Why USD CAN go DI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

As I have stated before, any contracts with USD while they are in transition should consist of games in Brookings and Sioux Falls. Considering the lack of respect that USD fans and personnel have shown towards SDSU in the recent past, I believe that such an offer would be more than fair......

Comment

USD is not so much a follower (as far as doing to D1 after the SU's) as much as they are reacting to a situation they were put in by other schools that abandoned the NCC. USD does not have a real attractive option that entails staying in D2 right now and that is likely alot of the reason that the consulting firm and task force have unanimously chosen the D1 route. It's not USD fault that their conference was being pulled out from underneath them. If USD would have been first to make a move the shoe would have been on the other foot right now. Do you honestly believe that if NDSU would not have made the move up that SDSU would have moved withouth them, I seriously doubt it. Now SDSU people act as if they are some kind of a superior school because of it but all they really are is a few years ahead in the transition process. 10 years from now it won't make much difference who actually decided to move first. In the long term of things it doesn't really matter who leads and who follows but instead how each individual school handles the situation they are in. For SDSU it is not even on the radar that USD could possibly succeed more in their move than SDSU has and still will in their move. That is the problem with the SDSU way of thinking and that is why it will be a disappointment when or if USD has as much success as SDSU does. If both schools sponser 8 sports together SDSU is not going to be better in all 8 sports, it's simply not going to happen, at least long term when USD has caught up. USD will do things better than SDSU and visa-versa.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge USD until we see what their plan of action is. They could have far different ideas on how to promote themselves. Actually from a marketing standpoint I think USD has done well for themselves. They are on TV locally as a D2 school, where SDSU is not. SDSU has doesn't even have a coaches show on TV for football or basketball. Actually living in Sioux Falls I don't hear much of anything coming out of SDSU to market their programs. USD could easily take a different approach. They could work on marketing alot differently and you never know what kind of donations they may have in the works that we have yet to learn. I heard a couple of months ago that USD might have a sponcer or donor of something that plans to fund the entire football program. I am not saying it's going to happen but if it does I think USD isn't going to be in too bad of shape.

For those calling the dome the "DakotaDump" I wouldn't speak so loudly considering it is a better football facility than "Cough" lin Alumni. That stadium is nothing more than a mud pit that isn't real attractive to the eye.

My basic point is to be carefull in what you assume about USD. I would venture to guess that alot of wrong assumptions have been made already. I doubt any of you would have predicted the kind of turnarond that is in place for our football program. Add a few more scholarships and USD is pretty much D1AA ready.
      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
        As I have stated before, any contracts with USD while they are in transition should consist of games in Brookings and Sioux Falls. Considering the lack of respect that USD fans and personnel have shown towards SDSU in the recent past, I believe that such an offer would be more than fair......

How about putting your money where your mouth is. According to 95% of SDSU fans there is absolutely no way that USD could beat SDSU. Prove it then. We play a neutral game in Sioux Falls in 2008. The winner gets the home game in 2009. End of story. That is how you prove the success of your program up at D1AA. I say if you wouldn't agree to that then you are scared of defeat.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

things are getting deep at the D2 football board.   a yote fan think usd can be another gonzaga in basketball. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
            things are getting deep at the D2 football board.   a yote fan think usd can be another gonzaga in basketball. ;D
            That's nothing. NDSU fans have been saying that for years. :

Comment

What happens if Abbott decides to do nothing? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                USD is not so much a follower (as far as doing to D1 after the SU's) as much as they are reacting to a situation they were put in by other schools that abandoned the NCC.  USD does not have a real attractive option that entails staying in D2 right now and that is likely alot of the reason that the consulting firm and task force have unanimously chosen the D1 route.  It's not USD fault that their conference was being pulled out from underneath them.  If USD would have been first to make a move the shoe would have been on the other foot right now.  Do you honestly believe that if NDSU would not have made the move up that SDSU would have moved withouth them, I seriously doubt it.  Now SDSU people act as if they are some kind of a superior school because of it but all they really are is a few years ahead in the transition process.  10 years from now it won't make much difference who actually decided to move first.   In the long term of things it doesn't really matter who leads and who follows but instead how each individual school handles the situation they are in.  For SDSU it is not even on the radar that USD could possibly succeed more in their move than SDSU has and still will in their move.  That is the problem with the SDSU way of thinking and that is why it will be a disappointment when or if USD has as much success as SDSU does.  If both schools sponser 8 sports together SDSU is not going to be better in all 8 sports, it's simply not going to happen, at least long term when USD has caught up.  USD will do things better than SDSU and visa-versa.  

