Why USD CAN go DI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

My only complaint with USD on the flagship issue is that some of their more vehement backers seem to think that USD is "the flagship university" when, seeing as how SDSU is the Land-Grant for South Dakota, it is really by definition (and, oh, how inconvenient, by Federal Law) a flagship university for the state.

So my issue is with the definite article where an indefinite article would be the correct and appropriate usage.

You'd think that the state's Liberal Arts Flagship University's English Department would teach that sort of thing.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Sunday Argus story on USD's move up.

[quote]
      http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...611260315/1162

USD's next move
      Decision hinges on costs, ability to raise money

By STEVE YOUNG
      syoung@argusleader.com
      PUBLISHED: November 26, 2006
      VERMILLION - John Lillibridge wasn't asked to develop a funding plan as co-leader of a task force looking into a possible move to Division I athletics by the University of South Dakota.

But when it comes to paying for the multimillion-dollar transition, the Burke banker has a few ideas - some of them more serious than others.

"We're going to have one huge bake sale," Lillibridge said recently, after his task force voted 21-4, with one abstention, to recommend the move to Division I.

Then, referring to USD President Jim Abbott and Athletic Director Joel Nielsen, he quickly added: "It's really quite simple. It's a question of whether Jim and Joel can get the money from donors and boosters and others.
      A great quote by SDSU's Fred Oien.

"I think there's a lot of upside potential" to being able to raise money for a Division I athletic budget at USD, Muenster said. "I think we have not begun to reach the top contribution levels possible here.

"Most public schools have not reached that potential. Most are relatively new in this fundraising enterprise. So if the U goes Division I, which would require more contributions, I'm optimistic that can be accommodated within what I call the Coyote Nation."

Of course, he's talking about more than bake sales. It will take generous donors, alumni, fans and boosters from all the country to make it reality, he said.

And that, SDSU's Oien added, is only the starting point.

"The one thing we know," he said, "is that hope is not a strategy when it comes to making a move like this."
      And an editorial in todays Argus.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...611260315/1162

Talk to us, President Abbott
      Public should know thoughts on moving USD to Division I

PUBLISHED: November 26, 2006
      When will Jim Abbott decide? What will go into that decision? What is he considering? What is he thinking?

No one knows - at least, no one who's talking. Abbott, president of the University of South Dakota, has let it be known that he won't talk publicly about his pending decision on whether the school should move from Division II athletics to Division I.

He won't say a word, he says, until he decides - which, to meet conference and other requirements, ought to come by the end of December.

That's a mistake, and it's doing the USD community - as well as South Dakota - a disservice.

Comment

I'm somewhat surprised that no one has stood up and demanded that Abbott voice his opinion. If I were a USD alum, I think I'd require some sort of roadmap from the President of the University. It wouldn't take much to, at least, state the obvious pros/cons for nothing more than to pacify those who are criticizing him right now. I suspect he's having some difficulty removing his loafer from his mouth.

Comment

USD's move to D-I athletics will soon happen if all expectations come true.  I wish them the best of luck with this transition which the entire SDSU community knows is not an easy task.  USD will have it's ups and downs but we really won't be able to compare the two schools for a number of years.   Likely USD will be the same distance behind SDSU when both schools were in the NCC.  Only now in D-I athletics the magnifying glass is much bigger and stronger therefore more struggles for USD will likely occur during their transition period.  

USD is not going to have a rival in SDSU because we simply aren't going to play them for a number of years to come.  And from what I can tell by the attitudes of people in the athletic department, it will be much longer than people think before SDSU will even consider taking the field, court, etc. with the Coyotes.  That will be something they'll cry foul about and insist how it's SDSU that won't play them.  I don't expect why anyone would think we would when all things are considered while SDSU was going through their transition.  

In the grand scheme of things though...if USD is successful and makes their mark in D-I athletics how good would that be for the state of South Dakota?  I personally think it would be a great thing showing people across the country that yes we up here in South Dakota can do things right!

Comment

You never know if some of our coaches may try to schedule USD since they are a regional opponent.

Coach Liles might want to schedule a match with the 'Yotes........but, USD doesn't have a wrestling squad.

Coach Christensen probably wouldn't mind playing some early season games in the DakotaDumpTM...... but, wait!.........USD cut their baseball program a couple years ago.

The equestrian team could ride all over the DakotaDumpTM..........alas, USD doesn't have an equestrian program either.

I know that this post is smackish, but my point is that SDSU has consistently expanded its atheltic programs while USD's athletic department has regressed or been lucky to tread water. That is not a good foundation for a rivalry even if we want annual laughers on the court and field. If USD wants to move up to D-1, Abbott better start opening his mouth and revealing his vision for USD athletics and how they're going to develop their program........and the Regents better be ready to ask him some very tough questions when they meet in a couple weeks......

Comment

I just don't see games with USD in football or basketball for years to come and don't until/if we are in the same conference!

They may schedule baseball, volleyball, swimming, golf, soccer, or tennis but no chance for the most attended sports!

USD burned a lot of bridges when we made the leap and they don't have the cash to rebuild them!

I agree with BTownJack that having two succesful D-1 programs would be a great plus for South Dakota! My question is whether it is possible or feasible at USD! I guess we will hear Abbott's plan soon enough!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61129010

Press conference re: D-1 at 2:30 this afternoon. No specific location mentioned.......makes you wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78

Press conference re: D-1 at 2:30 this afternoon. No specific location mentioned.......makes you wonder.
                  Terry V. will be covering it for Mick G. for the argus because of Mick being on vacation.

Comment

Terry is going to be putting on some miles today isn't he.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU
                      Terry V. will be covering it for Mick G. for the argus because of Mick being on vacation.
                      Wonder why isn't the Argus sending Stu?? I suppose he's too busy doing research on the NSIC........

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                        Terry is going to be putting on some miles today isn't he.
                        Per his Blog at the Argus, he says he won't be liveblogging tonight's SDSU game, so he might not be at tonight's game.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU
                          [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1150320172/330#336 date=1164821544]http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61129010

[/quote]

Excellent coordination of the press on the part of USD, I'd say. (I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic or a bit bitter . . . )
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78

My guess, they have hired Carr and associates to review the move and help guide them during the "exploratory" phase, i.e. the same thing UND just announced.

Second best guess, they take the leap to DI with "hope" leading the way.

Last, they announce plans to remain in the NCC for one more year and promise to "revisit" the DI move.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Didn't they announce already that they hired the previous consultants to continue provide services during the evaluation?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I looked on the USD website and it didn't say anything about the conference.

Is it broadcast on the web anywhere or a link to a radio station?

Your help is appreciated.

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X