X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Thomas being "forced" out?

Some interesting stuff.

http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas...a-m/510270892/

I had to read the comments as I knew nothing about this.

Re: St. Thomas being "forced" out?

Embarrassment by the MIAC for kicking a member out for being too good. Literally have never heard it done before.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
      Embarrassment by the MIAC for kicking a member out for being too good. Literally have never heard it done before.
      Kind of like the ESD and the Sioux Falls schools.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Kind of like the ESD and the Sioux Falls schools.
        That is exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

The school president's news release cited it's twin cities location as making it attractive to"several" conferences, which is true. The Tommies are within bussing distance of many WIAC and NSIC schools. WIAC is a distinct possibility and would allow the Tommies to stay DIII, and preserve their rivalry with St Johns. NSIC is certainly a fit geographically and the Tommies would be immediately competitive. However, the NSIC and DII are just plain dirty. But Tommy hockey would need to move to DI. The Tommies could look long view here, and make the jump to DI. The Tommies would look good in the Summit but the MVC might agree and make an incursion into the twin cities. Pioneer league for football and WCHA for hockey.

Comment

They can't go directly from D3 to D1. You have to go through to D2 first. I think at a minimum it is about a 9 year process to get from D3 to D1 to become full D1 eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
              They can't go directly from D3 to D1. You have to go through to D2 first. I think at a minimum it is about a 9 year process to get from D3 to D1 to become full D1 eligible.
              Thus the "long view."

Comment

This is really sad that this can even happen. Shame on the MIAC. I'm sure there is more to the story but the little I've read it is just because they are too good, their enrollment is too big and they have too much money. If you can't beat, get rid of 'em I guess......(SMH).

Comment

Some discussion on the NSIC (D2) thread that St. Thomas is appealing going directly to DI to the NCAA since they were forced out--and more discussion that this is impossible with rule changes. Even some talk of trying to go directly to the Big East since they fit as a Catholic school in a major metro area-- that speculation is, of course, nuts. Still think they're going to the NSIC or the WIAA, but hopefully Douple is monitoring this, and talking. For some reason the WAC seems much more proactive in pulling strings in order to stay alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                    Some discussion on the NSIC (D2) thread that St. Thomas is appealing going directly to DI to the NCAA since they were forced out--and more discussion that this is impossible with rule changes. Even some talk of trying to go directly to the Big East since they fit as a Catholic school in a major metro area-- that speculation is, of course, nuts. Still think they're going to the NSIC or the WIAA, but hopefully Douple is monitoring this, and talking. For some reason the WAC seems much more proactive in pulling strings in order to stay alive.
                    IMO...this is not nuts at all. Being “forced” out of the MIAC will, in the end no be the best thing that will ever happen to StThomas. If they pour all their $$’s into Men’s BB, ala Creighton, they’ll no doubt be in the Big East within the next 10-15 years.
                    The only one this move will really suck for is unfortunately, St Johns football as that classic MN rivalry game will go away.
                    The rest of the MIAC and their participation ribbon mentality apparently didn’t care.

UM Gopher BB...welcome to your worst nightmare, hopefully it will make your ADdept wake up, but I seriously doubt.
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                      I was surprised that the enrollment topped 10,000 this past year. I am not surprised that little Augsburg somewhere nearby and St. Olaf voted them out. St Thomas is definitely on a different path. A direct path to the The Big East seems overly ambitious, especially if they bypass Summit when campus is located on Summit Avenue.

Comment

Working...
                      X