X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD fans being set up for a fall

Originally posted by Blue
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70502035
    David Herbster has been named associate athletics director at the University of South Dakota and director of development at the USD Foundation.

The 1991 Virginia Tech grad served as assistant to the chancellor and director of athletics at Nebraska-Omaha from 2005-2007.
    I believe UNO's problems have been passed on to USD. ;D
    Herbster was also a finalist for the AD job at Minnesota State-Moorhead and apparently did not get that job. I think the problems at UNO were beyond this man's control. The Chancellor and her assistant ran things and I dont think Herbster could much about what was going on.  I could be wrong, but it seems the UNO ADMIN kept taping into reserves to cover deficits until the Board of Regents blew the whistle. No one wanted to do anything about their deficit problems until it was too late.

USD comparet to SDSU has had a very small support staff in the athletic department. They had no compliance officer until one was recently hired. This means some coach or some other person did this work like a coach maybe or these things did not get down.  There are many details that USD needs have staff in order to get the move to D1 off the ground. Just based on what was published, it appears Herbster will be in a function similar to Keith Mehlum.

So maybe this hire of Herbster is not necessary UNO's problems moving north.

Comment

If I remember this right, Herbster inherited the problems in the UNO athletic dept from his predecessor, walked right into a hornets' nest. You are right that Chancellor Belk and her right hand man ran things in that athletic dept (by ran I mean used the depts. money for expensive trips, dinners, and country club memberships) and tied Herbsters hands. The problems at UNO were not of Herbsters doing but he was one of the faces that took the fall.

Either way, Herbster isn't in any position where he is calling any shots. He'll be a director at the Foundation reporting to the VP and associate AD reporting to Nielson. Basically, he is there to raise cash. At least he has some D1 experience in dealing with UNO's hockey program.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53
        If I remember this right, Herbster inherited the problems in the UNO athletic dept from his predecessor, walked right into a hornets' nest. You are right that Chancellor Belk and her right hand man ran things in that athletic dept (by ran I mean used the depts. money for expensive trips, dinners, and country club memberships) and tied Herbsters hands. The problems at UNO were not of Herbsters doing but he was one of the faces that took the fall.

Either way, Herbster isn't in any position where he is calling any shots. He'll be a director at the Foundation reporting to the VP and associate AD reporting to Nielson. Basically, he is there to raise cash. At least he has some D1 experience in dealing with UNO's hockey program.
        I've heard only good things out of Omaha about Herbster and that he had nothing to do with uno's mess. Other than, I suppose, if he would have brought in millions and millions more $$, the spending habits of the other two yahoos would have been less noticeable.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Somehow I think Warren Buffet couldn't have brought in enough $$ for those two.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
            Somehow I think Warren Buffet couldn't have brought in enough $$ for those two.
            HAHAHA!!! ;D

So true!

Comment

The AD seems to be little out of the loop on where scholarship money is going.

He might want to find those numbers.

(From the article)

The main objectives for the plan included roster management, adding 19 female athletic scholarships, adding staff members, enhancing the women's sports recruiting budget and focusing on gender equity.

"I don't know if we exactly hit the 19 scholarships, but we've gotten to the point where our athletic financial assistance aid from a gender standpoint is at a proportion that is in compliance with the Title IX issues," Nielsen said. "So what we've been able to do is balance out the additional scholarships on the women's side to get us in that safe zone."

Nielsen said the only sports that did not get any new scholarships were women's basketball and volleyball.

"I believe both golf and women's tennis started to receive their initial scholarship money because of this plan," Nielsen said. "All of our women's programs have benefited other than volleyball and basketball and the only reason they haven't is because they were at their full scholarship allotment."

http://media.www.volanteonline.com/m...-2891311.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                [quote author=SDSUcks link=1178110217/0#12 date=1178167870][quote author=1stRowFANatic link=1178110217/0#10 date=1178165012]If Dr. Oien said it once, he said it a hundred times, "You don't ask to get in, you wait to get your invite." However, that does not mean you put out a "woe is me" statement. I think Nielson probably will pull back a little bit in his comments, but not too much. I think he definitely will need to learn to leave the years out of the comments. He has set the bar as 09 for the Mid-Con, and as the past few years have shown everyone across the country, no one knows what conferences will look like that far out. That could help or hurt USD.
                That not exactly true about not asking to get in.  The remaining four NCC teams requested to get into the Northern Sun and they got in.  There is nothing wrong with letting it be known of your intentions.  I would rather make that mistake then making the mistake of not saying anything and having a prospective conference not know of your interest.  I have still yet to hear that USD is saying they will (not hope to) get into a particular conference and when that will be.  Don't look into things so much.    
                [/quote]

First of all there is a big difference between the Northern Sun and the Mid-Con, the Northern Sun was second tear to the NCC in D-II and will take the NCC bottom feaders with open arms. Second of all USD could of informed the conference with out publically announcing it. If USD is trying to get into the Mid-Con they should of been as quiet about it as possible. The Mid-Con will have 3 new members next year who faced hell in the independent ranks and the XDSU's are not about to let a team that could of moved to the D-I ranks with them but chose not to allowed into a conference so easily. Of course I could be way offline maybe its already a done deal but I doubt it.. Basketball is the major money maker in the conference and with NDSU's mens and SDSU's womens success in victories and attendence figures would make me believe that the Mid-Con would give them a say in all of this and I don't see either school supporting USD or UND into the conference.[/quote]

I think you are forgetting it is the Presidents that vote on conference expansion.  Of course SDSU and NDSU will have a say.  Academically and athletically, USD and UND will have to impress the league presidents.  Not the athletic administration or it boosters/ alumni.  President Chicoine was not here during the SDSU/ USD fallout.  I do not think he has a grudge against USD.  Regardless the Mid-Con will do what is best for the Mid-Con.  

"Sometimes to get the girl- all you have to do is ask".  However, USD decides to approach the Mid-Con or any other conference is up to them.
                We...ARE...STATE!
                SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

D-Town,

I hear what you are saying about sometimes all you have to do is ask the pretty girl to dance but that is assuming that USD and UND are "pretty girls" in this case. I'm not going to fire that part up in this post.

I'm sure that Dr. Chicoine has been brought up to speed on the relations between SDSU and USD. If USD is going to be counting on any help from us then they are making a mistake. My guess is there won't be anything done to hinder them like they did to us but there certainly won't be a life ring tossed into the water from SDSU.

There still hasn't been anything out there really talking about their plan to succeed in the move up. Sure, there's been a couple of quotes here and there but no defined plan that I have seen. My suspicion is that they really have no idea what they are getting into from a compliance standpoint. Take the article in the Argus the other day talking about our academic performance that takes into account a lot of different things (GPA, APR, departures, etc.). It takes a full time person to wade through all of that and make sure things are going well. It's a lot more than Title IX. I hope their leadership is prepared for everything, haven't seen that yet!

I hope they find a home and catch a couple of breaks like SDSU did. That is good for the state. The die hard Jackrabbit fan in me wants them to suffer a while but it is more important that they succeed.

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X