Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMKC Studying Athletics Future

http://info.umkc.edu/unews/athletics...-issue-report/

UMKC is studying the future role of athletics. The options are dropping intercollegiate athletics, dropping to D2 or changing conferences. Will be interesting to see what happens. The report is due out anyday.

Re: UMKC Studying Athletics Future

If I were UMKC and were favoring staying in D-I I would do the following:

1) Start a baseball program. Kansas City is a baseball town.
    2) Start a FCS football program. Yes, we're talking about a lot of $ but they would occupy a unique niche. If they had done this five years ago, it probably would have caught on, but unfortunately for them, Kansas (KC's true home-town college team--sorry, K-State and Mizzou) looks like it's on the upswing football-wise so that window might be closing.
    3) Re-join the Summit League. A regional league that (due in large part to the Dakota schools and, admittedly, UNO) is on the upswing for the only sport that really matters for non-football leagues: men's basketball.

The decision to go to the WAC from the Summit League is utterly unfathomable, if UMKC is having problems funding its athletic programs. The WAC for UMKC is a pure flight league, whereas the Summit is a bus/flight league. No question which one is less expensive.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      If I were UMKC and were favoring staying in D-I I would do the following:

1) Start a baseball program. Kansas City is a baseball town.
      2) Start a FCS football program. Yes, we're talking about a lot of $ but they would occupy a unique niche. If they had done this five years ago, it probably would have caught on, but unfortunately for them, Kansas (KC's true home-town college team--sorry, K-State and Mizzou) looks like it's on the upswing football-wise so that window might be closing.
      3) Re-join the Summit League. A regional league that (due in large part to the Dakota schools and, admittedly, UNO) is on the upswing for the only sport that really matters for non-football leagues: men's basketball.

The decision to go to the WAC from the Summit League is utterly unfathomable, if UMKC is having problems funding its athletic programs. The WAC for UMKC is a pure flight league, whereas the Summit is a bus/flight league. No question which one is less expensive.
      UMKC has an excellent dance program. I know a family from Fergus Falls MN who have a daughter who is interested in ballet, and visited the UMKC and was very impressed. UMKC will likely gain one because of their dance program. Athletes does not have a good record at UMKC, possibly Filbert suggestion would work. Worth a try

Comment

Does anyone know how UMKC was doing, Athletics budget wise, before they left for the WAC and when they were a member of the Summit league? No doubt ,joining the WAC was a big mistake in my opinion. Think back when Candice Whitaker was head coach at UMKC (now HC at Tex Tech ) and how close they came to an NCAA Tournament trip they were, the Jacks winning on a last second failed FG attempt by the Kangaroos. Everone wants to complain about the advantage the Jacks and Yotes enjoy by having the tournament in Sioux Falls, that may be true, but there haven't been too many dominate wins in the championship games in the SL Tournaments history since 2008. Western Illinois just won it last year in WBB, playing against IUPUI no less. Nothing's a guarantee when you play against equal caliber teams, no matter where.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          Does anyone know how UMKC was doing,Athletics budget wise,before they left for the WAC and when they were a member of the Summit league? No doubt ,joining the WAC was a big mistake in my opinion. Think back when Candice Whitaker was head coach at UMKC (now HC at Tex Tech ) and how close they came to an NCAA Tournament trip they were,the Jacks winning on a last second failed FG attempt by the Kangaroos. Everone wants to complain about the advantage the Jacks and Yotes enjoy by having the tournament in Sioux Falls, That may be true, but there haven't been too many dominate wins in the championship games in the SL Tournaments history since 2008. Western Illinois just did it last year in WBB,playing against IUPUI no less. Nothing's a guarantee when you play against equal caliber teams,no matter where.
          One thing about the SL tournament in SF . . . if a non-Dakota (okay, someone other than SDSU or USD) team wins the darn thing, they have a puncher's chance in the first round of an NCAA tournament, because the environment in Sioux Falls (assuming playing a Dakota school...okay, SDSU or USD) will be way more adverse than what they'll see in the NCAA tournament. (OK, the NCAA women's tournament is a clusterf*** on this, but go with me here.)