I wouldn't be so quick to judge USD until we see what their plan of action is.  They could have far different ideas on how to promote themselves.  Actually from a marketing standpoint I think USD has done well for themselves.  They are on TV locally as a D2 school, where SDSU is not.  SDSU has doesn't even have a coaches show on TV for football or basketball.  Actually living in Sioux Falls I don't hear much of anything coming out of SDSU to market their programs.  USD could easily take a different approach.  They could work on marketing alot differently and you never know what kind of donations they may have in the works that we have yet to learn.  I heard a couple of months ago that USD might have a sponcer or donor of something that plans to fund the entire football program.  I am not saying it's going to happen but if it does I think USD isn't going to be in too bad of shape.  

For those calling the dome the "DakotaDump" I wouldn't speak so loudly considering it is a better football facility than "Cough" lin Alumni.  That stadium is nothing more than a mud pit that isn't real attractive to the eye.

My basic point is to be carefull in what you assume about USD.  I would venture to guess that alot of wrong assumptions have been made already.  I doubt any of you would have predicted the kind of turnarond that is in place for our football program.  Add a few more scholarships and USD is pretty much D1AA ready.  
                Nice of you to rewrite history.  UNC left first and wanted NDSU & SDSU to leave at the same time.  NDSU & SDSU decided to stay one more year and try to get the NCC to move up as one.  It failed and your great president is quoted as saying to both schools "don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out".  Now with the success of both NDSU & SDSU in DI - und and usd are feeling left behind and want some of that DI success.  If both NDSU & SDSU would be struggling in DI I doubt that either school would be thinking of moving up.  Jealousy is a powerful emotion.  After NDSU & SDSU spent years studying the move basically all und and usd did is - if NDSU & SDSU can do it we surely can.  
                usd has a long way to go before they will be successful in DI - first is - where is the conference? - both you and und missed that boat.  Your facilities for dii are okay but for DI they suck.  Money will always be a problem for you and your town isn't exactly a DI town.  Welcome to Independent DI HELL.  Lead - follow or get the hell out of the way!  We all know what your school did. ;D

Comment

Coyote_Fan,

We have put our money where our mouth is...USD turned it down....please dont come on here trying to justify your own ignorance.

Consulting firm...who have they consulted?  Looks to me they are a rubber stamp affiliation.  Check out their web site for their back ground.

SDSU hires Carr and they spend basically two years researching the move for not only SDSU but NDSU also.  You hire a firm in late September and they already have the answers.

Come on...being a USD  graduate you should be wondering what the hell they were thinking...what sports need to be added/dropped  to meet the Title IX requirements for equality in scholarship ratio?
                  There are a lot of questions that havent been answered, this should be your concern not what a bunch of Jackrabbit fans on their own fan site are saying about USD.

You have a big wake-up call in front of you.

As far as Coughlin Stadium...one time in 25 years we have unusual rains they tear up the field and you want to compare.   Football was made to be played outdoors not inside a grain bin.  Yes, the stadium is old but there is no comparison as far as our natural grass to that rug in the Dump.  Coughlin will get rebuilt with SDSU monies unlike USD that runs to the tax payers every time something needs done.
                  Example: Coughlin is twice the age of the dome yet WE THE TAX PAYER HAD to pay for your new roof with our tobacco settlement share.

Being that you are already dogs...when you get off the porch, then and only then can you compare yourselves to the big dogs.

Right now you are minnows swimming up the Mighty Mo, when you become 8" keepers start chirping, because only then will you ever truely be able to compare yourself.

Comment

We should all cut Coyote_Fan some slack because he does say some things that are very accurate in his little rant!

A couple of the truths:

"SDSU people thact as if they are some sort of superior school..."  

You are absolutely correct on this statement when it comes to a comparison to our little red-headed stepchild of a brother in Vermillion.  Superior in virtually every way!  Largest, D-I athletics, better scholarship programs that attract brighter students, and on and on and on.  Oh shoot, I forgot!  You have the DakotaDump!

