Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All is not good in the Big Sky and Montana Sta

Originally posted by tcbison
    [quote author=jackmd link=1179627356/0#9 date=1180715598][quote author=tcbison link=1179627356/0#8 date=1180715003][quote author=jackrabbitdw link=1179627356/0#4 date=1180557063]Jeff Culhane is reporting on KVTK that Ed Meierkort is one of the 7 finalists for the MSU job, Kevin Culhane sounds depressed, near suicide. Kevin Culhane is saying that Dale Lennon is also on of the finalists.
    I would think that Dale Lennon has a much better chance at landing the MSU job than Ed Meierkort. [/quote]

I'm guessing it will have a lot to do with who wants the job or who wants to leave their current institution as much as who MSU sees as the best candidate.  Does that make any sense?[/quote]

Well, Dale Lennon is one of the four finalists. Unless, Ed Meierkort withdrew his name he wasn't selected among the final four.
    [/quote]

I think Dale Lennon has a great shot at the job. Here is why I think so. Stig and Dale were on the coaching staff together at Northern quite a few years ago. They are still very good friends and both have a strong spiritual life and a high sense of moral standards. Montana State and the short article I read in the Fargo Forum suggests that MSU needs someone who can coach and build up the sense of responsiblity off the field and to correct the academic issues.

Since Lennon became head coach at UND, we have heard very little about UND football members creating problems off the field, but like everyone else they have had a few incidents. I suspect Coach Lennon has dealt with these situations in a fair and equitable manner. There have been some class individuals to come out of the UND program.

I think Coach Lennon would immediately rectifiy some of the academic issues that the former coach and staff seemed to ignore. In my opinion other heads should roll besides the coaching staff, ie compliance officers and staff, AD. Where were these folks when the academic problems developed and what did they do help correct the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
      Isn't that and some what SDSU and NDSU have already done during their transition years.  USD is more than capable of being a middle of the pack FCS program.  Remember USD is currently better off and has more momentum than SDSU when they were in this position.  
      So young and so naive, with age will come understanding. As for Meirkort, not nearly as qualified as the other finalists. Does that mean he is a fixture at USD? Don't know. He has done one heck of a job in the "new" DII.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
        [quote author=West-River_Jack link=1179627356/0#12 date=1180981941][quote author=jacks#1fan link=1179627356/0#11 date=1180978370]He didn't withdraw it. He just failed to make the list of finalists. Am sure he would like to get the heck out of Verminville with the tough sledding he has ahead of him in the move to D-1.
        He may or may not be in a hurry to get out of USD.  Unless he speaks only he will know that for certain.  On the other hand, if he is able to make the transition to DI with a reasonable amount of success he will be an attractive candidate for a more prestigious program.  As to what qualifies for reasonable success I can only speculate.  Coaching USD to a middle of the pack finish in the FCS Subdivision during the transition years may be regarded by some as a near miracle.[/quote]

Isn't that and some what SDSU and NDSU have already done during their transition years.  USD is more than capable of being a middle of the pack FCS program.  Remember USD is currently better off and has more momentum than SDSU when they were in this position.  [/quote]

Why do you feel USD is more capable of being a middle of the pack FCS program? Don't forget any kind of momentum USD has generated came after three schools who they had a hard team beating left the conference SDSU,NDSU,UNC. USD has certainly improved, but talk is cheap and we will see how your able to compete against a full FCS Schedule. Last years game against provisional FCS opponent Central Arkansas did not bode well for your theory. We will see how you do this year at McNeese State a team the Jacks beat in 2006 20-17 in St Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
          [quote author=SDSUcks link=1179627356/0#13 date=1181003301][quote author=West-River_Jack link=1179627356/0#12 date=1180981941][quote author=jacks#1fan link=1179627356/0#11 date=1180978370]He didn't withdraw it. He just failed to make the list of finalists. Am sure he would like to get the heck out of Verminville with the tough sledding he has ahead of him in the move to D-1.
          He may or may not be in a hurry to get out of USD.  Unless he speaks only he will know that for certain.  On the other hand, if he is able to make the transition to DI with a reasonable amount of success he will be an attractive candidate for a more prestigious program.  As to what qualifies for reasonable success I can only speculate.  Coaching USD to a middle of the pack finish in the FCS Subdivision during the transition years may be regarded by some as a near miracle.[/quote]

Isn't that and some what SDSU and NDSU have already done during their transition years.  USD is more than capable of being a middle of the pack FCS program.  Remember USD is currently better off and has more momentum than SDSU when they were in this position.  [/quote]

Why do you feel USD is more capable of being a middle of the pack FCS program? Don't forget any kind of momentum USD has generated came after three schools who they had a hard team beating left the conference SDSU,NDSU,UNC. USD has certainly improved, but talk is cheap and we will see how your able to compete against a full FCS Schedule. Last years game against provisional FCS opponent Central Arkansas did not bode well for your theory. We will see how you do this year at McNeese State a team the Jacks beat in 2006 20-17 in St Charles.[/quote]

Alot of other things do bode well for my theory though. SDSU lost at UNI, UND won at UNI and UND was beaten fairly soundly at USD. I don't care what USD did against the lower rung NCC teams. UNO and UND just to name a couple have not regressed as programs since SDSU left the conference. USD played those teams well, probably better than SDSU played those programs before leaving. USD has blown UNO off the field the last two times they have played. If you want to discount that it's up to you but also don't be surprised if the Coyotes are competitive in D1. If you look at the majority of factors and D2 successes against FCS programs (which by the way were almost always played on the road) USD is very capable of having relatively good success at the FCS level. USD's last four games last year were against UNO, UND, Northwood and Grand Valley with 3 of the 4 on the road. USD went 2-2 in those games. Not many programs win at UND and/or at Grand Valley. Those last 4 games are obviously very tough games that would be D1 FCS worthy type teams in my opinion. USD also has one of the toughest D2 schedules in the nation next season and they are going on the road for a good share of them. The end of last year and next year will prepare USD all the more for the jump to D1. I am not gauranteeing anything great in the next couple of years but to try to downplay USD and their program isn't a very smart bet either.

Comment

Give it a rest Ucks. You can try to talk about how "great" USD is now and how that will coorelate into DIAA success (sorry, it's still IAA in my mind), but until the Yotes step on the field with some real IAA teams and prove themselves no one will care (we won't care then either). The biggest problem USD will face is recruiting the quality athletes needed to compete. In DII, the local boys are good enough, but to get the needed bodies over the top Vermillion and the Grain Bin aren't going to be great selling points.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Actually it is D-I Football Championship Subdivision or FCS not I-AA.

Go State!

Comment

According to posters on Montana State's fan message board, UND's Lennon was offered the football job and turned it down!  The Bobcat Nation has to be close to despondent at this point.

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbo...ic.php?t=10477

One poster referred to still being on an "emotional free fall". Good description!

I'm not at all sympathetic to either Montana school and whatever problems they may encounter, the rotten contract-cancelling chickens.

Comment

Looks like it is Ash from Drake:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...16/1003/SPORTS

Drake's Ash tells players he's leaving

June 9, 2007

Drake football coach Rob Ash told his players today that he's accepted the head coaching job at Montana State, running back Scott Phaydavong told the Register.

Ash coached the Bulldogs for 18 seasons. Montana State officials said they will introduce their new coach at noon Monday. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                  X