Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's official the NCC is History

Originally posted by 1bunnies
    First off, I want to state that I am glad SDSU is doing what were doing. Second, I believe the NSIC can become one of the powerful D2 conferneces in the country.  In time some new rivalries will develope and I believe there will be very good competition in the NSIC.
    I agree. I don't know if the NSIC will be the power that the NCC once was, but I do agree that it will be one of the better conferences in the DII. With the changes in the DII and the reduction in the scholarships, the glory days may be gone. Still the NSIC will be a very competitive conference. I, too, agree that I am very glad we made the move and am very glad where we are at right now...Also, I think that the NSIC will have to consider splitting into two divisions based on the number of teams and geographical locations of the participating schools. Probably a north and south v. east and west.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
      [quote author=1bunnies link=1175547812/0#13 date=1175814926]First off, I want to state that I am glad SDSU is doing what were doing. Second, I believe the NSIC can become one of the powerful D2 conferneces in the country.  In time some new rivalries will develope and I believe there will be very good competition in the NSIC.
      I agree. I don't know if the NSIC will be the power that the NCC once was, but I do agree that it will be one of the better conferences in the DII.  With the changes in the DII and the reduction in the scholarships, the glory days may be gone. Still the NSIC will be a very competitive conference. I, too, agree that I am very glad we made the move and am very glad where we are at right now...Also, I think that the NSIC will have to consider splitting into two divisions based on the number of teams and geographical locations of the participating schools. Probably a north and south v. east and west.[/quote]

I also expect good things from the NSIC.  Whether or not they split into two divisions or two separate conferences or remain as one single division conference will depend on what the current members ultimately decide to do and whether or not additional members request admission.  If schools such as DSU and UNO should request admission in order to find a conference home and push the total number of members to sixteen I would foresee a division.  An alternative also exists for football.  It is possible for the conference to split along a non-geographic line according to how many scholarships a school has to offer.  For example, they could split into conferences of 24 scholarships or less and more than 24.

Comment

Originally posted by gatewayrabbit
        I could easily see the NSIC splitting into 2 conferences in the short-term future (5-10 years) similar to what the WAC did a few years back.  The original WAC teams left and formed the Mountain West.  Who knows the NCC may resurrect in the future.  There is also the possiblility of a couple more of the former brothers in the NCC may leap to D-1.  It is a lot more fun to be a leader than a follower.  It sure is a great time to be a Jackrabbit!!!!!!!!!!!
        The fact is that SDSU would have never gone D1 if NDSU hadn't. It's not like they had this thought on their own. The only difference between USD and SDSU is that USD took the conservative route and SDSU took a bit more of a risk. You can't really blame either for the route they took but the destination is really what is the important thing. In 10 years it won't matter who went first. That won't be remembered as much as what the schools do in the long term. When push came to shove USD went D1. If they would have accepted a bid into the Northern Sun that would have been a major problem with me. They eventually went D1 and did a big study so I can live with how they came about their decision. For all we know they may have wanted to go a few years ago but might not have had their ducks in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
          [quote author=gatewayrabbit link=1175547812/0#14 date=1175817216]I could easily see the NSIC splitting into 2 conferences in the short-term future (5-10 years) similar to what the WAC did a few years back.  The original WAC teams left and formed the Mountain West.  Who knows the NCC may resurrect in the future.  There is also the possiblility of a couple more of the former brothers in the NCC may leap to D-1.  It is a lot more fun to be a leader than a follower.  It sure is a great time to be a Jackrabbit!!!!!!!!!!!
          The fact is that SDSU would have never gone D1 if NDSU hadn't.  It's not like they had this thought on their own.  The only difference between USD and SDSU is that USD took the conservative route and SDSU took a bit more of a risk.  You can't really blame either for the route they took but the destination is really what is the important thing.  In 10 years it won't matter who went first.  That won't be remembered as much as what the schools do in the long term.  When push came to shove USD went D1.  If they would have accepted a bid into the Northern Sun that would have been a major problem with me.  They eventually went D1 and did a big study so I can live with how they came about their decision.  For all we know they may have wanted to go a few years ago but might not have had their ducks in a row.   [/quote]

