Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oklahoma City University moving up to D-I

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    One of the things that struck me from the story is that OCU thinks they need $9 million without football to be competitive.  A much larger total then our friends from the south think they need with football.  I wonder who is right?   ;D

Go State!  
    I think the differences between OCU and USD are very signficant. This is where Carr and Assoicates are needed in both cases to study what they have, develop some idea of what they can do and what they need to. It might after being studied by Carr that both need 10 million more. Every new thing needed has a price tag and it adds up as we all know.

OCU is a city run university that could get the MAPS money, but the Mayor seems to have other ideas. They seem less organized than USD. I am not tooting my horn for USD, but give them credit, they have a foundation. Nothing was mentioned that OCU has. Interesting the AD at OCU is named Jim Abbott.

I think the adminstration at OCU needs to get their city government behind the D1 move. The city benefits from the move more than any other unit. I think having a D1 Power in Normal 40 miles away is not helpful in building interest. How do you compete under those circumstances?
    Both USD AND OCU institutions have one thing in common and that is they have to approach D1 very carefully and have a very good business plan. Otherwise it could get very messy.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
      I continually wonder what the future holds about DI.  Will more schools make the switch so that eventually, DIII and DII and the NAIA can barely function?  I think it's a fluid situation which is just another reason why SDSU and NDSU were smart to make the move when they did.  Will some try to impose limits in the future?  At least we'll be a full-fledged DI school, with a place at the table if discussions take place.
      I believe there are some NAIA and D2 AND D3, that will stay put. Amongst the private schools, like Augustana, the resources and the admin will is not there to make the move. The big dance money can be divided so many times. I do think that if more schools make the move, the current membership will tighten the reins on additional members. Its about revenue sharing you bet.

Comment

OCU is a United Methodist University. Thus the reason that Oklahoma City's mayor doesn't want to give them taxpayer money.

http://www.okcu.edu/

Go State!

Comment

Coach Ray Harper can flat out coach. Won 2 national titles at Kentucky Wesleyan in D2 and again at OKC last year in the NAIA. That guy can recruit and he can coach. They may be under funded but I would never bet against coach harper. I would bet they will be more competitive in d1 men's bb than many think under ray harper.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            OCU is a United Methodist University.  Thus the reason that Oklahoma City's mayor doesn't want to give them taxpayer money.

http://www.okcu.edu/

Go State!  
            Sorry I did not look at their webpage very closely, but had the impression they were a municipal supported institution. I see their tuition before other fees is $9,800 per semester. Looks like its as costly as the Augustana Advantage.

http://www.okcu.edu/financialaid/tuition.asp

It also explains why the mayor has other thoughts. Looks like a major project for fund raising.

Comment

Isn't $4 million per year pretty high for NAIA?

Comment

No, the NAIA is a much looser group in terms of rules. It would be interesting to see the detail on the 4 million budget. Looking at the tuition cost, for which I posted the link, I believe it cost the athlete depart 25 thousand for each full ride.

If they offer 40 or more scholarships each year, we have 1 million or more just in scholarship costs.

I know of a one instance that involved a grand nephew of mine and a small Kanas school that recruited him. They went to Houstan Texas where my grand nephew lived and recruited him. Later on I checked this school web site and found that they had signed nearly 50 people including JUCO'S high school what have you for that given year. So not many restrictions on travel and number of potential recruits.

I don't know anything about Ray Harper the basketball coach, but if he has got cracker jack players and won the NAIA Championship I would venture to say that he has spent a great deal of money on travel and what have you to land the guys he has on his team.

Comment

Working...
                X