"They (USD) are on TV locally where SDSU is not."

Again, bingo my mangy flea-bitten esse!  You have had games on TV but do you know how much your school pays to have them on the air?  I don't know the figure but know for fact that you are writing a check!

"My basic point is to be careful what you assume about USD."

Hey, do a little research on here and you'll see that I have done nothing but wish USD the best of luck with their brutally difficult decision.  Personally, I think The U is screwed in this deal without a good option.  You can thank your wonderful leadership for sitting on their thumbs while the rest of the NCC studied the options and took action.  Now, finally, you guys have studied the option and are going to make a decision.  I want to see the plan for your move and am very skeptical of what will be, but I am retaining an open mind!  South Dakota needs USD to be succesful but it doesn't matter at all to SDSU!

"USD is not so much a follower..."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                    Everything that has happened in Vermillion has been a result of the impact from SDSU and NDSU leaving the NCC and moving to D-I.  How can you possibly look through your red-colored glasses and make such a comment?  And as the opening sentence to your rant no less!  YOU ARE TRULY A BUNCH OF GROUNDBREAKERS!

"That stadium is nothing more than a mudpit and isn't real attractive to the eye."

YEAH, AIN'T IT GREAT!  WE WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!!!  You can keep your warm and toast DakotaDump and enjoy that marvelous facility.  You deserve it!

I'M AFRAID YOU ARE GOING TO STRUGGLE MIGHTILY FOR MANY YEARS AS A D-I INDEPENDENT.  EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD CAN TELL YOU HOW GLORIOUS THAT IS!!!

I wish wisdom to the people that will makethe fateful decision for USD!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                      USD is not so much a follower (as far as doing to D1 after the SU's) as much as they are reacting to a situation they were put in by other schools that abandoned the NCC.  USD does not have a real attractive option that entails staying in D2 right now and that is likely alot of the reason that the consulting firm and task force have unanimously chosen the D1 route.  It's not USD fault that their conference was being pulled out from underneath them.  If USD would have been first to make a move the shoe would have been on the other foot right now.  Do you honestly believe that if NDSU would not have made the move up that SDSU would have moved withouth them, I seriously doubt it.  Now SDSU people act as if they are some kind of a superior school because of it but all they really are is a few years ahead in the transition process.  10 years from now it won't make much difference who actually decided to move first.   In the long term of things it doesn't really matter who leads and who follows but instead how each individual school handles the situation they are in.  For SDSU it is not even on the radar that USD could possibly succeed more in their move than SDSU has and still will in their move.  That is the problem with the SDSU way of thinking and that is why it will be a disappointment when or if USD has as much success as SDSU does.  If both schools sponser 8 sports together SDSU is not going to be better in all 8 sports, it's simply not going to happen, at least long term when USD has caught up.  USD will do things better than SDSU and visa-versa.  

I wouldn't be so quick to judge USD until we see what their plan of action is.  They could have far different ideas on how to promote themselves.  Actually from a marketing standpoint I think USD has done well for themselves.  They are on TV locally as a D2 school, where SDSU is not.  SDSU has doesn't even have a coaches show on TV for football or basketball.  Actually living in Sioux Falls I don't hear much of anything coming out of SDSU to market their programs.  USD could easily take a different approach.  They could work on marketing alot differently and you never know what kind of donations they may have in the works that we have yet to learn.  I heard a couple of months ago that USD might have a sponcer or donor of something that plans to fund the entire football program.  I am not saying it's going to happen but if it does I think USD isn't going to be in too bad of shape.  

For those calling the dome the "DakotaDump" I wouldn't speak so loudly considering it is a better football facility than "Cough" lin Alumni.  That stadium is nothing more than a mud pit that isn't real attractive to the eye.

My basic point is to be carefull in what you assume about USD.  I would venture to guess that alot of wrong assumptions have been made already.  I doubt any of you would have predicted the kind of turnarond that is in place for our football program.  Add a few more scholarships and USD is pretty much D1AA ready.  

