Why USD CAN go DI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

I saw reference to to an e-mail that was sent to the USD faithful over on the Sioux fan board. So I thought I would go to the source, d2football.com, and post a link for what it is worth.

http://www.d2football.com/board/inde...showtopic=4417

Go State!

Comment

Did I read in the last paragraph that South Dakota was the only state in the union to not have it's flagship and primary land grant university at the Div. I level? :-?  I'm confused...help me out here 89?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
        Did I read in the last paragraph that South Dakota was the only state in the union to not have it's flagship and primary land grant university at the Div. I level? :-?  I'm confused...help me out here 89?

When you consider the source .  .  .  all will be made clear, Grasshopper.   ;D

Go State!  

Comment

Did I read in the last paragraph that South Dakota was the only state in the union to not have it's flagship and primary land grant university at the Div. I level? :-? I'm confused...help me out here 89?
          If you count D-I hockey, that statement is in fact true.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Too bad USD can't just say what everyone knows. They are in no better a position to make a move to DI now than ever. If anything, their best opportunity past them by several years ago.

They were wrong to criticize SDSU's move to DI. It was the right decision. USD should just admit that openly.

Now, driven primarily by envy but also by an arrogance (they believe they are so much better than the rest of DII), they are a train, off the track, headed towards disaster. I assure you the NSIC teams are just giddy at the thought of USD struggling in the DI ranks. Who can bring some common sense to the argument?

If you disagree, explain to me why USD is in a better position to go DI now than before. The argument that DII is changing was made before and cannot, I MEAN CANNOT, be used as justification now. Despite that level of logic, many are using that fact as rationalization (the freudian definition) for the move to DI.

Nearly everything that we (SDSU) expected to happen during our move to DI has. That doesn't mean that USD will do the same, I would argue it means nothing to USD that SDSU and NDSU have made the transition successfully. And, if you want to argue we have been unsuccessful, what does that say for USD's chances?

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be funny. I don't see how a consulting firm, given the honest facts, could support a move to DI at this time. I just don't see it. They'll have to do some serious tap dancing to convince any competent consultant that they are now in a better position to make a move to DI work. The key word here being WORK. Anyone can try and fail and foolish people do it repeatedly and despite the warning signs.

Can someone make sense of this?
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
              Too bad USD can't just say what everyone knows.  They are in no better a position to make a move to DI now than ever.  If anything, their best opportunity past them by several years ago.  

They were wrong to criticize SDSU's move to DI.  It was the right decision.  USD should just admit that openly.

Now, driven primarily by envy but also by an arrogance (they believe they are so much better than the rest of DII), they are a train, off the track, headed towards disaster.  I assure you the NSIC teams are just giddy at the thought of USD struggling in the DI ranks.  Who can bring some common sense to the argument?

If you disagree, explain to me why USD is in a better position to go DI now than before.  The argument that DII is changing was made before and cannot, I MEAN CANNOT, be used as justification now.  Despite that level of logic, many are using that fact as rationalization (the freudian definition) for the move to DI.

Nearly everything that we (SDSU) expected to happen during our move to DI has.  That doesn't mean that USD will do the same, I would argue it means nothing to USD that SDSU and NDSU have made the transition successfully.  And, if you want to argue we have been unsuccessful, what does that say for USD's chances?

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be funny.  I don't see how a consulting firm, given the honest facts, could support a move to DI at this time.  I just don't see it.  They'll have to do some serious tap dancing to convince any competent consultant that they are now in a better position to make a move to DI work.  The key word here being WORK.  Anyone can try and fail and foolish people do it repeatedly and despite the warning signs.  

Can someone make sense of this?
              I'm with you Jackmd!

Unless there are some huge $$,$$$,$$$ coming from somewhere, it is about impossible to rationalize! How could the Board of Regents go for it unless the reason above is true?

USD is a much tougher sell to a conference than either of the SU's. I'm sure that USD was paying attention to everything that happened on SDSU's journey and they shouldn't take any comfort in that.

The 'Yotes are truly between a rock and a hard place and that isn't good for them or South Dakota!

