USD Yesterday's Argus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Yesterday's Argus

I suppose this topic could start in "Around South Dakota, but I thought it might better fit here. Moderators I am sure will adjust accordingly. Its about Ted Muenster retiring from USD. It talks about USD mostly. Muenster is described by the Argus as the President of the Foundation. I am not sure but I believe Executive Director of the USD Foundation is a more fitting job description. It includes a few quotes from David  Marquart of SDSU Foundation, who I believe is offically the Executive Director. The difference is that that Executive Director is a full time employee and the President, is elected by the board of directors. None-the-less some feelings of Muenster and his preception of athletics pops out.

LINK

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...707160328/1001

Move to Division I prompts changes
    USD Foundation's leader to step back

By Melanie Brandert
    mbrander@argusleader.com
    Published: July 16, 2007
    The University of South Dakota Foundation's president, who recently completed a record fundraising campaign, will step away from full-time duties Jan. 1.

Ted Muenster, who has held his position for 10 years, said he will switch to part-time status in another area of the foundation for at least three years and then retire.

Through the years, Muenster has been prominent in Democratic politics in South Dakota, acting as former Gov. Richard Kneip's chief of staff and campaigning for the U.S. Senate in 1990 against former Sen. Larry Pressler. He also was a partner in a public opinion and market research firm before taking his job with the foundation.

USD's eventual move to Division I athletics appeared to play a role in the move Muenster said the foundation has a new athletic fundraising emphasis.

"There should be someone with more experience with athletic fundraising," he said.

The foundation hired David Herbster as new athletic development director. He started two months ago, but one person cannot do the job, Muenster said. The entire organization must be involved.

Muenster says athletics are overemphasized, and he hopes that athletics will not overshadow academic fundraising.

"Once you're in Division I competition, pressure mounts to win, and financial pressures are greater. We'll have to see how it all plays out," he said.

Muenster's decision comes about two months after the foundation announced it set a state university record of nearly $134 million for Campaign South Dakota, an eight-year campaign to raise money for academic scholarships, buildings and academic programs, faculty support and general use.

Though rumors abound that health issues might have factored into Muenster's decision, he said that's not the case.

"This was decided over a year ago," Muenster said. "It is not a new thing - the board and executive committee have known."

Although, Muenster laughingly said, "The job can drive you nuts."

Paying for sports
    USD President Jim Abbott praised Muenster.

(Read More)

Re: USD Yesterday's Argus

Muenster does have some interesting comments on USD's move to D-I.

Like we've all said before.  One of the biggest reasons that the D-I move has been successfull for SDSU is because the Admin of SDSU both Athletic and Acedemic realized that the move will benefit everyone involved with SDSU.  
    It looks like this will continue to be a question mark at USD and this article doesn't do a whole lot to disprove that there isn't a riff between athletics and acedemics down south.  Mr. Muenster obviously has no interest in fundraising for athletics at USD.

They might want to figure it out...soon!

Go Jacks!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Does anyone else suppose that Mr. Muenster's opinions on moving to DI have anything to do with the recently completed Campaign South Dakota fund raising drive? I would guess some comments like "here at USD we care about academics more than academics than athletics. Please make your check payable to the USD foundation."

The move to DI could make him look pretty silly depending on what sales tactics they used when getting all those financial commitments.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
        Does anyone else suppose that Mr. Muenster's opinions on moving to DI have anything to do with the recently completed Campaign South Dakota fund raising drive?  I would guess some comments like "here at USD we care about academics more than academics than athletics.  Please make your check payable to the USD foundation."

The move to DI could make him look pretty silly depending on what sales tactics they used when getting all those financial commitments.
        Trust me, Muenster and Abbott aren't worried about looking silly. They'll do or say whatever it takes to get the check. I'd like to think its different at the SDSU foundation but I'm not sure. I haven't donated what I consider a large amount, not yet anyways.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the role Mr. Herbster plays going forward and depending what kind of cooperation he receives will determine were they are term of raising funds for the athletic department. Will he exceed the efforts of Keith Melhum? Keith has worked very hard and I dont see him as a pressure guy, but friendly and helpful.

Another question that crosses my mind and that is the Mr Postrello mentioned? Is he USD'S Sid Bostic? Will he help in approaching the potential big donors and what will be his success?

I not surprised with jackmd comment about Abbott and Munester looking silly or asking for a check. They seemed to have used every political connection they had throughout the state to make their 128 million dollar goal.

My experience with the SDSU Foundation is that by and large they are not pressure people. They are there to work with you when you feel generous, but they let you make the final decision. I think that is one reason the Annual report from the foundation has tons of stories about people starting Guarenteed Academic scholarships. Its about tax planning for the donor and a great cause for the University which alums like myself feel good about.

Comment

Working...
          X