"What does not kill you makes you stronger." -Fredrich Nietzsche
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't see them as being able to afford football and/or baseball, there are few if any deep pockets IMO. Basketball has not been able to gain traction and the media has a full plate re athletics in the metro. I wish them the best but hard to visualize a successful strategy for the revenue sports. Time will tell.

Comment

I am guessing that the UMKC AD was wagering that the Roos would have a better chance of walking into the WAC and winning a conference tourney. That did not materialize. Notice that AD is gone and I think that president is also gone. They spent many years with Matt Brown hoping he could put a team at the top of the Summit. The men's team has never cracked the seal even though the women's team nearly took one in Sioux Falls. Will the Summit welcome back a program that is tipping? UND, Denver, UNO, and the Yotes have been more solid for the growth curve than the Roos. Remember the Roos had the WAC pay the exit fee from the Summit. How will they pay the entrance fee? It is a good geographical fit, but I am not sure Douple is rushing to KC with an offer. UMKC will need to be the aggressor.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                One thing about the SL tournament in SF . . . if a non-Dakota (okay, someone other than SDSU or USD) team wins the darn thing, they have a puncher's chance in the first round of an NCAA tournament, because the environment in Sioux Falls (assuming playing a Dakota school...okay, SDSU or USD) will be way more adverse than what they'll see in the NCAA tournament. (OK, the NCAA women's tournament is a clusterf*** on this, but go with me here.)

"What does not kill you makes you stronger." -Fredrich Nietzsche
                True,it's hard to win in Sioux Falls,but is it that much different than having to play a top 4 seeded team basically on their home court,as is currently the case? Not much whining about that,even though whining probably wouldn't accomplish much when you are whining to the NCAA admittedly.Wait,am i saying the same thing you just said.....sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  I don't see them as being able to afford football and/or baseball, there are few if any deep pockets IMO. Basketball has not been able to gain traction and the media has a full plate re athletics in the metro. I wish them the best but hard to visualize a successful strategy for the revenue sports. Time will tell.
                  This the other side of the coin, the following of athletics by UMKC students and alums is almost nonexistent. SDSU has this only game in town going for them and it makes a differnce. In the future with travel becoming easier, attractions in SF may become competion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    This the other side of the coin, the following of athletics by UMKC students and alums is almost nonexistent. SDSU has this only game in town going for them and it makes a differnce. In the future with travel becoming easier, attractions in SF may become competion.

You could make the same argument about GCU, and they have good crowds, and get support from the community.

Most things are what you make of it.

I believe if they added baseball, had a 5-6K arena on campus and rejoined the Summit League that they could become a respectable D-I mid/low major school

Comment

UMKC is in a brutal spot. Reminds me a lot of UNO but worse. KC is a Chiefs and Royals town. For college, they care about Kansas, Kansas State, and Mizzou.

UMKC isn't even on the radar in KC. They get no coverage and no attendance. Pretty brutal to turn that around.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        You could make the same argument about GCU, and they have good crowds, and get support from the community.

Most things are what you make of it.

I believe if they added baseball, had a 5-6K arena on campus and rejoined the Summit League that they could become a respectable D-I mid/low major school
                        I am stupid! Who is GCU?

Comment

GCU is Grand Canyon University, a for profit college in Phoenix. They are a up and coming basketball team and are in the WAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                            GCU is Grand Canyon University, a for profit college in Phoenix. They are a up and coming basketball team and are in the WAC.
                            Thanks I once went to their game when they were D2 and played in a different facility. They did not have much support back then.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 09-16-2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I went to a couple of games at the Swinney. While playing in a high school gym was anything but pleasant, the it was better than IUPUI (at the Fairgrounds) or ORU. They're probably rattling around in their new venue. Nobody could figure out what they were thinking when they went to the WAC, but the move did give them a good source for December non-league games. I, for one, would be happy to have them back and it's certainly a better fit for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X