Best of luck!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...INESS/61017011
                According to a Forbes article, Sanford’s goal is to “die broke.”
                USD is probably hoping that they will get a hundred million or two from T. Denny before he goes broke......

Comment

Someone from the SDSU Foundation needs to give him a call. We can help him meet his goal! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    [quote author=Rabbitden link=1150320172/195#196 date=1161094024]Did I read in the last paragraph that South Dakota was the only state in the union to not have it's flagship and primary land grant university at the Div. I level? :-?  I'm confused...help me out here 89?

When you consider the source .  .  .  all will be made clear, Grasshopper.   ;D

Go State!  [/quote]

From another thread .  .  .  

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    Ah Den (aka Grasshopper),

Now I understand the question you presented to me on another thread.  I don't believe that USD is trying to claim "Land Grant" status in the letter that you referenced.  What I think they are trying to do is create an artificial distinction between what they term "Flagship" Universities (like themselves) and "Land Grant" Universities like SDSU.

This of course flies in the face of what is generally a universally accepted academic definition of "Flagship University":

Chancellor Robert M. Berdahl’s - University of California, Berkeley wrote, “What do we mean by the term "Flagship" universities? The term applies, in all the cases I can think of, to the fully mature public universities serving most of states. In most cases, these institutions were the first public universities to be established in their states. Many of what we now call the Flagship campuses were established in the extraordinary period of university building that took place in the United States in the roughly three decades from the mid-1850s to the mid-1880s. Many came into being after the Morrill Act of 1863 provided the federal grants of land to the states to establish public universities. Some states built two institutions, a land-grant college focused on agriculture and the "mechanical arts" as well as general education, and another more directed at classical education and the other professions. For example, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Washington, and Texas, among others, built separate institutions, while Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, and California combined the land-grant and liberal arts function on a single campus. These institutions formed the core of the public systems of higher education in their respective states. State teachers colleges, later evolving into regional state colleges or universities, formed the rest of the higher education institutions in most states.”

So the reality is that both USD and SDSU are "Flagship" Universities and the last part of the letter was just a sad attempt to try and make the USD faithful feel special.  :  ;D

Go State!  

P.S.  Here is a link if you would like to know more about "Land Grant" Status:

http://www.higher-ed.org/resources/morrill_acts.htm

Hopefully that answers your question.

Go State!  

Comment

Both UND and USD need to get over themselves, I've seen both try and claim to be their state's flagship U when in fact they share that status with NDSU and SDSU.

Comment

Press Release: http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/new...elease_id=3396

Consultant's website: http://www.icac.us/

USD will be having "town meetings" with their outside consultant, who must have been having a slow fall if they were able to deal with USD so quickly. I'm surprised that their sessions in Rapid City (USD has fans out there?) and Sioux Falls are during the daytime. I wasn't that impressed with the consultant's website, but it appeared that their expertise is in fundraising. I'm more convinced that USD has decided to make the move as the consultant is likely focusing on how USD can find money to go D-1 and build a new basketball arena.

Comment

*yawn* *scratches butt* oh i'm still here. is anyone really caring about this not really. is it important to us eh not really. can we laugh at them if they don't find a conference for a while oh Fu*$ Yah.

Comment

If USD goes D-1 and we decide not to schedule them (which would be our perogative), there could be media, legislative, and possibly Regental pressure for us to play the twerps.

Frankly, we don't need them; they probably need us to help fill out their schedule, get into a conference, and help persuade the Regents (and the Legislature) to be more flexible with paying for D-1 costs.

USD has a long and proven history of trying to undermine SDSU. Hence, we always have to keep an eye on that pesky ol' coyote who wants to raid our fields.........

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8085008/?GT1=6657

So they are kind of like them people who smoke in the portapotties eh? Light up and Bam! Ankles deep in sh%&. Never expecting the unexpected ;D

Comment

If USD needs SDSU so bad than why has their football attendance gone up drastically since they no longer play SDSU. That doesn't smell like a need for SDSU at all.
                                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                                X