Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA 4-year Moratorium

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/category/sdsu/

From T.V.'s blog. Can you say "Dumb Luck" on the part of the UxD's.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: NCAA 4-year Moratorium

Trusting Terry here, I am sure we will get more information on the rule passed. He says its not like to affect either USD or SDSU. As long as USD paid their fee and filed their application, they should be okay. If not? who knows.

Comment

The release on the NCAA site says that the 20 instititutions currently transitioning are not affected.

Unfortunately for USD, they are not currently listed by the NCAA as one of those 20 institutions. So it's unclear to me if USD is in or out at the moment.

NCAA press release

NCAA membership status page
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

upon further review:
        Seven schools on the NCAA's reclassification page will be full D-I next year:
        Multidivision:
        Francis Marion (W Soccer, M Golf)
        NJIT (W Soccer)
        Renssleaer Polytechnic Institute (W hockey)
        Rochester Institute of Technology (M Hockey)
        Full D-I:
        Longwood
        UC Davis
        Northern Colorado.

Seven schools apparently aren't yet on the NCAA's reclass page (come on, NCAA, pick it up, already!)
        SIU-E
        UND
        USD
        Seattle
        Houston Baptist
        Bryant
        New Haven
        All are entering their exploratory year in 2007-08.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Portions of the NCAA site are far behind so it is a little confusing.  However, the timing of the announcement has to mean that those schools who met the recent deadline -- presumably that includes UND and USD -- are in ahead of the new moratorium.  Clarification from the NCAA so that there is no mistake would be nice.

Added later:
          I have sent e-mail to the NCAA asking the specific question of whether the moratorium affects UND and USD. I will post any response I receive. From a plain reading of the press release, I conclude UND and USD are NOT affected by the moratorium.

Comment

Look at the other schools on this list. Further proof that both the UxD's and xDSU's should have made this move in the eighties.

Should reduce a few more options for the Great West, though. No need to speculate on Western Washington or Central Washington.

Comment

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/gove...fo/Status_Page

????????????????

This page would make me very nervous if I were a usdII fan.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

They haven't updated it since last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
                  Look at the other schools on this list.  Further proof that both the UxD's and xDSU's should have made this move in the eighties.  

Should reduce a few more options for the Great West, though.  No need to speculate on Western Washington or Central Washington.  
                  I would agree, even the late 1970's when UNI made the move, of course SDSU would have still been blamed for breaking up the NCC.

Interesting though how Western and Central Washington have enrollement equal to or greater than SDSU. The community support probably is not there for a move to D1. Both just moved up from NAIA to D2 not to long ago.

Comment

Argus web story: USD AD, Neilsen: moratorium does not affect USD.
                    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70810030

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                      Argus web story: USD AD, Neilsen:  moratorium does not affect USD.
                      I haven't seen anything concrete from the NCAA that confirms what Neilsen is saying. I don't have any reason to doubt him, just saying nothing official (at least not that I've read) confirms that USD will be unaffected.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                        Argus web story: USD AD, Neilsen:  moratorium does not affect USD.
                        Intersting choice of words ".........we don't anticipate......."

an·tic·i·pate (n-ts-pt)
                        v. an·tic·i·pat·ed, an·tic·i·pat·ing, an·tic·i·pates
                        v.tr.
                        1. To feel or realize beforehand; foresee: hadn't anticipated the crowds at the zoo.
                        2. To look forward to, especially with pleasure; expect: anticipated a pleasant hike in the country.
                        3. To deal with beforehand; act so as to mitigate, nullify, or prevent: anticipated the storm by boarding up the windows. See Synonyms at expect.
                        4. To cause to happen in advance; accelerate.
                        5. To use in advance, as income not yet available.
                        6. To pay (a debt) before it is due.
                        v.intr.
                        To think, speak, or write about a matter in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have never anticipated anything worthwhile down at usdII!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Here is an interesting article discussing the 4-year Moratorium

http://insidehighered.com/news/2007/08/15/ncaa

Go State!!!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Thank God that SDSU is almost through this process, because IMO the NCAA is not only going to keep this moretorium in place after 2011, but I have a feeling there may be something on the horizon in the way of tougher standards for the early transitioning schools such as our friends to the south.
                            It's going to make for some interesting discussion.

Again...Dr. Oien and Dr. Miller...Thank You for your proactive thinking!!

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              Thank God that SDSU is almost through this process, because IMO the NCAA is not only going to keep this moretorium in place after 2011, but I have a feeling there may be something on the horizon in the way of tougher standards for the early transitioning schools such as our friends to the south.
                              It's going to make for some interesting discussion.

Again...Dr. Oien and Dr. Miller...Thank You for your proactive thinking!!

Go Jacks!!
                              I wouldn't be surprised if, in four years, the NCAA increased the minimum number of scholarships that D-I schools are required to offer for non-revenue sports, and also possibly raising the number of non-revenue sports required in D-I.

SDSU's effort to provide a wide and broad D-I athletic program is exactly what the NCAA wants to see. There are some schools that really just offer a D-I men's basketball program and not much else. These are the ones that the NCAA is concerned about, I think.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X