The reality is that SDSU is a leader and usd2 is a follower. 10 years ago and 10 years from now that will still be true. Good luck to the yotes, you will need it because you still do not have your ducks in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
            The fact is that SDSU would have never gone D1 if NDSU hadn't.  It's not like they had this thought on their own.  The only difference between USD and SDSU is that USD took the conservative route and SDSU took a bit more of a risk.  You can't really blame either for the route they took but the destination is really what is the important thing.  In 10 years it won't matter who went first.  That won't be remembered as much as what the schools do in the long term.  When push came to shove USD went D1.  If they would have accepted a bid into the Northern Sun that would have been a major problem with me.  They eventually went D1 and did a big study so I can live with how they came about their decision.  For all we know they may have wanted to go a few years ago but might not have had their ducks in a row.  
            EDIT -- Late at night, wrote a response that was too long so I'm modifying (deleting) most of the response except the following for Ucks:  "It's not like they had this thought on their own"?  If it matters who thought of what, Ucks, at least there is no dispute that USD didn't think of this on its own, Ucks.  I suggest USD didn't think about it at all.  The title of this thread is:  It's official the NCC is History.  USD had no choice, Ucks.  That's not decision-making; that's reaction.

Comment

I'll miss the NCC.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

SDSU decided, along with NDSU, to move to D-I. USD wasn't conservative about it, they only moved when there was little or no choice. He who hesitates is lost, and all that. Will it matter in 10 years who went first? Possibly not, but SDSU will have years under their belt by then, and will be long since settled into conferences. It's hard to say how long it will take for USD to get into a conference. NDSU and SDSU moved at the right time to take advantage of openings.

USD fans should not be surprised if the move to D-I is not easy - it tends not to be.

Comment

Sorry, I don't want to go all of the posts here but....

What will happen to Central washington and Western Washington who were the football only members of the NCC?

Comment

Poke:  I don't have any idea about the two Washington schools and haven't thought about it.  But, you may want to inquire on the USD fan message board:  http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index.cgi

It's pretty quiet over there and some of the posters may enjoy some conversation.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                      Poke:  I don't have any idea about the two Washington schools and haven't thought about it.  But, you may want to inquire on the USD fan message board:  http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index.cgi

It's pretty quiet over there and some of the posters may enjoy some conversation.

Go Jacks!
                      Thanks. I'll inquire there.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola
                        I realize that everyone is moving on to bigger and better things, but it is sad.  I have lots of fond memories of the old NCC.  My fondest would have to be my trips as a kid to see Holiday Tournament games in Sioux Falls.  
                        The old days of the NCC tourney. I remember road tripping with friends to the tourney and we had the arena cheer 'where is augie' and 'augie sucks'. Of course Augie didn't make the tourney but was great we had the rest of the arena cheering with us. We ended up sitting in the bleachers and the St. Cloud St. team was close to us. We had them laughing so hard.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I found this article about the NCC beginning its final season in the Sioux City Journal:

"Welcome to the 2007 football scrapbook.
                          Once-mighty NCC starts final fall of football

Posted from 08/24/07:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Before Adam Vinatieri won two Super Bowls for the New England Patriots with last-second field goals, he was warming up his foot at South Dakota State.

Before Phil Hansen racked up all those sacks for the Buffalo Bills, he was sharpening his pass-rushing skills at North Dakota State.

One of the country's strongest small-college leagues for decades, steadily producing professional-caliber athletes like Vinatieri and Hansen, the North Central Conference has withered in recent years while top teams defected to Division I. The 2007-08 season will be the NCC's last."

Read the rest of the article at http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...485-082407.txt
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                          X