If I was a USD supporter (arrgh, I just threw up in my mouth), I wouldn't be so much worried about being a follower or a leader as much as I would about the state of my leadership.  In the last three years the State of SD has heard so many plans from "The" University of South Dakota it is quite ridiculous.  For example:

- We are going to be the Harvard of the Plains
                      - We are going to focus our time and resources on academics
                      - We are South Dakota's Athletic Team
                      - We are going to stabilize a smaller enrollment for more individual attention and academic support
                      - We are going to put our resources into becoming a Division 1 Athletic University
                      - We are going to raise our Admissions standards to support our academic mission
                      - We are going to grow our enrollement to 11,000 (an increase of appx 30%) to support our needs for a move to Division 1

Flip Flop, Flip Flop.  Is there a real plan at USD?  To me it sounds like a politician is running the show  
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                        [quote author=Coyote_Fan link=1150320172/270#271 date=1162968997]

... I wouldn't be so quick to judge USD until we see what their plan of action is.  They could have far different ideas on how to promote themselves.  Actually from a marketing standpoint I think USD has done well for themselves.  They are on TV locally as a D2 school, where SDSU is not.  SDSU has doesn't (sic) even have a coaches show on TV for football or basketball.  Actually living in Sioux Falls I don't hear much of anything coming out of SDSU to market their programs.  USD could easily take a different approach.  They could work on marketing alot (sic) differently and you never know what kind of donations they may have in the works that we have yet to learn.  I heard a couple of months ago that USD might have a sponcer (sic) or donor of something that plans to fund the entire football program.  I am not saying it's going to happen but if it does I think USD isn't going to be in too bad of shape... 

My basic point is to be carefull in what you assume about USD.  I would venture to guess that alot (sic) of wrong assumptions have been made already.  I doubt any of you would have predicted the kind of turnarond (sic) that is in place for our football program.  Add a few more scholarships and USD is pretty much D1AA ready.  

- We are going to be the Harvard of the Plains
                        - We are going to focus our time and resources on academics
                        - We are South Dakota's Athletic Team
                        - We are going to stabalize a smaller enrollment for more individual attention and academic support
                        - We are going to put our resources into becoming a Division 1 Athletic University
                        - We are going to raise our Admissions standards to support our academic mission
                        - We are going to grow our enrollement to 11,000 (an increase of appx 30%) to support our needs for a move to Division 1

[/quote]

I was a skeptic when SDSU announced plans to reclassify to D-1.  I am a skeptic about USD's pending decision to reclassify.  Perhaps I will be as wrong in my skepticism about USD as a I was about SDSU.  With that in mind I think I will simply say that President Abbott has an awful lot on his desk at the present time and that the University of South Dakota and the entire State of South Dakota are counting on him to make the correct decision.  The dicision is now his to make.

Whether we like it or not it appears probable that the USD Coyotes will be our peers again in the 2012-2013 academic year.  I suspect that by that time that we may change some of our attitudes and that our universities may have made some significant changes in our athletic facilities.

I cannot argue with Coyote Fan that with the addition of a few scholarships that USD's football program is pretty much D1AA already.  That is exactly what one of the consultants said several years ago when SDSU, et. al. tried to convince the entire conference to reclassify.  I believe that the statement was something like this (parapharase).  'The NCC is already a Division 1 conference.  It just doesn't know it yet.'

I propose that we wish both President Abbott and USD well in this reclassification decision and look forward to the fall of 2012 when we can resume what was once one of the best D-2 rivalries in the nation at a new D-1 level.

Comment

What about the SD Board of Regents? Didn't SDSU have to get regental approval before moving? Do you expect the BOR will let them go.

Comment

Originally posted by cactus
                            What about the SD Board of Regents?  Didn't SDSU have to get regental approval before moving?  Do you expect the BOR will let them go.  
                            I think the Board of Regents will respond to USD exactly as they did to SDSU. The decision will probably contain many of the same words and phrases.

Comment

How many programs does USD have to add to fit the bill for D-1? And how much money are they gonna need from the state? And how much money will SDSU get for USD needing money? We could start building our new stand within the next 5 years if USD needs a couple million ;D

Comment

2 words my friends my friends, BLIND ARROGANCE. I don't have time to expand on that comment right now but time will tell. Remember, facts are facts and bull**** is bull****. SDSU will continue to be a leader while USD follows. Call it what you may, fact is fact. Not trying to convince any USD followers just reiterating what we all know. Rationalize all you want, its your world not mine.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X