Kansas and the Big 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas and the Big 12

How much noise is out there from the Big 12 about the proximity of the Jayhawks to Kansas City where the tournament is held for the conference? Never mind that they might be the top seed for the tourney. I am watching the game and it sounds an awful lot like a home game for the Jayhawks. Is the tournament intending to rotate the site soon?
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: Kansas and the Big 12

Good point Oldhare. Also, I think a good comparison for the way Mike Daum plays would be Perry Ellis from KU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

It will be at the Sprint Center through 2020. Just extended for 4 years. I think this is the 7th year at this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        It will be at the Sprint Center through 2020. Just extended for 4 years. I think this is the 7th year at this site.
        It looks as though there is not many empty seats. It is probably the cheapest games that a Jayhawk fan can attend for the year.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

There are 9 games in 5 sessions. Sold out in 2014 and 2015 (and I expect most certainly 2016) with a total attendance of 95,000.

Tough ticket! (rubs thumb and forefingers together)

I hope JMD will give us an update of his experience when he has time.

Comment

If tickets are sold like they are at the Big 12 and Summit League tourney, then no way it will move sites. These two conferences have proven that. It is the main money maker, other than football related income and shared money from NCAA men's BB tourney, for the conference offices.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              There are 9 games in 5 sessions. Sold out in 2014 and 2015 (and I expect most certainly 2016) with a total attendance of 95,000.

Tough ticket! (rubs thumb and forefingers together)

I hope JMD will give us an update of his experience when he has time.
              Do you know the cost of the all session tickets?

Comment

IIRC there were 3 levels, the top one was $305. I wish I knew how early those got in the hands of the secondary market and the event was listed as a sell out.

Comment

On a related note, the UW Green Bay is hosting the women's Horizon tourney. All games are held in Green Bay. Green Bay is seeking its 14th tournament title. The top 2 seeds do not play the first 2 rounds. The same thing is scheduled for the men at Detroit in brackets for 10 teams(Detroit would be an easily reached site for the bus league like the Horizon). Green Bay men won that title as they eliminated #1 Valpo and #2 Oakland was also eliminated in a semifinal. 4312 attended the final for men on 3/8/2016. The women played Thursday through Sunday. The women's semifinal had 2342 while the women's final is still being played and there is not a number available. If attendance is one of the goals of the conference title, the current Summit tournament is doing OK.

Comment

Drifting further - MBB Big Sky finals in Reno drew 2516, Western Athletic (UMKC) in Vegas drew 1673!

I'll take our share at the Falls! Go Jacks!

Comment

And drifting further...

I noticed the other day the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) is ranked #26 in conference RPI. Summit League is #11. Furthers my bewilderment why UMKC ever left the Summit League for that conference that hasn't been relevant since the Mountain West was formed.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                        And drifting further...

I noticed the other day the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) is ranked #26 in conference RPI. Summit League is #11. Furthers my bewilderment why UMKC ever left the Summit League for that conference that hasn't been relevant since the Mountain West was formed.
                        One of the reasons our RPI is that high is because of teams like UMKC, Centennial and Southern Utah leaving. Those three teams were consistent bottom feeders and drug down all of the other teams in our conference. It is called addition by subtraction.

Then we added Omaha and Denver, which is better than any of those other three teams that left. Getting ORU back was a bonus for the league. We could use one more team, but I don't want UMKC back.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

UND makes most sense

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            And drifting further...

The Roos may have left with the hope of having an easier conference to compete. They finished 4-10 in conference this year. They also had been promised to host the WAC tourney in Kansas City. The WAC also paid their exit fee from the Summit. The AD who engineered this transition was gone soon after the switch. The WAC may be having more changes soon if Chicago St falls out due to financial concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              How much noise is out there from the Big 12 about the proximity of the Jayhawks to Kansas City where the tournament is held for the conference? Never mind that they might be the top seed for the tourney. I am watching the game and it sounds an awful lot like a home game for the Jayhawks. Is the tournament intending to rotate the site soon?
                              To answer the question, you will hear the occasional grumble, especially from the Texas schools, but the success of KC as a venue for the Big 12 tournament over OKC or Dallas is now pretty obvious to everybody, even people in Austin and Waco.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X