollment and community among these four schools; so, proper planning is vital for USD to avoid becoming the Savannah State of the Midwest if the 'Yotes choose to go D-1.

The lack of buzz on the message boards, however, is a bit of concern. There should be a sense of fear and anger if D-1 is a bad idea or a state of optimism and speculation (like renewing old rivalries and establishing new ones) if D-1 is a good thing. Reaction to SDSU's D-1 move by USD, coupled with the infamous "Beat State, Not..." shirts and USD's preference to schedule Upper Iowa instead of taking a payday at SDSU, really turned a lot of SDSU backers against USD even more, IMHO. The decades of bad blood between SDSU and USD (which is older, but smaller) doesn't help, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X