USD might start playing GWFC schools in 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD might start playing GWFC schools in 2008

The Disturbance in the Force tells me that this may degenerate into smack.

Resist the dark side, people.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just wanted to add that it's not yet been decided whether UND & USD will play a full round-robin schedule for 2008. CP & UCD are uneasy with the idea of two non-counters on the schedule, and the GWFC may still decide to stay with the 2of3 format that was announced late this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith
        Just wanted to add that it's not yet been decided whether UND & USD will play a full round-robin schedule for 2008. CP & UCD are uneasy with the idea of two non-counters on the schedule, and the GWFC may still decide to stay with the 2of3 format that was announced late this spring.
        I'm really confused why Cal Poly and UC Davis would even play one non-counter game. Wouldn't it be in their better interests to schedule another non-conference game that is going to help them beef their schedule in hopes of making the playoffs? Maybe I'm missing something???

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
          [quote author=Hammersmith link=1179334354/15#16 date=1186354573]Just wanted to add that it's not yet been decided whether UND & USD will play a full round-robin schedule for 2008. CP & UCD are uneasy with the idea of two non-counters on the schedule, and the GWFC may still decide to stay with the 2of3 format that was announced late this spring.
          I'm really confused why Cal Poly and UC Davis would even play one non-counter game. Wouldn't it be in their better interests to schedule another non-conference game that is going to help them beef their schedule in hopes of making the playoffs? Maybe I'm missing something???[/quote]
          I can think of some reasons:
          1) they need to fill their schedule. The whole rationale for the GWFC from the California schools' point of view is it locks in some games that otherwise they might be playing in the deep south or on the east coast.
          2) They want to help UND and USD in the transition--exactly the same way they wanted to help NDSU and SDSU, and for the exact same reason (that reason being point 1 above). The quicker the Dakota schools of the GWFC get competitive in D-I, the better it is for the California schools.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
            [quote author=BTownJack link=1179334354/15#17 date=1186358832][quote author=Hammersmith link=1179334354/15#16 date=1186354573]Just wanted to add that it's not yet been decided whether UND & USD will play a full round-robin schedule for 2008. CP & UCD are uneasy with the idea of two non-counters on the schedule, and the GWFC may still decide to stay with the 2of3 format that was announced late this spring.
            I'm really confused why Cal Poly and UC Davis would even play one non-counter game.  Wouldn't it be in their better interests to schedule another non-conference game that is going to help them beef their schedule in hopes of making the playoffs?  Maybe I'm missing something???[/quote]
            I can think of some reasons:
            1) they need to fill their schedule.  The whole rationale for the GWFC from the California schools' point of view is it locks in some games that otherwise they might be playing in the deep south or on the east coast.
            2) They want to help UND and USD in the transition--exactly the same way they wanted to help NDSU and SDSU, and for the exact same reason (that reason being point 1 above).   The quicker the Dakota schools of the GWFC get competitive in D-I, the better it is for the California schools.

[/quote]

UC Davis and Cal Poly are class acts. They're great universities with outstanding football programs and great fans. They helped us through the transition and good for them for doing the right thing for USD/UND and not forcing those schools to wait an extra year to join the conference. Plus, we all know what good people Commissioner Douple and his staff are. Good for all the parties involved for taking the long-term view of this situation.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
            X