X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Re: UMKC Studying Athletics Future

Does anyone know how UMKC was doing, Athletics budget wise, before they left for the WAC and when they were a member of the Summit league? No doubt ,joining the WAC was a big mistake in my opinion. Think back when Candice Whitaker was head coach at UMKC (now HC at Tex Tech ) and how close they came to an NCAA Tournament trip they were, the Jacks winning on a last second failed FG attempt by the Kangaroos. Everone wants to complain about the advantage the Jacks and Yotes enjoy by having the tournament in Sioux Falls, that may be true, but there haven't been too many dominate wins in the championship games in the SL Tournaments history since 2008. Western Illinois just won it last year in WBB, playing against IUPUI no less. Nothing's a guarantee when you play against equal caliber teams, no matter where.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    If I were UMKC and were favoring staying in D-I I would do the following:

1) Start a baseball program. Kansas City is a baseball town.
    2) Start a FCS football program. Yes, we're talking about a lot of $ but they would occupy a unique niche. If they had done this five years ago, it probably would have caught on, but unfortunately for them, Kansas (KC's true home-town college team--sorry, K-State and Mizzou) looks like it's on the upswing football-wise so that window might be closing.
    3) Re-join the Summit League. A regional league that (due in large part to the Dakota schools and, admittedly, UNO) is on the upswing for the only sport that really matters for non-football leagues: men's basketball.

The decision to go to the WAC from the Summit League is utterly unfathomable, if UMKC is having problems funding its athletic programs. The WAC for UMKC is a pure flight league, whereas the Summit is a bus/flight league. No question which one is less expensive.
    UMKC has an excellent dance program. I know a family from Fergus Falls MN who have a daughter who is interested in ballet, and visited the UMKC and was very impressed. UMKC will likely gain one because of their dance program. Athletes does not have a good record at UMKC, possibly Filbert suggestion would work. Worth a try

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

If I were UMKC and were favoring staying in D-I I would do the following:

1) Start a baseball program. Kansas City is a baseball town.
    2) Start a FCS football program. Yes, we're talking about a lot of $ but they would occupy a unique niche. If they had done this five years ago, it probably would have caught on, but unfortunately for them, Kansas (KC's true home-town college team--sorry, K-State and Mizzou) looks like it's on the upswing football-wise so that window might be closing.
    3) Re-join the Summit League. A regional league that (due in large part to the Dakota schools and, admittedly, UNO) is on the upswing for the only sport that really matters for non-football leagues: men's basketball.

The decision to go to the WAC from the Summit League is utterly unfathomable, if UMKC is having problems funding its athletic programs. The WAC for UMKC is a pure flight league, whereas the Summit is a bus/flight league. No question which one is less expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Rabbit74
    started a topic UMKC Studying Athletics Future

UMKC Studying Athletics Future

http://info.umkc.edu/unews/athletics...-issue-report/

UMKC is studying the future role of athletics. The options are dropping intercollegiate athletics, dropping to D2 or changing conferences. Will be interesting to see what happens. The report is due out anyday.
Working...
X