Soderberg done at Saint Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D1 Coach/DII Coach

This topic (Coach Nagy's ability) has been beaten to death. You don't think Coach Nagy learned anything about how to be a coach at the D-I level while being a GA on an Illinois team that played in the final 4? Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Soderberg assist Lorenzo Romar at St. Louis after being let go by Wisconsin? So he had experience at the D-I level under two coaches. The assistant coaches play a huge role in the recruitment of athletes. It certainly could not have been an easy job trying to convince athletes to come to Brookings when there was no hope of a conference title or the post-season, while playing a large amount of your games on the road. Who had more success at State- Soderberg or Nagy? NAGY! Talk to the guys who played for both coaches- who did they enjoy playing for more? I would say the majority (if not all) would say Nagy. I have worked for both coaches.

Comment

Here is why this is not a great thread. What is the difference between SDSU as a DI and SDSU as a DII?

1. Recruiting
      2. Budget

SDSU set their men's basketball program up to take a step back by not allocating enough resources at the front end of going DI to make sure the transition was successful. Of the all the sports, SDSU men's basketball was the one that went under the bus for balanced resources for everyone else when the move was made. The men's basketball budget was insufficient from the start and they are still playing catch up. NDSU simply put more money in to it as a DII and even more as a DI. Coach Nagy has been understaffed and is just now getting on equal footing. X's and O's are the same in DII as DI, but the men cannot recruit predominately from 300 miles around Brookings and win. The women can. So you have to find talented out of region players who want to play at Brookings, SD or keep all of the talented regional players. This gets easier now that they have a conference and the move to DI is not going to be held against them. If you live in North Carolina and you can play D1 at Gardner-Webb or DI at SDSU, which do you pick?

I am not an SDSU alum, just a HS coach and fan in South Dakota, but here is my opinion. Scott Nagy is an outstanding person and he is a very good basketball coach in a tough situation professionally. Given the time and resources, his basketball program and SDSU will make a great strides. Under-finance men's basketball and SDSU will have to get lucky to make serious improvements.

Give Nagy the staff and resources to recruit and then judge him by what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Patkran
        I am not an SDSU alum, just a HS coach and fan in South Dakota, but here is my opinion.  Scott Nagy is an outstanding person and he is a very good basketball coach in a tough situation professionally.  Given the time and resources, his basketball program and SDSU will make a great strides.  Under-finance men's basketball and SDSU will have to get lucky to make serious improvements.  

Give Nagy the staff and resources to recruit and then judge him by what happens.  
        Excellent points. I would include a bit of a run of bad luck as a contribution to some of the struggles, too. No excuses offered or expected. Our men's basketball program needs to get better.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue
          This topic (Coach Nagy's ability) has been beaten to death.  You don't think Coach Nagy learned anything about how to be a coach at the D-I level while being a GA on an Illinois team that played in the final 4?  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Soderberg assist Lorenzo Romar at St. Louis after being let go by Wisconsin?  So he had experience at the D-I level under two coaches.  The assistant coaches play a huge role in the recruitment of athletes.  It certainly could not have been an easy job trying to convince athletes to come to Brookings when there was no hope of a conference title or the post-season, while playing a large amount of your games on the road.  Who had more success at State- Soderberg or Nagy?  NAGY!  Talk to the guys who played for both coaches-  who did they enjoy playing for more?  I would say the majority (if not all) would say Nagy.  I have worked for both coaches.

Its not a matter of whether I like or dislike Coach Nagy. I repeat most of his wins have been under D2. Funding is not that big of an issue. When the the head coach and staff you have are not getting the job done in terms of retaining players and whatever else, I think funding does not matter. I would like to see some numbers showing that the Men's BB program was or is underfunded. I dont think any coach at SDSU has earned a free ride. They are accountable for their programs. So what does personal dislike have to do with that judgement. Nothing. How many D1 wins in mens bb do we have? six last year. Gee thats a lot.

Comment

This really had nothing to do with Coach Soderberg's ability to Coach. As I have posted before this is about filling thier new Arena and thinking that what is needed is a big name coach.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...0?OpenDocument

Majerus talks with SLU brass

By Tom Timmermann
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

Rick Majerus made a trip here Saturday and met with St. Louis University officials, including school President, the Rev. Lawrence Biondi, but he's not expected to be staying long and no announcement of his hiring appears to be imminent.

The meeting also was reported by ESPN, where Majerus works as a college basketball analyst. Majerus apparently did not meet with the team, which athletics director Cheryl Levick said would happen before any coach was hired.

ESPN.com said Saturday that Majerus' agent said that the former Utah coach will spend the next 24 to 48 hours deciding if he wants to return to coaching. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Re: Soderberg done at Saint Louis

As you can see the Arena has been a hot topic for some time:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...9?OpenDocument

Did SLU sell its Jesuit soul for a sports arena?

By Tim Townsend
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

St. Louis University, a Jesuit school proud of its Catholic heritage, celebrated a legal victory last week that affirmed it is not controlled by the Catholic church or by its Catholic beliefs.

The Missouri Supreme Court agreed with the school in handing down a decision that the city of St. Louis did not violate state and federal constitutions by granting the university $8 million in tax increment financing for its new arena.

Opponents of the $80 million arena sued the school in 2004, halting construction.

The Missouri Constitution prohibits public funding to support any "… college, university, or other institution of learning controlled by any religious creed, church or sectarian denomination whatever."

The debate came down to two words: "control" and "creed." Does the guiding mission of a Catholic university align with the specific system of religious faith espoused by the Catholic church? And if so, does that system of faith control the actions of the university?

In a 6-1 decision, the court said SLU "is not controlled by a religious creed." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                I would like to see some numbers showing that the Men's BB program was or is underfunded. I dont think any coach at SDSU has earned a free ride. They are accountable for their programs.
                These are taken from Midmajority.com.  They are for 2006.  I am making an assumption they are close to correct

308.  South Dakota State  $531,199    270.  North Dakota State  $716,631

308 out of 331 is not going to get it done if we do intend to be an NCAA team.  As far as Nagy having a free ride, he will stay or go based on his record.  However, I think he also deserves the resources to be live up to expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                  I hear this on the radio this morning.  After reading the story it makes you wonder if SLU wants to hire a "big name" coach to bring in the donars.   :-?

Go State!  

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/...042707aaa.html

Majerus Named Head Coach
                  Rick Majerus will lead the Billikens into the 2007-08 season.

April 27, 2007

ST. LOUIS - Saint Louis University President Lawrence Biondi, S.J., announced today that Rick Majerus will be the new Billikens head men's basketball coach. Prior to working as a college basketball analyst for ESPN for the last three years, Majerus amassed a 422-147 career head coaching record and took his teams to the postseason 15 times.

The University will hold an on-campus news conference at 10 a.m. Monday, April 30, to formally announce Majerus' appointment. The news conference will be held in Busch Student Center, 20 N. Grand Blvd. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

What ever the reasoning they sure got them a heck of a coach. Im glad he turned downt the USC job a year or two ago, and i think he can make it back up to the ranks of a high profile coach if he wants too. Personally I like him as a broadcaster for espn. espcicially when the team was on OOOOfense.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

http://www.benmaller.com/college_rumors_notes#140695
                      Rick Majerus' hiring and the impending opening of an $80 million campus arena, Missouri Valley Conference commissioner Doug Elgin said, figure to "change everything for St. Louis University. Not just basketball, but the profile of the university." Another drastic change in the landscape could be part of his instant impact. Majerus is believed to be pushing a SLU move from the Atlantic 10 to the MVC.

Comment

Working...
                      X